Friendly Advice on a Fishing Boat

Krilling Time

I'm looking to buy my first fishing boat. I'll be using it with my family and will mostly be fishing near Vancouver but would like to be able to do overnight trips as well. I'd like something with an enclosed cabin so it's all weather ready and something that handles well is rough weather so we can go all season. I'd spend up to $70k. Anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at used Skagit Orca and Ospreys. Could use some helpful advice - I'm not that boat informed.

Thanks in advance.

dont know if someone miss understood me but I was saying to the original poster of the thread that when he is looking for a boat I would look for outboards.

I like your boat also sir reel!!! And I like diesels

Nakoda boater I might buy a seasport one day when I retire and get more time to go to the ocean not for 31 more years I guess.

Victoria Boat Show had a brand new hard top w/glass Striper w/250 Yammie on a trailer for $72k.
Still require kicker and electronics but a screaming deal non the less, that was a couple years ago though...
If you are new to boats I would recommend outboard power. Have fun!

$50-70K will get you a very good boat. Grady Whites, Pursuits and Whalers are options you should consider. Wellcraft has a nice Alaskan cabin. If you are in to deisels i think Albamarles are a nice set up. While people are down on the US dóllar, you cant beat the selection you get in the states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you are on the right track with your interest in the Orca. They are very safe and exceptional sea boats and if you had to beat back to Van. in heavy weather you would feel safer in one than in many other boats. My personal fantasy purchase favorite. Had a friend sell one with a new diesel and two props on one leg set up in it for around $80,000.

I would say you are on the right track with your interest in the Orca. They are very safe and exceptional sea boats and if you had to beat back to Van. in heavy weather you would feel safer in one than in many other boats. My personal fantasy purchase favorite. Had a friend sell one with a new diesel and two props on one leg set up in it for around $80,000.
I love my Orca-had it 12 years-fished it hard on WCVI and still looks great, no structural, seakeeping issues-Id buy it again!! Tough to find a used one!

I'm sure that government surplus boat was an RCMP undercover boat. Steve Nelson sold that boat back in 95. I think me and Steve went down in my boat to get a factory repair done to my Seasport and he came along to pick that boat up as it was ready to be delivered and it was much cheaper to run it back. I have a picture of my boat running back on that trip that was taken by Steve from that boat as we ran side by side back to Sidney.

I'm sure that government surplus boat was an RCMP undercover boat. Steve Nelson sold that boat back in 95. I think me and Steve went down in my boat to get a factory repair done to my Seasport and he came along to pick that boat up as it was ready to be delivered and it was much cheaper to run it back. I have a picture of my boat running back on that trip that was taken by Steve from that boat as we ran side by side back to Sidney.

Cool history

What do you guys think of this boat? It's a 97 Skagit Orca 24xlc with a 2007 250 outboard. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4962313044.html

Personally I am drooling. The only thing I would wonder about and it is probably a non-issue is the HP. I have a 225 hp outboard on a smaller and lighter boat and that Orca has only 25 hp more on the much heavier and larger Orca. Perhaps some of the guys who have them can advise on how much power they have on their Orca 24’s. A 250 may power it just fine but a 300 may not work as hard. 75 hours on the main is just broke in and a lot of people like the Szuk’s. If you are serious about it and they don’t have a recent survey, it could be worth it given the kind of money involved and chances are your insurance company may want the survey anyway given the age of the hull. It would likely cost you a few hundred and I would tell them it is a purchase survey and you are particularly interested in any possible rot. My marine insurer wants one done every 5 years. Don't have any experience with the Szuks, but I expect you can have a dealer run a print out off of it's computer which will tell you its history. You can do that on my Merc.

Great advice everyone. I really appreciate it. Will ensure that I do a hull survey and mechanical/electrical on whatever boat I go with. I assume a 250 is on the good to go on the Skagit Orca just because it seems like that's what I've seen on all of them but if anyone knows otherwise I'd love to hear.

Back