Fishing & the internet

I agree with you RTF but the internet wasnt the only factor in this and NO I wont post my fav halibut spots!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or my hunting,quadding,mushroom spots there all the same to me MINE I worked hard to get them and want to keep them Im more secretive towards my fav hunting spots or mushroom holes as I cant control if someone sees me on the water.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

I know a few guides I know that do hold ther secrets. Get a guest on board, and backed turned hiding the precious secret as they rig the anchovy. I don't give them a hard time I just think it is funny...lol

Smiley66

Wow, I can't believe there are guides out there who actually do that. My only reason for paying for a charter would be to learn a new area or techniques I don't practice. I would spread the guides name far and wide if he ever pulled that BS on a charter I had paid for. To me, the only reason I would pay for a charter locally is too learn some new info. Any charter captain that secretive doesn't deserve my business.

That is why I attempt to fish with someone new every year. Everybody does things a little bit differently, and you're never to old o try something new. Fishing with different people is the best way to learn new techniques. The internet is great but there's no substitute for on the water experience.

Charlie...anyone who has emailed me from this forum will tell you I help them on the area. I tell them how to fish the area as well as what works best. I do not tell them specfic spots that aren't super well known...but will tell them exactly how I rig my gear and tell them to come see me down at the dock if they want to be shown as well. This year had a couple that couldn't hit halibut and even gave them some spots that he had never heard of. By no means do I not help those in need...I just prefer not to tell them the exact locations I am fishing.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

quote:Originally posted by profisher

It still comes back to a simple question...forget the internet and sharing info...its is too late to worry about that, the percentage of good fishers on the water is higher than in the past...how many "new" good fishermen can a specific terminal fishery handle? Think back to Bamfield in the mid-nineties when Whittlestone and I think it was Robbers Pass were total nightmares. I have a picture taken at that pass and when I show customers they can't believe the boats. Give all those guys better skills and then multiply the boats by 4 or 5...in other words look into a future without any forethought into growth. Will those runs sustain it? Will limits have to go down to accommodate the added pressure? Will there be short closures to reduce the take? I know it. The trend has been going in that direction for sometime now and it will continue!
Well, I hate to say this, but those days are in the "past" and they had nothing to do with the internet or anyone posting any locations or coordinates on this forum! But yet still crowded, eh, thanks for proving that point! :D

The number of anglers has actually gone down since the mid 1900's. You can give all the information you want, but there will still be 10% of the fishermen, catching 90% of the fish. In the case of salmon the number is actually closer to 10% of the fishermen, catch about 45% of the fish. That number isn't going to change as the others don't have the experience or patience. So, there is less pressure on the fishery than there was in the mid 90's. But, in your defense... I believe "BC" also has less fish! That is why we are seeing more and more offshore every year! Your “terminal” fisheries are not being properly supported by Ottawa and it is getting worse!

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

I agree profisher, One just had to look at our neighbours to the south...boy do I hope we don't end up there.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you my friend, but your neighbors to the south - know they screwed up, recognized the mistakes, and are in process of rebuilding the salmon stocks. Where do you think those lovely springs you caught this summer came from Port Alberni or the Fraser? Unfortunately, I do NOT believe that is case with Ottawa? All I see there is a lot of talk on how they need to "save" the wild salmon, while cutting the budgets? Sheese... that is twice I used Ottawa, in the same post!

You are right, the US is doing something, unfortunately massive (and expensive) hatchery programs are not the holy grail to save Pacific salmon.

I wish this country would look at the mistakes others have made, and make sure we don't...but I won't hold my breath :(

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Charlie...anyone who has emailed me from this forum will tell you I help them on the area. I tell them how to fish the area as well as what works best. I do not tell them specfic spots that aren't super well known...but will tell them exactly how I rig my gear and tell them to come see me down at the dock if they want to be shown as well. This year had a couple that couldn't hit halibut and even gave them some spots that he had never heard of. By no means do I not help those in need...I just prefer not to tell them the exact locations I am fishing.
David, there is no doubt in my feeble little mind that you don't help people. A lat/lon saves a person time over just giving a location name. If the location is offshore... a name does no good to an individual without showing it on a map or giving the lat/lon.

The individuals posting BS, is the ones that brought this on. Let me give just a couple of examples and yes there are more, but I am not spending any more time on this or explaining my position.

The Post:</u>
“Not much posted, cause the fishin has been so awesome!! Charter boats are still out the Caution, Indian Cove, Raioner and Bremner, limiting out on Springs....Hit the other side too, Roller bay, Secretary point, Mexicana, etc. And don't forget Duval pt, 60 ft with a green Hootchie”

The Response:</u>
“I'll say it right now...Xxx Xxx....you know who we are ....give me a call so we can have a chat.....”
That comment, is complete BS and totally uncalled for!

The Post:</u>
Conspicuous silence about Pt. Hardy. O.K., I'll admit it: other then a spring after only my first 10 minutes of fishing off the Gordons, I ended up with pain and suffering and a big skunk last August.

Should I bite the bullet and take my chances last week of August or go to the other side of the Island which seems to continue having pretty good reports. Thanks for spilling the beans, or at least flipping one of them out on the table....

I don't think hardy has been that good at all this year from what I've heard. Also it seems the local guides don't want to share reports so I think that is why you don't read much about the area this year.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but this year has been the best year in Hardy since I was born. I have never seen this many fish ever. I had spring salmon swimming around my boat thet other day. I can count one one hand the days I have not limited out by 10am. Just got back from the morning on the water, another limit out morning with my biggest spring being 32#. As for local guides not wanting to give up their spots, most of us do not have a problem giving them up just have to ask, might not get the secret secret spots but you will get good info. I have spent years hunting for my spots and generally don't hand them out to just anyone. Most good fisherman would be able to find fish no matter where they go.

Kind of sounds like the only thing going to get shared is "left overs", doesn't it? It was right after the last post when I said enough is enough... if you guys don't want to help, I will and I posted "MY" locations with the lat/lon! Which BTW, are well over 10 years old!

Let's just say, if people want to play games, I am okay with that! However, if someone does have a question and is not getting an answer, if I know the answer... they are going to get it, period! Especially if I see BS comments like the above!

I really don't have the beef here? I think it has been, enuf said?

Not to harp on the Hardy thing, but with the way the economy is you'd figure they'd want all the exposure up there they can get. I didn't travel to Hardy this year, but it looked pretty hard hit by the downturn in the economy last year compared to the year before.

If I were the Port Hardy chamber of commerce I'd try to make sure there were weekly fishing reports posted here. This is probably the most widely read fishing forum in the province. Accurate, timely fishing reports from the area would go a long ways towards getting anglers to go there. The reports coming from Hardy the summer before last probably did more to give Hardy a black eye than anything else. The reports must provide accurate trustworthy information, to attract anglers to spend their dollars there. Other forums I belong to have regular reports from Vancouver charter outfits who do a good job of accurately reporting where the actions been. If the fishing is slow and requires a run across the straight to Thrasher Rock to get fish they say so. I think a little more info, and a little less secrecy would go a long ways to helping the Port Hardy economy durring these tough times.

Charlie..yes technically there are less licenses sold than in the 90's. But as fish become more scarce in ones home waters, fishers start to looking to make trips to so called hot spots. Those who have never considered a road trip before as they had all the fish they needed at home...half of Campbell River is now in Nootka during the summer, you and other US boats continue to leave your home waters, I see many of the boats I fish with in Sooke up in Nootka. Port Renfrew has grown big time in the past few years, can that local run handle it? In other words we are all bunching up and hitting specific runs hard...and as fishing continues to get worse at home, more will join in. Shouldn't we have some concerns and be talking about it instead of doing nothing (like DFO) waiting for forced on restrictions.

As said before profisher, I do not believe our angling efforts in the ocean do have a significant effect on the salmon stocks. The stats do not support that there are more fish caught by the sporties, nor are there many more anglers, nor would I say they have become a lot more accomplished. There are some oldtimers with old fashioned equipment who still outfish many of the Stripers and Gradys with radar/sonar/gps etc. I believe the benefits of a larger or better informed sportfishing community by far out-weigh the maybe more densified pressure. Where we could do a lot more is supporting restoration projects by donations of cash and time AND reviewing our own ethics how to treat and handle fish (catch and release or bycatch avoidance practices etc.).

Catch and release is the answer.The sport fishing community could reduce thier catch by huge amounts and still have enough to eat.But I think this will never happen because you have guys egos involved.

JandJ2

Question: if it is only catch and release as I presume you imply, how will there be enough to eat with nothing in the box?

Catching and keeping a fish for food is not a bad thing. Ocean fishing is far more about providing quality food to your family from your fishing endeavours than freshwater fishing. Retention fisheries must be managed properly by having a handle on what abundance is and avoiding over fishing. If you go to catch and release exclusively that is no longer the reason to fish for food and the 'naysayers' (antis) just point at you as being cruel by wanting to harm, play and torment a fish for sport.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

All I'm going to say is what an idiot! You do have a feeble little mind to say **** like that. Don't help people? Screw off... Whatever bud...If you are ever in Hardy be sure to let me know....
I will probably be there around the first week of June... just look for a 30' BW!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Governor I do not mean you have to release every fish, just that we practice some conservation.I enjoy eating salmon as much as the next guy but I also know how long a decent size fish will last me.

Profisher, I Unfortunately have to agree with our home waters comment! The “hot spots” have always been there and over fished. I do think DFO did do something right in trying to conserve the Canadian fish. Especially since they are reducing production from the hatcheries? I think you are a little low in your “half” of Campbell River is now in Nootka, but I guess I can agree with that, when the other “half” is in Esperanza!

Everyone knows our fishery in Puget Sound has been nonexistent for years. Everything here is on the endangered species list, but it is getting better. That said, the sad thing I see BC going down that path? I spent about 2 weeks at Renfrew this year… Yep! Saw a lot more boats there this year than ever! Renfrew can handle the pressure, as long as the US keeps stocking it! :) Under the current philosophy there is NO WAY, BC stocks can withstand the pressure put on their local fisheries, including Nootka which is probably the strongest BC fishery on WCVI!

“Shouldn’t we have concerns and be talking about it…”? You bet, I am now up to 14 letters written to different Canadian agencies expressing my concern of the BC fishery; to include, the fish farm sea lice issue! I surely hope more do join in, as I think your “government” see letters from us Yanks and just throw them in file 13, we aren't voters! If more Canucks write and voice their concerns, maybe somethings will change? I hope so!

BTW... catch and release really doesn't work that well using "treble" hooks. I saw that this year off Beechie! :(

quote:Originally posted by jandj2

Catch and release is the answer.The sport fishing community could reduce thier catch by huge amounts and still have enough to eat.But I think this will never happen because you have guys egos involved.

I think you a correct, catch and release is a huge part of the answer. Even third world countries are realizing that to keep their sport fishing sector vibrant C&R is required. This is a quote from a Mexican sportfishing site.

"Today, the overall billfish release rate at very progressive Cabo San Lucas is estimated at more than 95 percent."

http://www.mexfish.com/cabosanlucas.htm

Why can they grasp this concept in a third world country, yet we are so resistant to change in our own home saltwaters. While some of you may complain about the internets influence on fishing, I think this is one of it's greatest benefits. It helps educate anglers in ethical matters, conservation concerns, good fish handling practices, etc,etc,etc. This is vital if Salmon are to survive for future generations to still enjoy sportfishing opportunities.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

BTW... catch and release really doesn't work that well using "treble" hooks. I saw that this year off Beechie! :(

Trebles are totaly unsuited to C&R, and I think the time is coming when they will be outlawed for Salmon fishing. I started out running two single barbless this summer on the west coast. I had problems releasing a few fish, so I switched to one single siwash hook. Still caught lots of fish, and had absolutely no problems doing a live release in the water without ever touching a fish. I kept one Spring and three coho in over three weeks there. That's plenty of fish for my family as far as I'm concerned. I happily released the rest of the Salmon, and brought back a few lings.

I could have kept far more, but that would have been excessive as far as I'm concerned. I think voluntarily not keeping our limits, goes a long ways towards preserving good fishing. Just my opinion, but it's nice to be able to express it, so maybe others might start to think likewise. Long live the Internet.

My stats for this year's catch, which is pretty good considering the amount of time spent fishing this year:
Chinook- 2 1/2 (the 1/2 is sharecropping)
Coho- 4
Pink- 6
Halibut- 4
Rockfish- 1
My freezer is not that empty looking.
For a family of two we have enough to last us through winter.
While I wish I could have caught more I am quite content with what I have supplied for food,knowing none will go to waste. If we could all keep only what we needed to feed ourselves do you think the impact would be substantial enough to propagate the stocks?
I'm interested to see how other people have done this year-may shed some light on what the general consensus is on adequate food stores to feed oneself.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Not trying to drag this too far off topic, but I know several long time fishers at china creek who have bragged to me that they have kept over 200 sockeye in a season. To me there is no way you can justify that kind of retention for personal use. They both do weekly runs home to drop off as many fish as possible. Then people wonder why the Sockeyes shut down more often than it's open? Hopefully, with forums like this people may change there attitudes a little bit, and realize how destructive that is.

Back