Fishing & the internet

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Ok I take it back have to argue one point...yes the commercial fleet was bought out...but I have to ask why did it get bought out? Were they willing to get bought out? Of coarse they wanted out, to many boats and too few fish left to make it profitable. That to me is collapse. Now Charlie..there are no daggers here being thrown...just stating my view.
Okay, here's the history lesson for the day! I do have references for this, also! No daggers, please! :D

It all started with the 1985 Pacific Salmon Treaty! That agreement was "basically", each country would reimburse the other for salmon intercepted that originated in the other's waters. There were some other things, but that and the Fraser was the "biggies". Hmmm… Canada started limiting commercial TAC. I guess they didn't want to write the U.S. any checks? But, I sure bet they got their checks for the salmon SEAK harvested. Also, I bet you in B.C. saw very little of those moneys! Sneaky little devils!

That treaty fell apart in 1992 and there were some very tense times if one remembers; tariffs, blockades, some shutting down of commercial and sport fisheries, lawsuits, etc. I bet some remember those "good old" days. I think it was referred as the, "U.S. – Canadian Salmon War"? The biggest issue on the table during that time was the amount of U.S. fish intercepted by B.C.'s commercial fleet. During that time there were a couple of years I debated whether to fish WCVI, due to the tension! I wasn't sure how a "Yank" would be welcomed. Think about that one, a Yank going salmon fishing to a remote spot on WCVI during a U.S. - Canadian Salmon war? BTW... I was treated very well during those years! :)

The fleet had some good years during that time. Then it all came to a head in 1998. The B.C. commercial fleet's fate was sealed! Canada and the U.S. signed the Salmon Treaty of 1999. According to U.S. studies, the "lower" Columbia River Chinook, which are those nice big "hatchery" fish caught on the southern end of Vancouver Island and WCVI. Well they don't go much farther north than Vancouver Island and most actually reside on the outer banks. The "upper" Columbia River Chinook, which are mostly those nice bigger "wild" fish. They migrate up to and reside SEAK. During 1993 and 1998, the B.C. commercials were catching all those nice Columbia River Chinook right off WCVI and in QCI! Canada knew it, verified it, and drove that thorn in the side of the U.S. and they used the commercial fleet to do it. The U.S wanted it stopped and it only cost them $140 million. For that small sum Canada pulled the plug on the B.C. commercial TAC… game over! Told you earlier, those commercial guys were good!

Also, just as a sub note: The Canadian Government did not have any B.C. Stakeholders or representatives during the 1999 treaty negotiations and there is now a new treaty in effect as of 2009. The later didn't cost as much!

If you would like to read the CRS Report for Congress: http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/marine/mar-36.cfm

CommercialCatch.jpg

Oh...
BTW, concerning your hatcheries! You might want to think about that, if you cut your "smolt" production by 2/3, you will probably have 2/3 less returning? That fishery TAC has all ready been reduced... it is called surf line, non retention of 77cm, and one over and one under.

How the hell do they know what the receational catch is ???
surely they do not rely on Creel census alone for those numbers ??

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

How the hell do they know what the receational catch is ???
surely they do not rely on Creel census alone for those numbers ??
"Tidal water anglers surveyed in DFO’s 2000 Survey of Recreational Fishing in Canada claimed to have kept an average of 5.2 fish of all species and these recall numbers probably are biased on the high side. For example, respondents to the survey claimed to have caught 239,783 chinook salmon while the DFO creel survey says the actual number was 133,248.19 The difference between these two numbers highlights the need for accurate catch monitoring to support conservation efforts."
If you check the report to DFO... they used 123,353? Hmmm! I'll let you figure that one out! :)

BTW... I did state the commercials were bought and paid for... I should have really stated the BC Commercial Fishery was "bought and paid for" by the U.S. and "Sold Out" by Ottawa! It is my opinion the same thing is currently happening with the BC Wild Salmon, but it isn't the U.S. doing the buying this time... It would be Norway! :(

Part of the increase in commercial take of Chinook and Coho (2003-2004 etc)is based on a redirect from the lack of sockeye opportunity. Also the 55,000 or so Chinook pieces they gave the west coast troll in the early spring fishery. American fish being the target. (a total BS fishery)
I do also believe that wild salmon are now considered a pain in the butt for DFO..they don't need them anymore. Few commercial guys left, lots of rivers to dam for hydro power if the pesky wild salmon would only go away and less cost to manage a few fish farmers. I sadly see a day coming when BC will look a lot like Washington does now. Closed except for short periods, small quota openings, no fishing 2 days of the week, etc etc. Charlie we can all share costs to get our rigs up to Alaska at that point!

Part of the increase in commercial take of Chinook and Coho (2003-2004 etc)is based on a redirect from the lack of sockeye opportunity. Also the 55,000 or so Chinook pieces they gave the west coast troll in the early spring fishery. American fish being the target. (a total BS fishery)
I do also believe that wild salmon are now considered a pain in the butt for DFO..they don't need them anymore. Few commercial guys left, lots of rivers to dam for hydro power if the pesky wild salmon would only go away and less cost to manage a few fish farmers. I sadly see a day coming when BC will look a lot like Washington does now. Closed except for short periods, small quota openings, no fishing 2 days of the week, etc etc. Charlie we can all share costs to get our rigs up to Alaska at that point!
Yep!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

I probably know as much as most of the members on this forum, when it comes to fishing salmon on Vancouver Island. And, I probably share most of the information I have learned over the years. Almost everything I have learned from others. Very little of the techniques I use have been developed by me, ever though there are a few. I have fished the entire WCVI and most of the ECVI and have truly enjoyed going to the new places and learning the different techniques from everyone over the years. However, one doesn't know the real reason for my trek… and there was a reason, it is called "people"! Throughout the years, I kept moving north just to get away from all the people!

Let me see if I can get this timeline right?
30 years ago: Ucluelet and Bamfield were the hot spots on the WCVI, with Tofino coming in a close third. Campbell River was the spot on the ECVI, period and it was where all the families went. There were limited facilities on the WCVI. The above were truly fishing villages, with Campbell River being the exception. It was a true town. Electric downriggers were not allowed and if you could not properly cut plug a herring, you weren't going to catch a fish! We didn't have flashers or teaser heads. Most used chrome dodgers, which I still have. I am not sure, but I doubt if most on this forum was even born? There was NO Internet!

Around 25 years ago: The above were still the hot spots and Campbell River was still the spot on ECVI; however, the Campbell River collapse started in 1992 and the fishery was pretty much finished by 1995, but it was still a crowded place. On the other side, in 95 while fishing Ucluelet it got so crowded, I couldn't even go off the back of the boat, due to the number of women and families that year. It was crowded all the way from Wya Point down to Bamfield and the fishing was bad close to shore. The guides and "cattle boats", did run offshore to the Big Bank and I followed them. Due to the crowds, I opted to move farther north to "get away". None of you… guides included, had even heard of "Ferrer Point", but guess what, I was there and fishing it… and I was all by myself! By then I was using electric downriggers, flashers, and teaser heads and was knocking them dead and they were big. I was one of maybe four or five sport boats in Tahsis. You didn't need reservations anywhere north of Tofino! Westview Marine, Critter Cove, Gold River Fish Camp, Rodgers Fishing Lodge all had just started up. There was one other lodge in Tahsis Narrows, called Ceepeecee. By 1997 "guide boats started showing at Ferrer, coming out of Campbell River, Ucluelet, Bamfield, and Port Alberni. I went from the only boat in 1996 to counting about 75 boats there in 1998. Guess what guys? I did not tell a soul, nor did any of my fishing partners, as the fishing was so good, we all swore secrecy. By then everyone was using electric downriggers, flashers, and teaser heads. There was still very little Internet!

Around 20 years ago: There was NO fishery to speak of in Nootka, until 1994 and it really didn't start getting good till 1995 and 96. The crowds didn't start showing in force, until ALL the lodges started popping up with "guides", that was around 1997. Prior to that, there were only a couple of guides in Tahsis, anyone remember "Red"? Critter didn't have any, one at Gold River Fish Camp, the owner... and lodge and guide at Friendly Cove. None of the rest of you existed! By 1998, there were people and guides fishing ALL OVER THE PLACE! My secret wasn't so secret anymore. At least most members on this forum was now born. Some lodges, guides, and marinas were starting to advertise… But still, very little Internet.

About 10 Years ago: I moved farther north to Kyuquot and Winter Harbour, still "to get away from the crowds"! The first time I went to Walters Cove, I had to arrange for fuel, as they had no fuel dock. I remember thinking and stating, finally a place we can fish "without crowds". All the way there, I kept thinking that! Well was I surprised! When I pulled in at Spring Island, what did I find? About 25-30 sport fishing boats, along with a "fleet" of guides from Murphy's Sport Fishing, out of Ucluelet. The first time at Winter Harbour, during the first week of August, I was one of the sport boats on the government dock. There were quite a few sport boats in the private marina and the campground across the road was full of campers and trailers. When I went out fishing there were sport boats all over the place; to include all the way from Brooks to Cox. I still don't know where all those boats came from? I do have to admit there was not a boat at Triangle! Most people were just now getting on the Internet!

5 years ago: I believe everyone in the world is on the internet! Nevertheless, I fighting the crowd hasn't changed for well over 20 years! It is not much better or worse these days, than then.

Concerning the commercial fleet, I have seen the BC salmon commercial fleet go from a robust industry to basically a "dead" industry. Even 20 years ago, those boys were bringing in some serious salmon! I used to be amazed at the amount of salmon those boats would off load… and it was day after day, boat after boat! I do not believe the sport sector could ever compete with the amount of fish I have seen brought in, in their prime. You keep thinking about their TAC now; think about their TAC 20 years ago? Some sport anglers and guides might be good, but don't flatter yourself… they were better! There is no way the sport sector will ever take that much salmon, especially knowing most of the fish was coming in from offshore!

Now concerning sharing knowledge. That is strictly a personal preference, which I chose to do. In addition, I will continue to do so. There are approximately 3000 members on this forum and they all do not read the saltwater section, but even if all did - that is only a drop in the bucket, compared to the number of total anglers fishing off Vancouver Island and really do you think they are all going to go out and catch their limits? "Secrets", "Prefer keeping to myself", "Years to learn", "etc"… Give me a break! Like I said it is strictly a personal preference to share information or not, but don't anyone flatter yourself with that either. I seriously doubt if there is a person on this forum (myself included) that has developed any secret or unknown technique to catch a salmon. Years to learn? Not years to learn, if it has taken years to learn, something is wrong; however, years to perfect, I would certainly agree with! Most will never perfect it. That is were 10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish, yep! I agree with that and I really don't think that will ever change. That is one reason I don't mind sharing the information! I am one of those 10 percent. What I have found over the years (many times over) is you can explain and tell someone everything you know; to include, what, where, when, and how, but they have to perfect it themselves. That is the trick… only 10 percent will ever effectively learn how to catch a fish, let alone a salmon! I don't think that will ever change!

I guess this was a little more than 2 cents, eh? :)

I personally love it when you post way points on the internet about our area...
It takes us alot of time and fuel to find alot of these places and poof...just like that....you feel it necessary to post way points.
When I saw it on another thread I couldn't believe it.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

quote:Originally posted by richmake

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

I probably know as much as most of the members on this forum, when it comes to fishing salmon on Vancouver Island. And, I probably share most of the information I have learned over the years. Almost everything I have learned from others. Very little of the techniques I use have been developed by me, ever though there are a few. I have fished the entire WCVI and most of the ECVI and have truly enjoyed going to the new places and learning the different techniques from everyone over the years. However, one doesn't know the real reason for my trek… and there was a reason, it is called "people"! Throughout the years, I kept moving north just to get away from all the people!

Let me see if I can get this timeline right?
30 years ago: Ucluelet and Bamfield were the hot spots on the WCVI, with Tofino coming in a close third. Campbell River was the spot on the ECVI, period and it was where all the families went. There were limited facilities on the WCVI. The above were truly fishing villages, with Campbell River being the exception. It was a true town. Electric downriggers were not allowed and if you could not properly cut plug a herring, you weren't going to catch a fish! We didn't have flashers or teaser heads. Most used chrome dodgers, which I still have. I am not sure, but I doubt if most on this forum was even born? There was NO Internet!

Around 25 years ago: The above were still the hot spots and Campbell River was still the spot on ECVI; however, the Campbell River collapse started in 1992 and the fishery was pretty much finished by 1995, but it was still a crowded place. On the other side, in 95 while fishing Ucluelet it got so crowded, I couldn't even go off the back of the boat, due to the number of women and families that year. It was crowded all the way from Wya Point down to Bamfield and the fishing was bad close to shore. The guides and "cattle boats", did run offshore to the Big Bank and I followed them. Due to the crowds, I opted to move farther north to "get away". None of you… guides included, had even heard of "Ferrer Point", but guess what, I was there and fishing it… and I was all by myself! By then I was using electric downriggers, flashers, and teaser heads and was knocking them dead and they were big. I was one of maybe four or five sport boats in Tahsis. You didn't need reservations anywhere north of Tofino! Westview Marine, Critter Cove, Gold River Fish Camp, Rodgers Fishing Lodge all had just started up. There was one other lodge in Tahsis Narrows, called Ceepeecee. By 1997 "guide boats started showing at Ferrer, coming out of Campbell River, Ucluelet, Bamfield, and Port Alberni. I went from the only boat in 1996 to counting about 75 boats there in 1998. Guess what guys? I did not tell a soul, nor did any of my fishing partners, as the fishing was so good, we all swore secrecy. By then everyone was using electric downriggers, flashers, and teaser heads. There was still very little Internet!

Around 20 years ago: There was NO fishery to speak of in Nootka, until 1994 and it really didn't start getting good till 1995 and 96. The crowds didn't start showing in force, until ALL the lodges started popping up with "guides", that was around 1997. Prior to that, there were only a couple of guides in Tahsis, anyone remember "Red"? Critter didn't have any, one at Gold River Fish Camp, the owner... and lodge and guide at Friendly Cove. None of the rest of you existed! By 1998, there were people and guides fishing ALL OVER THE PLACE! My secret wasn't so secret anymore. At least most members on this forum was now born. Some lodges, guides, and marinas were starting to advertise… But still, very little Internet.

About 10 Years ago: I moved farther north to Kyuquot and Winter Harbour, still "to get away from the crowds"! The first time I went to Walters Cove, I had to arrange for fuel, as they had no fuel dock. I remember thinking and stating, finally a place we can fish "without crowds". All the way there, I kept thinking that! Well was I surprised! When I pulled in at Spring Island, what did I find? About 25-30 sport fishing boats, along with a "fleet" of guides from Murphy's Sport Fishing, out of Ucluelet. The first time at Winter Harbour, during the first week of August, I was one of the sport boats on the government dock. There were quite a few sport boats in the private marina and the campground across the road was full of campers and trailers. When I went out fishing there were sport boats all over the place; to include all the way from Brooks to Cox. I still don't know where all those boats came from? I do have to admit there was not a boat at Triangle! Most people were just now getting on the Internet!

5 years ago: I believe everyone in the world is on the internet! Nevertheless, I fighting the crowd hasn't changed for well over 20 years! It is not much better or worse these days, than then.

Concerning the commercial fleet, I have seen the BC salmon commercial fleet go from a robust industry to basically a "dead" industry. Even 20 years ago, those boys were bringing in some serious salmon! I used to be amazed at the amount of salmon those boats would off load… and it was day after day, boat after boat! I do not believe the sport sector could ever compete with the amount of fish I have seen brought in, in their prime. You keep thinking about their TAC now; think about their TAC 20 years ago? Some sport anglers and guides might be good, but don't flatter yourself… they were better! There is no way the sport sector will ever take that much salmon, especially knowing most of the fish was coming in from offshore!

Now concerning sharing knowledge. That is strictly a personal preference, which I chose to do. In addition, I will continue to do so. There are approximately 3000 members on this forum and they all do not read the saltwater section, but even if all did - that is only a drop in the bucket, compared to the number of total anglers fishing off Vancouver Island and really do you think they are all going to go out and catch their limits? "Secrets", "Prefer keeping to myself", "Years to learn", "etc"… Give me a break! Like I said it is strictly a personal preference to share information or not, but don't anyone flatter yourself with that either. I seriously doubt if there is a person on this forum (myself included) that has developed any secret or unknown technique to catch a salmon. Years to learn? Not years to learn, if it has taken years to learn, something is wrong; however, years to perfect, I would certainly agree with! Most will never perfect it. That is were 10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish, yep! I agree with that and I really don't think that will ever change. That is one reason I don't mind sharing the information! I am one of those 10 percent. What I have found over the years (many times over) is you can explain and tell someone everything you know; to include, what, where, when, and how, but they have to perfect it themselves. That is the trick… only 10 percent will ever effectively learn how to catch a fish, let alone a salmon! I don't think that will ever change!

I guess this was a little more than 2 cents, eh? :)

I personally love it when you post way points on the internet about our area...
It takes us alot of time and fuel to find alot of these places and poof...just like that....you feel it necessary to post way points.
When I saw it on another thread I couldn't believe it.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf
Actually, I have fished those areas you are talking about!

If I remember right, and if you remember right? I sent YOU</u> an email, “help the guy out”. Neither he nor I got a response? Am I wrong?

Like I said… sharing information is a “personal” preference”… I chose to share, if you do not that is fine with me. But, if someone asks a question and YOU don’t respond… guess what, I WILL!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink!

Please don’t get me started on the “Port Hardy” fishery… YOU really will not like the outcome!

Charlie, just read the repeat post..Nootka was not a crowded spot until the early 90"s when the hatchery production came on line. The area exploded with commercial interest soon after. (lodges etc) Prior to that there were locals who visited the area annually...they stayed close to Camel Rock and in the real early days fished Muchalet Inlet...Gold & Burnham stocks were the main target. This goes back to the 60's. Boats were smaller, facilities were none existent it was really remote. No one ventured out to the light, Bajo, Ferrier, Pin etc for a few reasons, they didn't have to...fishing was good everywhere, you had to pack in all your gas, boats were smaller and less reliable back then, no gps/plotters and there were no crowds on the inside.
Also flashers (Hot Spot) goes back to the 70's I believe and the strip and minnow teasers back to the 60's. The most recent addition has been anchovies instead of minnows and herring. I think anchovies became available in the late 70's but not exactly sure..just know I was fairly young then. Anchovie Specials came in the 80's. One thing that should be mentioned is how much of the local fishing tackle and gear has been developed, manufactured and distributed out of the Victoria/Sooke area. Proportionately it is huge for such a small town. Scotty, Islander, Oki, Hot Spot, Krippled Lures, Peetz, Tomic, Palco, Roy Smith, Radiant and more...sorry if I missed ya!

You can tell when guys are not getting out onto the water as often. It's the end of a busy season and we are starting to get thrilled about doing friendly battle with one another on the forum.

I didn't see any waypoints written. I saw some places named. Actually alot of places. Not a secret they exist. The pro will know anyway and the newb won't make anything from that very vague info given by Charlie anyway.

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

highlights...Charlie posted exactly GPS co-ordinates...the newb (who are usually the ones who don't know what they are doing and will cut off several fish) could pin point it. Kinda ridiculous actually.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

It must have been removed because I still do not see actual coordinates anywhere in this thread.?????????

If he did then yes that would be considered too much info but in the quote above those coordinates are no longer there.

Am I missing something?

highlights...Charlie posted exactly GPS co-ordinates...the newb (who are usually the ones who don't know what they are doing and will cut off several fish)</u> could pin point it. Kinda ridiculous actually.

WOW... YOU NEVER LOSE A FISH... I am impressed! I just lost one yesterday! Off course I guess you need to define "cut off"? If you are referring to having some one "cut off" a fish you have on, I haven't had that happen for years? And believe that was actually a "GUIDE" out of Nootka that cut it off![:0]

I will be happy to repost them again, if anyone missed them? :D[}:)]

Charlie, just read the repeat post..Nootka was not a crowded spot until the early 90"s when the hatchery production came on line. The area exploded with commercial interest soon after. (lodges etc) Prior to that there were locals who visited the area annually...they stayed close to Camel Rock and in the real early days fished Muchalet Inlet...Gold & Burnham stocks were the main target. This goes back to the 60's. Boats were smaller, facilities were none existent it was really remote. No one ventured out to the light, Bajo, Ferrier, Pin etc for a few reasons, they didn't have to...fishing was good everywhere, you had to pack in all your gas, boats were smaller and less reliable back then, no gps/plotters and there were no crowds on the inside.
Also flashers (Hot Spot) goes back to the 70's I believe and the strip and minnow teasers back to the 60's. The most recent addition has been anchovies instead of minnows and herring. I think anchovies became available in the late 70's but not exactly sure..just know I was fairly young then. Anchovie Specials came in the 80's. One thing that should be mentioned is how much of the local fishing tackle and gear has been developed, manufactured and distributed out of the Victoria/Sooke area. Proportionately it is huge for such a small town. Scotty, Islander, Oki, Hot Spot, Krippled Lures, Peetz, Tomic, Palco, Roy Smith, Radiant and more...sorry if I missed ya!

Nootka area has always had a fishery, so maybe I should have said "major¨ fishery, So I'll change my comment, just for you! :)

"There was NO "MAJOR" fishery to speak of in Nootka, until 1994 and it really didn't start getting good till 1995 and 96. The crowds didn't start showing in force, until ALL the lodges started popping up with "guides", that was around 1997. Prior to that, there were only a couple of guides in Tahsis, anyone remember "Red"? Critter didn't have any, one at Gold River Fish Camp, the owner... and lodge and guide at Friendly Cove. None of the rest of you existed!" Is that better! :D

As far as the other dates, you are referring, I meant those as my dates! I didn't mean them to be dates when the things were developed or invented, but since you brought that up.

Starting with Nootka, if you want the first fishing date in Nootka you need to go back a little farther. March 1778, Captain Cook anchored in Resolution Cove on Bligh Island, across from Friendly Cove (Yuquot), which was also the birthplace of British Columbia and the site of the first contact between Europeans and First Nations. The first trading post I believe was Spanish, established in 1789. I guess in reality you would have to say TFN can claim to be first to fish Nootka Sound and that was over 4000 years ago. I would love you to tell me the date "they", caught their first salmon? I was referring to the current fishery, not the past, and again Nootka has always had a fishery. The Conuma Enhancement Facility was built in 1978. It had limited impact until 1987, when "seapen rearing" started with Chinook and Chum. After that Chinook survivals quadrupled with strong returns in 1993, 94 and 95, which IS what made it the fishery, it now is. BTW enjoy it, as it appears Conuma is reducing its production?

I have fished offshore since 1991, along with a few others. No one else was out there, actually kind of lonely at times. Bajo, really din't get fished much until the 77cm rule. Pin was always popular. Ferrer wasn't well known until 97, until then I was there several times by myself.

Now this one might surprise you! Downriggers have been in use since the early 1900's. But not very well, should we say refined. You had to pull the weight, with fish, and gear all up together - no release clips. Blayney Scott started "Scotty" in 1952. He and Charlie White (who btw was born in Pittsburgh, PA - Yep, a Yank :)) developed the Scotty downrigger in 1973. Bill Walker developed the Walker downrigger in 1969. Notice I used the term "developed", they didn't invent. I don't think Charlie really invented the downrigger as everyone seems to think, but rather helped design a "release clip", to be used on a downrigger he helped to re-design?

Rhys Davis is owned by Tom Davis. They have been manufacturing teaser heads for over 40 years. You would have to contact him to find out when they started producing the anchovy special. The company is in Victoria, but I believe he lives in Sidney. I have his email if you would like it? No, I don't know him!

Hot Spot was founded by Jack Gaunt in 1972 with the invention of the Hot Spot Flasher, which he does have both a U.S. and Canadian patent on it, so I don't know what the difference between Hot Spot and the others are and I have never really researched it, but has to be a difference or under a license agreement!

Since, we are done with our history lessons, you don't need any lat/lon for any good fishing spots, do you? I have lat/lon from Buoy 10, on the Columbia all the way up to Langara, QCI... both inside and out! I will be glad to share and post them ALL, if you need any! :D:D

Charlie, please stop verbally threatening.
No offense but it's unbecoming to you.

BTW, Gaunts patent on the flasher was issued in 1978, so has expired now.

He did on several other threads highlights.

And its more about there being 50 boats so you can only go through the honey hole once every hour instead of a lot more...reducing the catch for your guests. Remember a lot of guides depend on the business for their livelihoods, their child's livelihoods and their families. They get less repeats due to this sort of thing then they have to put more money into attracting new customers or they have less customers in general. Either way it isn't good.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

*NEW VIDEO*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEzuNC59ck

He did on several other threads highlights.

And its more about there being 50 boats so you can only go through the honey hole once every hour instead of a lot more...reducing the catch for your guests. Remember a lot of guides depend on the business for their livelihoods, their child's livelihoods and their families. They get less repeats due to this sort of thing then they have to put more money into attracting new customers or they have less customers in general. Either way it isn't good.
Sorry, no threats meant! Like I stated earlier… Don’t mean to throw “Daggers”, but I also don’t like “Daggers” thrown at me!

David, do you really think all 3000 members of this site are going to jump in their rigs and run to Port Hardy and fish your "honey holes"? I don't think so! Do you really think the average "newb" as you call them are going to run 30 miles offshore? I don't think so! If you only have 50 boats, you are doing good! Last time I fished Ferrer, I had over 100. Give me a break!

It just doesn’t make since how someone can lay claim and is bothered by me posting coordinates to fishing spots, which are mostly offshore. The “beginning” angler will probably never go to, or have an business running that far offshore and if they do, probably won't do very well anyway! And, when the claim is “their spots”? Those spots are far from new or undiscovered and they haven’t changed since the last ice age. Anyone that knows anything about salmon can look at a chart and see those spots and they have been fished, long before any of us were born. “Their” fish, sorry I disagree. While there are some wild Canadian runs, those fish are mostly coming out of hatcheries from the south, both U.S. and Canada! Depending on just where the spot is, they will migrate on either side of the Island. And again, approximately 75 percent on the outside are known to be U.S. bound. Sorry, but I think those are probably more mine, than theirs! I personally chose NOT to fish that area, as the really sad part, is most of the U.S. Chinook on the north of Vancouver Island up to SEAK are the upper Columbia River, which are on the Endangered Species List! If anyone should be complaining about fishing salmon in that area… It should probably be more me than them!

When asked for information concerning "fishing spots", I will continue to share the information! Also, if they are beginners, they probably won't catch enough fish to make an impact on your business, anyway!

Good catch, on Gaunts patent expiring, I never thought about that!

Back