Fishing & the internet

Silly to say because you chose to make a living off fishing you have extra rights or titles to fish or hot spots [xx(] If it's too much pressure then go and get another job and let other Canadians enjoy their country and their resources! Charlie, please keep the cordinates comes if asked for them. Much appreciates!

Charlie, I know Tom Davis well, I've had my forearm shaved by Rhys and his strip carving knives, also know Jack Gaunt..my brother went thru school with his son, have fished with Charlie White and appeared on his show..he invented/developed the original manual Scotty rigger, also been on Gary Cooper's show. My first trip to Nootka 1992, Knight Inlet 1992, Barkley 1989, had a boat fishing Swiftsure 1991, first Sooke outing 1966. Fished alone in my first power boat in 1972, 13 years old...from Gordon's Beach near Otter Point in Sooke. Will be hard pressed to ever get to Langara, Rivers, Hakai or Rupert areas as I don't have the time to get that far away from home in the summer. Nootka will have to continue to be my Langara, not a bad substitute!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Charlie, I know Tom Davis well, I've had my forearm shaved by Rhys and his strip carving knives, also know Jack Gaunt..my brother went thru school with his son, have fished with Charlie White and appeared on his show..he invented/developed the original manual Scotty rigger, also been on Gary Cooper's show. My first trip to Nootka 1992, Knight Inlet 1992, Barkley 1989, had a boat fishing Swiftsure 1991, first Sooke outing 1966. Fished alone in my first power boat in 1972, 13 years old...from Gordon's Beach near Otter Point in Sooke. Will be hard pressed to ever get to Langara, Rivers, Hakai or Rupert areas as I don't have the time to get that far away from home in the summer. Nootka will have to continue to be my Langara, not a bad substitute!
I'm impressed... Don't even tell me you fished Ferrer in 92? But, you probably did get to Pin Rocks? :D

No never fished Pin or Ferrier, in fact Ferrier for first time last year. Many of the people I take up there like the calm water on the inside, so Ferrier wasn't an option to them. The first time I fished Ferrier I told my clients that they would have me at my best that day. They asked why? I've never fished here before, all those boats, guides have, I want to come in here first time and kick their asses. lol Well the first tack I stayed out a bit to find where the structure was, learn the tack. All the boats were in tight, 30-40 feet of water. I stayed out in 75-80. Hit a fish in the first 20 minutes, at 35 feet on the rigger...went 35 pounds. Nothing for an hour, still hadn't seen the 45-50 boats along the beach catch even a single fish. I told my clients I'm not going into that mess unless they start hooking up, might as well stay out here and enjoy the room, it will only take 30 seconds to troll into the crowd if a bite comes on. We ended up limiting out quickly once the bite came on, all the boats moved out to join us after the 4th or 5th fish. All at 55ft in 80ft of water. T

Well my friend, you did good! :)
The trick to Ferrer, is 80 feet of water and 32 feet on the rigger! At day break, they might very well be shallower! Bright sunlight a little deeper, but not much! That would be everywhere, except right in the pocket between the point and the rock in the center! There you want to follow the shore as close as you dare next to the rocks, all the way in to the kelp. Turn towards the center rock once abeam the center rock turn back towards the little cove just south of the point! If you don't catch a fish on the second pass reverse your tack as you are probably trolling in the wrong direction! You have to fish that before the 77cm rule takes effect, or you will have to turn back all those lovely Conuma 4/5 year olds that like to hold there! :D:D

It was 2 years ago that I fished Ferrer first time..had to rethink..was the year before the corridor came into effect. Didn't fish there last year and only fished Bajo this year. The dounut at Ferrer is crazy, especially when all 9 guide boats from Fyph's (spelling is wrong) lodge are there....I won't even bother trying to squeeze in there. I don't go up there to par take in combat fishing, customers aren't interested either. I know the guys at Chinootka where I stay will go to Ferrer on Fyphs change over day, knowing they won't be there and they will have more room.

Hey Smiley, that was a good rant! Nobody has exclusive rights to fishing, if you are a guide and are taking customers out you are not special, if you are just fishing for your own fun you are not special, this is supposed to the public for the price of a licence.
While we are busy sniping at each other our amazing government is giving away our groundfish to the commercial group even though the supreme court does not support this. No one is standing against this we are too busy griping at some generous fisherman who they claim is giving away the location of their secret spots??? What the phuk???[?][?][?]

IMG_1445.jpg

I think the internet is a tool like any other tool. You could give someone all kinds of fancy carpentry tools and tell them how to go about building things with them. Yet, the average guy is never going to master building anything more complex than an unassembled prefabricated table from Ikea. That is where the skill factor enters into being a good fisherman, just like any other skilled craftsman. Sharing the knowledge with fellow sport fishers isn't going to ruin the fishing. The average newb will take years to ever become successful on a regular basis. You better hope the newbs still want to go fishing, because when they don't you can bet there won't be much left to fish for. Who do you think pressures the politicians to rehabilitate and restore good fishing. If the next generation doesn't take up outdoor activities like fishing and hunting do you think the stocks will explode with over population. Quite to the contrary, without those sportsmen there to pressure the politicians it would be a free for all on all the resources. They'd be selling off everything to big bussiness so fast. Dam those rivers, turn those lakes into tailing ponds, seine out those last pesky remnant runs, so we can justify more fish farms.

Sharing knowledge with newbs isn't going to destroy our fishing, it actually helps to preserve it. How much influence would the sport fishing sector have if we were only 10% of what is here today. I applaud guys like Charlie, and the pros out there who share info willingly. We need more guys like them.

I don't really think I like the other alternative. I guess we could all follow in the steps of the Hardy guides and learn sign language. That way nobody can possibly over hear any exchange of fishing information on the water when out of cell range. No doubt,restricting all exchange of information will preserve our "fantastic" fishing for years to come. Seems a lot more motivated by self interest than a legitimate concern for not putting extra pressure on stocks.

The internet is the greatest information sharing tool ever invented. Be thankful you don't live in China, where the govt decides what information can be shared.

I

Nobody can tell me (well they can but I will not agree) that the fishery we had in Nanaimo this spring would not have been so heavily subscribed had the internet not been here. Sure, more boats would have been here from simply workd of mouth, but an explosion of 75+ boats in an area that normally seens 10-15 boats on a decent weekend morning!? I fish the area 12 months of the year and you NEVER see effort like that. It was like the first day of sockeye fishing in the Canal, everyone with a boat was out there. As soon as the posts stopped, so did the people (but the fish didn't ;) )

Whether people catch fish or not, if you post a GPS coordinate I can guarantee that people will go there. Your call to do it or not, I'll pass on to guys that I talk to and know but you will never see me post one on a open forum.

rbf, yup that may be a result of faster communication technology but there is nothing wrong with people enjoying the beauty and bounty of our province. Yeah, if you hate seeing other people fish then you may want to keep your "secrets". But don't expect that to make any difference except for getting pi$$ed off all the time and ruining your own enjoyment and finally turning into a grumpy old fart. Face the reality, show a positive attitude and enjoy fishing - and life can be good.

Re: some earlier talk about GPS way points for fishing... Couldn't help but smile a couple of years back when a BC SFAB colleague showed me a chart like map of Swiftsure he had picked up in Neah Bay that showed all the GPS fishing way points for halis and salmon on the bank in Canadian waters. It was supposed to help the sports fishing boaters from the US when making the trip over here to fish.

Why I smiled was about five way points were in the closed area.:(

DFO Conservation and Protection staff at that meeting were very interested.[^]

The internet really helps educate preople and this forum is generally a great model for educating new comers. IMO that is a good thing. I am happy to advise people how to improve their fishing skills but my personal choice is not to share the exact location of the honey holes; general areas no problem.

It is a personal choice and to each his own.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

Whether people catch fish or not, if you post a GPS coordinate I can guarantee that people will go there. Your call to do it or not, I'll pass on to guys that I talk to and know but you will never see me post one on a open forum.
Yea right, you need to wake up and smell the roses! It is a personal preferance! You chose not... I chose too!

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Exactly rbf.
Yea, right, again... Does "Chad" own you? He seems to be the "one" that doesn't want to share? All of you in Hardy, seem to follow "his" lead? Me... I don't have to!

quote:Originally posted by chris73

rbf, yup that may be a result of faster communication technology but there is nothing wrong with people enjoying the beauty and bounty of our province. Yeah, if you hate seeing other people fish then you may want to keep your "secrets". But don't expect that to make any difference except for getting pi$$ed off all the time and ruining your own enjoyment and finally turning into a grumpy old fart. Face the reality, show a positive attitude and enjoy fishing - and life can be good.
X2

quote:Originally posted by Governor

Re: some earlier talk about GPS way points for fishing... Couldn't help but smile a couple of years back when a BC SFAB colleague showed me a chart like map of Swiftsure he had picked up in Neah Bay that showed all the GPS fishing way points for halis and salmon on the bank in Canadian waters. It was supposed to help the sports fishing boaters from the US when making the trip over here to fish.

Why I smiled was about five way points were in the closed area.:(

DFO Conservation and Protection staff at that meeting were very interested.[^]

The internet really helps educate preople and this forum is generally a great model for educating new comers. IMO that is a good thing. I am happy to advise people how to improve their fishing skills but my personal choice is not to share the exact location of the honey holes; general areas no problem.

It is a personal choice and to each his own.
God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton
X3
I chose to share... I do not apologize for anything! Like I stated before, most of the fish on the outside are U.S. bound anyway, so they don' "belong" to anyone in Port Hardy, if anything they should quite catching "our" endangered species! I should be the one complaining? Not them!

I guess it all comes down to, if "you" don't want to help others...WHY ARE "YOU" EVEN ON THIS FORUM?

Chris73, I already am a grumpy fart which is why you never see me post fishing locations on this or any other website.

Charlie - I will go off and smell the roses...but I won't tell anyone where as someone will go and pick them before I get there.

RBF the fact was it was also all over on TV news so everyone saw it so you cant blame the intermet on that one it was on the TV on almost every channel from the 5pm news to 6 pm and the 11 pm news not just on that day but days following and a week later as well!!!!!!! Not just fisherman on the web this is and will still be a main supply for some info. When there wasnt all this web stuff all you had to do was be out there or phone a buddy that was. Same source different info highway. prime example is any derby any fish caught is either told over vhf or via a cel phone. then back at the derby headquarters anyone who says "trap shack" you know there will be more boats there the next day. dont you agree LOL LOL

P.S. ill never say a gps spot as for salmon its not a big secret in sooke there are only a few spots here church,beachy,trap sec. possesion, otter and muir and sheringham and anybody that has any sense will look around to where the locals and the guides are as we are the ones fishing everyday.

Wolf

You are quite correct, it was on the news but if you think that it wasn't talked about on forums for at least a week before then you are mistaken - and I live here so I am pretty sure that is they way it played out. There were at least 50 boats fishing before it made the news. After the news, well it was a circus. Was it good for the local economy, no doubt...CT certainly sold out of every lure that was talked about on the, then local forum. Coincidence?

Guess my opinion is different from the majority and if that is the case then that is the way it is. I won't post GPS coordinates, especially for bottom fish locales that I worked hard to find (whether they were fished before or not).

For those that feel there will be no change, please post all of your halibut spots on this forum and let me know how that works out for you.

It still comes back to a simple question...forget the internet and sharing info...its is too late to worry about that, the percentage of good fishers on the water is higher than in the past...how many "new" good fishermen can a specific terminal fishery handle? Think back to Bamfield in the mid-nineties when Whittlestone and I think it was Robbers Pass were total nightmares. I have a picture taken at that pass and when I show customers they can't believe the boats. Give all those guys better skills and then multiply the boats by 4 or 5...in other words look into a future without any forethought into growth. Will those runs sustain it? Will limits have to go down to accommodate the added pressure? Will there be short closures to reduce the take? I know it. The trend has been going in that direction for sometime now and it will continue!

Back