Fishing rod is stuck

GLG

Anyone have an idea how to separate my fishing rod? Came off the water yesterday and I could not break it down. It’s a two-piece trolling rod used only on the salt.

Thanks
GLG

Cut a Vee about 2" deep in a piece of 1/2" or better yet 3/4" plywood.

Wrap a collar of paper tape about 1" thick around one end of the rod right by the ferrule and place firmly</u> against the wood-better to have two guys doing this.

Now smack the wood hard with a mallet or hammer or axe head, the shock will be transferred to the joint which is under pressure but not so as to break the rod.

This is an old rod makers trick shown to me by Dave @ Highwater Tackle in North Van works every time but is a bit of a PITA.

Or of you're lazy just have two strong handed men cross hands-one hand each on each section of the rod-and pull.

Cut a Vee about 2" deep in a piece of 1/2" or better yet 3/4" plywood.

Wrap a collar of paper tape about 1" thick around one end of the rod right by the ferrule and place firmly</u> against the wood-better to have two guys doing this.

Now smack the wood hard with a mallet or hammer or axe head, the shock will be transferred to the joint which is under pressure but not so as to break the rod.

This is an old rod makers trick shown to me by Dave @ Highwater Tackle in North Van works every time but is a bit of a PITA.

Or of you're lazy just have two strong handed men cross hands-one hand each on each section of the rod-and pull.

I have basically done the same thing 'dogbreath' suggested using two 'vice-grips'! Never thought about putting it in a "V". :)

Just wrap both sections with tape to protect the finish, then attach the vice-grips and give it a twist in opposite directions. Don’t put the vice-grips on an eyelet, as I have bent (broken) one doing that.

I have basically done the same thing 'dogbreath' suggested using two 'vice-grips'! Never thought about putting it in a "V". :)

Just wrap both sections with tape to protect the finish, then attach the vice-grips and give it a twist in opposite directions. Don’t put the vice-grips on an eyelet, as I have bent (broken) one doing that.

Ive also used a blow dryer and heated up very quickly as it expanded the outside but not the inside also use that non skid material you use to put on shleves boat dashes etc stuff grips really,but dont heat up to much as it can damge it I never had a problem came apart very easily.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Last one of mine that did that I took to River Sportsman. Problem sloved for a few bucks

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

Damn I just had this problem last week with one of my 10-6 rods. Mine was completely xxxxed!!! Didn't try the hot/cold thing yet but I don't think it is coming apart anytime soon. Now I just call it my custom one piece rod.
Tried everything else. Vice grip try that one at your own risk!!!
Smiley66

I had one rod that wouldn't come apart. I probably had the rod for 20 years, and it was probably stuck together for about the last 10. Caught a lot of fish with that rod.
Invited a farmer friend out fishing, and as we're packing up at the end of the day he asks about that rod. I say, "Oh it doesn't come apart, been that way for years" and leave it at that. My strong-handed farmer friend I guess took it as a challenge, and separated it.
Next day, we're out again, and the first fish hits that rod. Crack, breaks in half![xx(]

We lost the fish, and got skunked for the rest of that day.

Some things are meant to be...

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

An old trick for that NOT to happen......

Before you put your rod together (when on the boat, edge of the river etc.), rub your finger over your nose (most people have oily noses!), yes, the OUTSIDE of your nose....:D.... then transfer the oil to your top half of the rod base.... works wonders and never have the problem of the two parts sticking!!

Sounds funny, learned it from an 80+ year old fisherman many years ago and I haven't had a rod stick since (as long as I remember to do it...[:I])

Mike

A little boat wax with PTFE(teflon) on the end also works very well.
2 times a season is enough

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Put it behind your back grab both sides and pull. If that does not work, take it to Bill at Island Outfitters in Victoria, they use a penetrating lubricant designed for firearms (I don’t recall the name) and after letting it sit for a while, two or three of the guys pull it apart. Just had this done for a G Loomis rod that I was afraid I would break if I did it. They got it apart and charged me almost nothing. I was also told that G-Loomis Rods are notorious for getting stuck. From now on I am going to put some wax on them periodically.

Thanks guys for all your ideas. I got it apart today with a combination of techniques.
I tried heating the join with hot water and was not successful. I then tried clamping rubber and visegrips to the rod and slowly turning it to loosen it. It was solid and no amount of pressure was going to move it. I then cut a 2x4 with a vnotch, tapped the rod to receive it and smacked it good with a hammer while my vise held the grip. It did not budge. I then stood the rod up upside down and sprayed wd40 and let it sit for a day. I then put the rod handle grip in my vise and smacked the 2x4 on the tape that was rapped around the rod. That did nothing to pull apart. Since I don’t have a walk in freezer I came up with a work around and opened my chest freezer and laid the rod on top. I closed the lid and laid sleeping bags over it. My wife questioned my wisdom as she spotted her freezer with the rod and sleeping bags covering it. I let it cool for about 30 minutes. I pulled it from the cold and gave it a tug and nothing. I then set it into the vise and smacked the 2x4 and it popped out easy. I will lube it up so I don’t have to go through this again.

Once again thanks for all your ideas, as I would not have been able to get that thing apart without them.

GLG

quote:Originally posted by leaseman

An old trick for that NOT to happen......

Before you put your rod together (when on the boat, edge of the river etc.), rub your finger over your nose (most people have oily noses!), yes, the OUTSIDE of your nose....:D.... then transfer the oil to your top half of the rod base.... works wonders and never have the problem of the two parts sticking!!

Sounds funny, learned it from an 80+ year old fisherman many years ago and I haven't had a rod stick since (as long as I remember to do it...[:I])

Mike
My Grandfather told me to rub behind my ear for that same oil - works great!! :D

Back