Fishin the plugs

This year in ucluelet i had the most sucess with big 7" matrix spoons, and 6" tomic 'mike' spoons. It was funny this year, because we didnt get any hits on doctored up pilchard plugs. The blue/black/white matrix spoon caught our two biggest fish of the trip ( 30 and 22), and ended up in the jaws of a 25+ spring. As for rigging spoons dont try and cut corners by rigging it up to a leader to save time, as this was our mistake. All you need is a coastlock snap and your good to go!

Highliner:- tying direct to the nose pin gives you less action than if you pull the pin and thread through.

The nose pin is "fixed in position"........therefore the plug will be fighting the fixed line to a little extent.

If you thread right through the plug with pin pulled and run a small bead at the end of the line ahead of the hook/swivel, the plug is more free to pivot and dart and wiggle etc.etc with nothing restricting it.

Tying right to the welded ring will give you action......but you'll have to go faster.....and....there will not be as much "face" presented" because the welded ring will pull the plug in the path of least resistance.

However...what works works......so whatever method produces best then use the plug tied in that way.

Holmes.....have you ever caught anything on that plug is on the left of picture, first plug from top?
That's got to be a custom color, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried fishing Tomic Plugs for the first time on a recent trip to Esperenza. We tied high to the tow bar and trolled around 3 MPH. We had been trolling hoochies, spoons and bait. Things had slowed down, do decided to put the plugs down. Within 5 minutes of getting them down had a 23 pound Spring followed closely by 20. Called friends on radio to tell them to switch and right away they had 20 plus pound Spring. Definitely a plug convert now!

I dont know if anyone remembers the mini plugs that you stack up above the plug with your hook it kind of looked like a family swimming along worked awesome there is some video of the set up,looked around but find it anyways it is some work to hook up but was very productive until my bud snapped them off just me two cents also like to fish pulled pins...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Back