LAPEROUSE PART VI. Estevan Group

Sharphooks

After heading south from Nepean Rock I finally made a nav decision I’ve wanted to make for years. The weather was clear, the water was flat, and I had a full tank of gas so I motored from the Nepean to the Estevan Group.

Here was a nice peaceful bay where I rowed to shore and let the dog do her business. It was notable because just around the corner from where I’d anchored there was a narrow channel that if I’d had a kayak or a bigger tide, I could have gotten all the way through that channel to Hecate Strait. I would have loved to have made a move like that but in the back of one’s mind you have to ask yourself just how much exposure you’re going to sign up for when you absolutely can be confident that there was and would be nobody to bail you out if you ran into problems.

That is the flip side of righteous solitude that reminds me why not everyone signs up for this type of behavior

1691530241014.png

1691530241136.png

With the gift of a boomer high tide, I was able to row my inflatable raft way back into the lagoon with the puppy

It was one of the high points of the trip!

1691530241380.png

1691530241516.png

For the last decade I’ve stared at the Jacinto Islands on my charts and always thought how supremely cool it would be to fish them—-basically the northern mouth of Camaano Sound where it rubs shoulders with Hecate Strait. Unfortunately, the tides were all wrong by the time I got there and the fog was still scary thick so I was having trouble relaxing. There were thick kelp beds everywhere with lots of free-floating kelp in the water which made it tough going but I got tingles in me spine just having the opportunity to rub up against the Jacintos, even in their fog shroud.

The fog briefly thinned out to let me get a picture, then floosh, it slid back and shut again like a sliding door in a tatami room. I knew it was time to get out of there.

1691530241598.png

Last edited:
Back