Six Days In The Promised Land—-Steelhead!

Sharphooks

I just got back to the home front after a six day rafting trip up in Alaska doing my annual steelhead expedition

My marching orders to myself this year:

1)) don't break any fishing rods.
2)) Don't get sucked into a log jam.

If I got a few fish, that would be a bonus.

That sounds like a goofy conversation to have with oneself prior to taking a trip like this but two years ago, on the same river in the same inflatable raft, I came really close to having a traumatic experience with a log jam during a huge high water. I've fallen between ships on the Bering Sea in February during a blizzard, slid down the face of a mountain in Sitka and tore off my thumb, and got caught in some really sporty weather in Milbanke Sound in a 22 foot boat where I thought it was pretty much over, but almost getting sucked into a log jam was definitely the closest I've come to cashing in the chips. The same year I had my log jam experience on this river, three guys in an aluminum drift boat hit the same log jam and two of them drowned so I felt like I'd been duly warned

But all that tossing and turning in bed worrying about high water events prior to leaving for ALaska was put into proper perspective once I saw the river----low enough to run through a garden hose. No rain for 6 straight days, water at historical low levels for this time of the year. All the fishermen complaining about no rain.

First time in 39 years going to this river where I didn't see snow. Not even a patch of it in the deepest part of the rain forest. Crazy. No place to keep my fresh veggies and smoked fish cool and out of the sun!

The fishing:

In past years, with "normal" water levels, it was not uncommon for me to have double-digit steelhead days. Not this year. With a pair of Polaroids you could literally see every rock and branch in the run which meant the steelhead in return could count your nose hairs.

Although I did have a morning in which I hooked four fish in four casts (on a bead I'd found in the gravel) for the most part it was maybe a few fish per day. These days, fishing is all about managing expectations. AS soon as I saw the weather pattern and the river height, it was time to manage those expectations

However, the upside of sunny weather? Fantastic camping!

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

Meanwhile, the log jams that were on my radar the entire trip: Try and imagine these with another foot or two of water in an inflatable that size with that amount of weight on the bow

IMG_2085.jpeg

And my particular favorite:

IMG_2111.jpeg

That’s my campsite off in the distance. It was an evening’s diversion to sit and have a few drinks and watch the lodge boats bounce off those logs trying to get through. It was crystal clear that at any kind of increased CFS, somebody was going to get flipped going through there

Here are the fish. They are classic spring fish, coming into the river in March and April, then spawning in May. They are gorgeous specimens and fight like very few fish I’ve ever seen. Not uncommon to get 8 or 9 jumps out of them

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_2081.jpeg

So, no snow and straight sun for a solid week. First time I’ve seen that in almost 40 years. Climate change or just strange weather patterns? The reasons are besides the point. But the bears know it’s time to come out of hibernation earlier. First time I’ve seen so much brown bear sign on this river in April.

That print was oozing water when I first saw it so he’d just passed by. Would have loved to have seen him (from a distance)

IMG_2104.jpeg

So, another year. Great memories Nice to get away from the computer screen. Gorgeous part of the world!

IMG_2122.jpeg

Last edited:
Spring run Steelhead are so unique. I had the pleasure of meeting a few in remote west coast watersheds

Great write up!

The day I left the rains came. Big rains. No doubt the fishing got absolutely nuts but I am so glad I missed that spike in CFS with the log jams I saw.

It truly would have been a death-defying experience in an 8 foot inflatable without a rowing frame and 200 pounds of gear on the bow.

The older I get the more risk-averse I become….I want a long boring series of events at this stage of my life.

IMG_5864.png

Thanks for the comments, Guys—-much appreciated

Meanwhile, here’s an anecdote I left out of the write up that maybe you’ll find a bit amusing.

On my last night on the river, I was cooking dinner a bit early, getting ready for the evening bite. While I was cooking, some guy came stumbling across the river from a campsite up around the bend. From the way he was walking, it was clear he’d started the evening libations a bit early. In fact, he was what you’d call stumbling drunk. I could see three cans of beer he’d stuffed into his waders so he could turn his fishing trip into a multi-media experience…it was 3:30 PM and he’d only just started warming up

I remember thinking….this should be interesting….the water is low and gin clear…..the sun is still out….the fish are hiding under the willows …. it takes absolute precision casting to get your gear in-between two bushes on the opposite shore to get into a fish’s face—-these spring fish don’t chase…they have to be spoon-fed, and to be on your lips like this guy…absolutely he’s going to put his gear into the trees.

So he stumbles into the run, winds up for the world record cast which you’d expect from someone in his inebriated state and what happens? His cast falls way short of the trees but a second later he’s whooping and hollering ….fish on!

Are you kidding me??? This made me a bit jealous to see…I’d had a slow day and here this totally lubricated guy stumbles into the river and gets a chromer on a fly right away like that.

But part of me looked at this whacky display as a gift of intel…someone was giving me a tip on what I maybe should start doing to improve the score card

So after he left, I got out a thermos of really good wine I’d been saving, stuffed it in my wader top and made my way to the river. After 3 or 4 glasses (or maybe it was 5?) I hooked the best fish of the trip. It was chrome bright, a fish in the upper-teens which I hadn’t had yet for the trip, and I fought it for maybe 20 minutes until the hook finally pulled. Yahooo!

So that’s the secret weapon going forward when fishing gets slow….lots of drinks then start flailing away…sooner or later it’s gotta happen!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, Guys—-much appreciated

Meanwhile, here’s an anecdote I left out of the write up that maybe you’ll find a bit amusing.

On my last night on the river, I was cooking dinner a bit early, getting ready for the evening bite. While I was cooking, some guy came stumbling across the river from a campsite up around the bend. From the way he was walking, it was clear he’d started the evening libations a bit early. In fact, he was what you’d call stumbling drunk. I could see three cans of beer he’d stuffed into his waders so he could turn his fishing trip into a multi-media experience…it was 3:30 PM and he’d only just started warming up

I remember thinking….this should be interesting….the water is low and gin clear…..the sun is still out….the fish are hiding under the willows …. it takes absolute precision casting to get your gear in-between two bushes on the opposite shore to get into a fish’s face—-these spring fish don’t chase…they have to be spoon-fed, and to be on your lips like this guy…absolutely he’s going to put his gear into the trees.

So he stumbles into the run, winds up for the world record cast which you’d expect from someone in his inebriated state and what happens? His cast falls way short of the trees but a second later he’s whooping and hollering ….fish on!

Are you kidding me??? This made me a bit jealous to see…I’d had a slow day and here this totally lubricated guy stumbles into the river and gets a chromer on a fly right away like that.

But part of me looked at this whacky display as a gift of intel…someone was giving me a tip on what I maybe should start doing to improve the score card

So after he left, I got out a thermos of really good wine I’d been saving, stuffed it in my wader top and made my way to the river. After 3 or 4 glasses (or maybe it was 5?) I hooked the best fish of the trip. It was chrome bright, a fish in the upper-teens which I hadn’t had yet for the trip, and I fought it for maybe 20 minutes until the hook finally pulled. Yahooo!

So that’s the secret weapon going forward when fishing gets slow….lots of drinks then start flailing away…sooner or later it’s gotta happen!
Helps with relaxing lol

Back