Favourite spoons for springs?

R

RobTufnail

hey guys i was just wondering what your favouite spoons are, i prefer using the coyotes, mostly in black and white or some variation of green, but would love to hear what you guys like to use.

-robtufnail

5 inch coyote cop car and wonderbreads are my two year round staple spoons. Tend to run more tiger prawn hootchies in the summer than spoons.

I never would have tried the wonderbread for springs, always looked more like coho gear to me.

but i am interested in trying them out;)

Stewart 5 1/2 inch half and half and a few of the chrome ones and the old coyote cop car or the mongoose have had some good days with them as well.

Wolf

For springs, on darker overcast days I like glo army truck spoons. Gypsy or Coyote.

For bright sunny days I like the yellow tail silver back Coyote. Always with stick on eyes added. Yellow tail has a big black dot for an eye on one side, so I only sticker the back of that.

Got a spring on a dark rubber anchovie behind a hot spot Friday. Am starting to think the dark on dark days is a good idea. Also keep thinking about that post recently about black flashers. Maybe that would be good on a dark day too.

For big springs I still love the Les Davis Canadian Wonder 7. I prefer them in chrome. It's almost as big as a dodger, but thats why it gets the big ones. Sometimes nothing beats old school.

TheBigGuy

The stick on eyes is interesting.... anyone else using them???

I've used the stick on doll eyes for a couple of years now on some of my favorite spoons. Impossible to determine whether it makes a difference or not by always impresses your fishing partners!

As for favorites, cop car, green nickle, and green glow.
Oh, and 'nasty boy' for the winter springs

drhook or others, what eyes work best: the bloodshot eyes or regular? DAJ

Seriously, I wanted to purchase some eyes for my anchovie helmets so I went to the Silver Horde outfit in Lynnwood, WA and spoke with the main guy when I came to the counter and he suggested I reconsider the regular eyes and instead select the bloodshot ones, which look like the bait got injured. He proceeded to pointed out good selling hoochies that have bloodshot eyes, so...., I'm really not making this up, and ask the question if anyone has a perspective on such.

DAJ

just get some red nail polish and put a red slash on the teaser head, those stick on eyes aren't going to stay put on the head very long.

Another trick is to cut the gill plates off your anchovy before rigging them up.

Excellent ideas 'poppa swiss'.
I find the stick on doll eyes stay on the spoons very well when you super glue them on. Otherwise, your right, they don't stay on at all.

What about the old "Tom Mack"..... I haven't wet one of those in years, but that used to the the old standby.

Still have 3 Tom Mack spoons and am embarrassed to say but forgot I had them until I read the entry , ran out to the shop and started rummaging around , and yup there they were packed in a box with 3 in 1 oil which is the way my Dad taught me to store them .
Will give them a work out this early summer as that was when they produced the best..............don't know why but my memory is still good and thats when we fished them.

Cheers

AL

D.A.G., I like the flat eye stickers about three sixteenths or quarter inch diameter, glo in the dark white with black dot in the center. They stick to spoons perfectly. Not very good on hootchies. I think they look most like an eye at a glance down der in da dark. I put them on all my spoons dodgers and flashers for good luck.

Yeah I hear yah there dog. I believe there called Luhreyes or something like that. I've used the glo ones you mentioned on my plugs since they first came out. Put the old maglite to them when it's dark out first thing. I also use contact cement. That really holds them well on spoons as well. A little dab will do yah. eman

Fly tying cement works to cover eyes on spoons, you can also use nail polish, i.e. "Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails" - won't discolour and quick and easy.

Back