Favorite fish recipes?

H

hstat

I am always looking for great new fish recipes. Please post some so I try new ones.

Wolf, please clarify your poaching salmon. Poach in white wine & garlic? Then add what herbs? Sounds great, infact I am going to try it on steelhead tomorrow. In fact I will start a favorite recipe thread.

Ok here ya go::::

1 Get heavy duty alum foil lay on cookie sheet make it big enough to completly cover the top and bottom of the fish a 8 inch chunk make the foil 20 ichs min.

2 lay the filet,steak on it right in the middle and turn up the edges a bit

3 put about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of your favorite white wine over it (pour one for yourself too)

4 melt about 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and about 2 cloves of minced garlic in it spoon onto the fish.

5 season with Salt and pepper now this is where you can experiment You can put whatever you want on it for herbs
Fresh dill,rosemary,cilantro,thyme,basil,ginger if you dont have fresh dry will work just as well you can even use italion seasoning or montreal steak spice just sprinkle it on and adjust to your liking dont put alot on first adjust to your liking the next time as some herbs are stronger than others.

6 cover with thin sliced lemons

7 wrap it all up making a nice tight seal

8 cook it in the bbq on med high or the oven at 350

9 times will vary but rule is usually about 12 mins per inch of fish.

The butter and wine will make it very moist and tasty try to not overcook it I use this all the time at home and every year when I go back to sask this past trip I did a half filet from a 30 lber and 9 people ate the whole thing
Vary the spices and herbs to your personal liking and enjoy

Good luck and seasons greeting to all Wolf

Any one try the cedar plank for BBQ? Heard its good, any confirmation for that and or tips.

For the culinarly challanged around here (I am the king of this!), simply de-bone the fillets, put 'em skin-down on your cookie sheet, and put a couple of cans of Campbell's mushroom soup on them (The soup base, not the ready to go stuff). Bake to taste (I bake slowly untill the fillets JUST come apart, I'd rather too raw then too cold). Tastes good, and it's simple. You are better to de-bone the fillets first in my opinion, but, it's too simple. You probably want to hit 'em hard with the Lawry's to taste, but straight soup works for me.

We use this recipe with strped bass but it is also great with halibut.

A couple of weeks ago we had some cold, snowy days and Anne put together the most awsome striper chowder as follows:

Saute in 3-4 tablespoons butter:
1/2 cup diced onion
3 celery stalks (diced)

Add:
4 cups chicken stock
One bay leaf
Three large potatoes (diced)
Boil 10 minutes (until potatatoes are done but still firm)

Add spices to taste:
Garlic salt
Bay seasoning
Black pepper
Thyme

Add:
One cup of corn
One cup white wine
One pound of striper fillets (cut in chunks)
Cook five minutes or until the fish is done

Add
One cup milk
One pint cream
Heat again until near boil (but not quite)

Refrigerate until ready to reheat & serve.

Smoking recipes would be great!
One recipe that I like is to use one or two cans of smoked clams juisce and all, mixed with a little worchester and soy sauce, and minced garlic. You can add a a little liquid smoke if you wuld like. It is even better the next day when it takes on more of the smoked flavor. I wrap in foil and use BBQ.
Wolf, the poached salmon method worked, I will experiment with different herbs.

The chowder doesn't have to be refrigerated prior to serving (You can eat it right away) but like all chowders & stews, it improves with time. If not all consumed at first sitting it (of course) needs to be refrigerated.

This recipe is KICK-butt and VERY easy.

Halibut fillets
salt and pepper
butter or margarine
1/2-3/4 cup mayonaise
1 cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese

Place halibut on oiled broiler pan or casserole dish.Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter.Broil or bake untill almost done.
Combine mayo and cheese in small bowl mix well.Cover halibut with mixture and return to oven until bubbly and slightly browned.

Back