fish cakes

Claymaker

Looking for some good fish cake recipes , wanting to clean up the freezer a bit and make some cakes to have frozen.

Do you grind your fish with meat grinder?
Do you cook your fish first if you are going to make them to be frozen after?
Do you use same recipe for crab,trout,salmon,cod?

Try this one! (and they freeze well)

Salmon Cakes (makes 4 servings)

1.5 lbs Salmon meat, diced
80 ml Green onion, chopped
30 ml Dill, chopped
60 ml Mayo
20 ml Dijon mustard
2.5 ml Salt
2.5 ml Pepper
225 ml Panko bread crumbs
100 ml Panko bread crumbs for breading
Oil for shallow frying

Chop the salmon into fine cubes mix in the green onion, dill, mayonnaise, Dijon, 225 ml panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into 3.5 – 4 oz cakes. Lightly sprinkle the cakes with the remaining 100 ml panko breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat to gently fry the cakes. Fry cakes approximately 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown. Serve on a warm serving platter with tartar sauce on the side.

I don't see why you couldn't use a meat grinder. I've always wanted to try this. I would just assume that you would have to treat it the same way as pork etc. Semi frozen chunks into the machine. Probly a course plate like 1/4 I would imagine. Please share what you come up with.

Would be fun to toss one piece of smoked Lox in there for a hint of smoke

Last edited:
I don't see why you couldn't use a meat grinder. I've always wanted to try this. I would just assume that you would have to treat it the same way as pork etc. Semi frozen chunks into the machine. Probly a course going I would imagine. Please share what you come up with.

Would be fun to toss one piece of smoked Lox in there for a hint of smoke
I like the lox idea. But a couple pulses in the food processor is better for fish.

Try this one! (and they freeze well)

Salmon Cakes (makes 4 servings)

1.5 lbs Salmon meat, diced
80 ml Green onion, chopped
30 ml Dill, chopped
60 ml Mayo
20 ml Dijon mustard
2.5 ml Salt
2.5 ml Pepper
225 ml Panko bread crumbs
100 ml Panko bread crumbs for breading
Oil for shallow frying

Chop the salmon into fine cubes mix in the green onion, dill, mayonnaise, Dijon, 225 ml panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into 3.5 – 4 oz cakes. Lightly sprinkle the cakes with the remaining 100 ml panko breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat to gently fry the cakes. Fry cakes approximately 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden brown. Serve on a warm serving platter with tartar sauce on the side.
This looks good, I’ll have to give it a try. And adding some lox sounds like a nice addition.

Thanks for the reply's much appreciated ! Ill give recipe a try.

I have some frozen trout that I was thinking id just grind them frozen skin and all?

I never grind or pulse but I usually make my cakes with left over cooked fish or I cook fish with the intention of making cakes. Just chop it down fine and into the bowl with my other ingredients. Mix it up and let it sit for a while in the fridge for the flavors to do their thing. Then form into cakes and off into the frying pan.

I never grind or pulse but I usually make my cakes with left over cooked fish or I cook fish with the intention of making cakes. Just chop it down fine and into the bowl with my other ingredients. Mix it up and let it sit for a while in the fridge for the flavors to do their thing. Then form into cakes and off into the frying pan.
So you put cooked fish in with all ingredients perfect! I wasnt sure if I should add them raw

we partially cook the fish. just throw the vac bagged fish into boiling water for a few mins. it makes it soft enough to just form by hand, but not over cooked.

U can do with raw very easy with anything you sort of need a binder to "hold" together be it cornstarch or milk powder, instant potato. just a bit you can as much or little as you want secret is to mix very well. can use just about anything crab, salmon, halibut,
I suggest do a batch season lighlty they fry a lil tiny bite size, see how it tastes then add more lemon,dill,salt,pepper etc

And have used the meat grinder make sure all bones are out nothing worse then finding bone ... I used my coarse plate I think its like 3/8

Good luck wolf

Back