Explosion of Aluminum boat builders

GMD is an interesting concept, those Air Rider hulls look deadly
Interesting design but holly crap the chines on that are huge! It's almost a tri-hull. Keeps the boat dry when taking head waves, but I wonder how it would handle waves at 30-45 degrees? Seems that the trade off is dry boat, but those chines could really slam in some scenarios. Judging by the amount air they are getting on what looks to be 2-3' waves, despite the deeper V up front it's still a bit of a sled.

There are two IKEA kit companies have similar designs cncmarine.com.au and marinekits.com that give upfront costs on the cut aluminum. Looks like 20-25 footers are 15-25k shipped. Looks like kit planes but a hell of a lot harder to do it yourself, I'm not sure what the resale market is for used kit planes. I wonder how these designs compare to Stabicrafts, were they at the boat show?

This is a video of the under water flow of an Air Rider. I am not an engineer but have watched enough videos of their boats in rough water conditions to be intrigued by what is happening under the boat. At speed there is a lot of air going under that hull.

Hey Red. I just heard of this guy. Nice looking boats. Google walker custom alinum boats. A FB link comes up. He's in coombs.

I talked to him too at length. I couldn't get a price out of him as he hasn't built one. I wanted a full cabin on a slightly longer and beamier model but he doesn't have access to that plan..... yet. I don't have deep enough pockets to build this boat as a day boat and maybe wait for a larger model but I do think this is a great hull for our coast and I have a sense it might be worth the adventure for someone looking for a day boat of that size. Could be a great guide hull for the west coast. Also he claims he has access to Yanmar diesels and drives at a price much more attractive than the Volvos I have looked at but service for Yanmar's in BC.......maybe a question mark there. I have connected him with a boat builder friend who may take a flyer and build this one as a spec boat.

E&D also have a 27ft under construction and they do good work.

This is a video of the under water flow of an Air Rider. I am not an engineer but have watched enough videos of their boats in rough water conditions to be intrigued by what is happening under the boat. At speed there is a lot of air going under that hull.

Hey Red. I just heard of this guy. Nice looking boats. Google walker custom alinum boats. A FB link comes up. He's in coombs.
hi Terry

I know Trevor Walker's builds. He is currently building Cope designs. He does very nice work but by the time he builds a jig for this and then actually builds out the boat at shop rates....likely very $$$.

I think the explosion of boat builders is cool and should hopefully bring some cool designs.The demand is super high because stock markets are at record highs, housing has absolutely sky rocketed and people are feeling spendy. All of a sudden 150k for a boat doesn't seem all that out of reach for anyone that has had any decent amount of money invested for the last 8 years or so. As soon as the butt falls out of the markets and housing takes a dip you will see it slow down . Maybe I'm just jealous but I honestly think that you have to be out of your mind to pay the prices a lot of these guys are asking.

. Once the butt falls out as you say is the time to buy. Check craigslist Edmonton and Calgary. You'll find some deals if you don't mind traveling.

Last edited:
I expect crevice corrosion to become the new soggy transom. The speed at which aluminum will disappear can be shocking.

This is very true spill a can of coke or even club soda can eat aluminum. I hate corrosion

It does happen, but I wouldn't be overly worried about it. I'd only be really concerned if you keep your aluminum boat moored year round in saltwater in a hot marina. Then you better haul the boat out to scrape or replace your sacrificial anodes regularly to be on the safe side..

Sorry, I wasn't implying that aluminium boats are corroding quickly, just that galvanic corrosion involves electrolysis... which is "shocking".. Maybe should have said "punny 'cause it's true". Groan...:rolleyes:

Ha, people take their boats pretty personal. Kind of like the Ford vs Chev fight.

Found two more interesting Manufactures last night, Aegir, thanks to another post, and Xtaero. Both builders, not designers. Nice to see their smaller 22 foot designs that have a cuddy and fly with pretty minimal power. Anyone have one on the Island who I could convince with a 15 pack of beer to take me out for a spin?

I think you will be shocked to see what that Xtaero is trying to sell those 22'ers for. Don't be fooled with the "base price", I've seen some shocking figures. The marketing claims are pretty ludicrous too, which tends to makes me suspicious of their honesty in other departments.

They are a nice looking boat though.

I'd look at North River 2300 if you're looking for a boat in that size or a Raider if you're more budget conscious.

Ha, people take their boats pretty personal. Kind of like the Ford vs Chev fight.

Found two more interesting Manufactures last night, Aegir, thanks to another post, and Xtaero. Both builders, not designers. Nice to see their smaller 22 foot designs that have a cuddy and fly with pretty minimal power. Anyone have one on the Island who I could convince with a 15 pack of beer to take me out for a spin?
The Xtaeros are designed by Janek Kanos of Conrad Yachts...you could have a hull built a lot cheaper than the equivalent Xtaero. I talked to a fabricator who's done a lot of them; I'm of the opinion that Xtaero charges a lot for finishing their boats.

Anodes only work while the boat is in the water and everything is bonded properly. Crevice corrosion is an acid producing self licking icecream cone needing only humidity and the exclusion of oxygen. I have seen aluminum angle stitch welded to a hull bottom as strakes and to reinforce chines. I am hard pressed to think of a better way to start corrosion.
I am in no way saying that aluminum boats are bad or ticking time bombs, in fact there are a few I wish I had in the drive way. But having worked with aluminum in the marine and aircraft industry I know the devil and longevity are in the details.

Anodes only work while the boat is in the water and everything is bonded properly. Crevice corrosion is an acid producing self licking icecream cone needing only humidity and the exclusion of oxygen. I have seen aluminum angle stitch welded to a hull bottom as strakes and to reinforce chines. I am hard pressed to think of a better way to start corrosion.
I am in no way saying that aluminum boats are bad or ticking time bombs, in fact there are a few I wish I had in the drive way. But having worked with aluminum in the marine and aircraft industry I know the devil and longevity are in the details.
i used to weld for Gene Bellavance, welding aluminium boats and can tell you first had about boats wherethe aluminium is impregnated with black corrosion all the way through and trying to weld it, it is nasty

The Xtaeros are designed by Janek Kanos of Conrad Yachts...you could have a hull built a lot cheaper than the equivalent Xtaero. I talked to a fabricator who's done a lot of them; I'm of the opinion that Xtaero charges a lot for finishing their boats.
A fabricator on the island? Mostly I'm just interested in looking at smaller aluminum cuddy's and figuring out the ideal layout and power. Really interested in lighter motors so I can run with a kicker and have a long range, it would be great to do some northern family fishing in like black jack. Likely end up buying SS or other BC built boat in a few years.

A fabricator on the island? Mostly I'm just interested in looking at smaller aluminum cuddy's and figuring out the ideal layout and power. Really interested in lighter motors so I can run with a kicker and have a long range, it would be great to do some northern family fishing in like black jack. Likely end up buying SS or other BC built boat in a few years.

Fabricator on the island? Silver Streak boats in Sooke! Beautiful boats and amazing people!

Back