so many aluminum boat builders!

Nice boat!, how long was the build? any idea how long the wait list is? When I look up Northwest in Langford I get rental company, is that the correct location? thanks
Here’s their phone number-250 478 0410
email: NWAC@SHAW.CA
Time to build surprised me. It took them only a shade over 2 months to build ours which is a 26 footer ,cuddy cabin,and a bunch of extras.
They don’t mess about and they will constantly send you photos of the build as it progresses.
No complaints.

As a red seal welder, who also lives less than an hour from Kingfisher, who would love to support the local economy, I wouldn’t buy one. I know of a few boats that had to have the cabs replaced as the welds cracked. One boat had to have the transom redone. I’ve personally been on a 2825 and stuck my head in the rear fish box and it looked like a bunch of aluminum grapes just hanging there. When I was ready to buy, I ended up getting a Thunderjet and am super happy with it. Wife wants a bigger boat now so I’d probably look at one of the builders on the island or Sunshine Coast if I was to do it again.

I totally agree and did the same thing! The quality difference between the two is night and day, TJ was by far a better built production boat, and agree the custom built BC boat will be our next.

I like silver streaks because they don’t hide their welds behind bondo and paint. Never been in one though.

Am I right in assuming that the ride quality of the heavier welded aluminum boats approaches that of fibreglass boats? There’s no question that aluminum is far and away the more durable and easier to maintain. But if the sacrifice in ride quality is too great, I’m not sure the price premium would be worth it. I have an 18 foot Hourston hardtop and it has a 23 degree deadrise. Along with its weight, the ride in rough and choppy water never ceases to amaze me.

I have a 24' northwest aluminum craft, made in Victoria. They are definitely by far the best custom aluminum boat builder around. Doug is awesome to deal with. There is a reason most new charters are building northwest aluminum craft boats instead of silverstreak, lifetimer etc. I have nothing but good things to say about my boat. And I spend most weekends on it, offshore fishing, weekend cruising and sleeping on it, as well as tubing on the lake. If funds arent a huge issue and you want a boat for a lifetime, this is it. Doug is 100% worth the wait.
-Picture of my pride and joy. View attachment 68955
Yep, Doug builds a nice machine. There is a significant list. Some builds stay a year out for years.

Attachments

• 20210622_145257.jpg
    20210622_145257.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 103
Am I right in assuming that the ride quality of the heavier welded aluminum boats approaches that of fibreglass boats? There’s no question that aluminum is far and away the more durable and easier to maintain. But if the sacrifice in ride quality is too great, I’m not sure the price premium would be worth it. I have an 18 foot Hourston hardtop and it has a 23 degree deadrise. Along with its weight, the ride in rough and choppy water never ceases to amaze me.

No. Fiberglass will always have an advantage for comfort. I know the guides like them but I also have seen guides that swore aluminum are the best are now driving fiberglass again.

Where aluminum have advantage is durability hitting things etc/beaching boat. Less maintenance in hull. Other cool things are is it easy to add things to them. Just weld in what you want over time...They also have better resale value.

Aluminum will always pound vs any fiberglass, but this can mitigated with suspension seats etc. If I wanted an aluminum and money wasn't object I would buy one from Doug personally.

Back