Emergency situation!

Got one. Lays there looking out the window doing nothing. 14 years old and I still have not figured out what use it is. Hahahaha!

Is there any other kind of cat ??

Use a game camera to see where it (they ) is/are holed up. Put out several traps with bacon fat on the bait station, but not set, do this for a couple of days, so they are used to the presence of the traps, then set them with the same bait but loaded. When you catch one, wash the trap in soap and water before resetting.
I would do it this way too. Rats are creatures of habit and hate anything new. I use the un baited trap method with the idea that if there is more than one rat, they will get used to the bait and location as a food source, and keep coming back to that spot even if their friends get whacked. I don't bother washing my traps, as it doesn't seem to effect the trap rate for me. Changing the bait type has more of an affect if I know there are more rats around, but they are not coming to the trap

Patience young Jedi. It may take up to a week for first kill, if its a trophy adult (13",14" nose to end of tail), then another week for second kill. May get a few young immediately but not normal for "smarter" adults, their hunger will sooner or later get them dead. Normally I leave all as was and just add the traps, kills are faster, moving and upsetting stuff in their house makes them nervous and takes longer for the traps to work. There's a reason they are so common on this planet.

HM

I had a rat issue on my boat a few years back. You'll really need to figure out how they are getting into the boat, this helped for me. Make sure your tie downs are off the boat and that your leg is down. I set traps all over my boat and made sure they couldn't get on board by any means. In the end they were climbing up a power cord that I used to run my heater, so I removed this and that was that. I caught a few in standard traps and another one in one of those enclosed poison traps. Good luck!

Got one last night. Big sucker!!
So now I think I keep trapping for a while before openingit up, pulling side panels to acces wiring troughs,and bleaching everything. My thinking is if I leave it as is, smell included I might get the ones that are living in there.
What do ya think?

So now I think I keep trapping for a while before openingit up, pulling side panels to acces wiring troughs,and bleaching everything. My thinking is if I leave it as is, smell included I might get the ones that are living in there.
What do ya think?

Need pics.

:D

What do ya think?
Good job, you are right on track, no disturbance, reset and watch. May take a few days for next kill as other (s) may be warry now. Remember there IS another (s), their belly's will get them killed, always does. They are there due to food and/or shelter, remove both and infestation will not happen again. Keep us posted. Hopefully they have not ruined anything and its just a stinky cleanup. Otters, mink, squirrels and raccoons are the worst.

HM

Good job, you are right on track, no disturbance, reset and watch. May take a few days for next kill as other (s) may be warry now. Remember there IS another (s), their belly's will get them killed, always does. They are there due to food and/or shelter, remove both and infestation will not happen again. Keep us posted. Hopefully they have not ruined anything and its just a stinky cleanup. Otters, mink, squirrels and raccoons are the worst.

HM
Good point halimark, There must be a food source near by. Is your compost bin, or your neighbor's within 150 feet? garbage cans without tight lids, a big Maple tree ? Any near by food source should be removed or isolated. this will make it less desirable for a new batch to move in, and also make your bait more attractive to the ones that are already there.
Good work on the big one! Was it a male or female?

Or you (me) like and enjoy watching the wild birds on the suet and feeders and except the fact that rats come to feed BUT relish the challenge to keep their population thinned as soon as they show?????

HM

Well , maybe I got lucky and just had the one coming in to warm up now and then.

I have not got any more since the first of Jan. Cleaned all the poop out on Saturday and there is no new poop since. Actually no new poop since the bugger got dead.

Keeping traps in and baited but hopeful that they had not taken up residence.

Yay. Sometimes there is really only one... If you catch it quickly, before it has babies or throws a party for all the neighbours.

Sorry don't believe 1, never had only 1, sometimes a few weeks till #2 gets brave again, good to keep the traps set, watch the bait closely to see if its licked, eaten or disturbed. Good job, was the challenge sort of fun? Cleanup is not fun I admit, but better than a family of raccoons, man they make a huge stinky mess.

HM

My raccoon issue was same, in wood shed, tried lots to keep them out, they chewed back in, final answer= 330 conibear.

HM

Back