Stinky old tackle boxes - how to clean up?

chille51

Hey all - this is a new one for me. Just starting to put together some basic gear for saltwater fishing as I've always been a freshwater guy. Grew up in the interior but on the Island now so trying to get into things. Thought I'd get a head start by picking up some used gear on FB Marketplace. Got a pretty good deal on a couple of tackle boxes with a fair bit of hootchies, plugs, spoons, and flashers etc. All in all a good head start in putting a basic kit together from what I know. Only thing is... they kinda stink. Well, more than kinda... they more or less reek. Didn't notice when I picked them up, but when I sat down at home to take a closer inventory was very apparent. I was planning to give them a rinse out and re-organize anyway, but I think I'll need to go harder than that to scrub the smell out.

So, any ideas on best methods to get rid of or at least reduce the stink, without inadvertently putting any chemical smells or the like on the gear that will turn the fish off? I have them sitting and airing out open outside right now. I am thinking pull all the gear and soak in some hot water and vinegar or maybe oxyclean? I'm thinking bleach would be a mistake. As for the box itself, maybe some sort of vinegar baking soda treatment? If we can get any length of damn sun I'll give them some UV treatment too. Any thoughts or experiences?

leave it all stinky
lol... that'd be the easy thing to do for sure. Except for the fact that me and two other people starting gagging right away when we spent more than a minute looking into them. So I'm sure they'll be welcome on any boat that anyone might be feeling a little sea sick on! I don't know, maybe I just don't know what a well used saltwater box is supposed to smell like, but I've never noticed anything close with my freshwater stuff. It doesn't just smell "fishy"... more like someone chucked some bait or something in the bottom and forgot about it for a few months. Rancid would be a good descriptor.

I'd start with good old dishwashing soap put everything in a colander and scrub it all with a plastic brush under running water for something stronger a short soak in a mild bleach solution will work on the empty boxes& spoons but may negatively effect hootchies and adhesive on flasher tape (mind you stripping off old tape is NBD the thing will still work).

you could try baking soda to get some smell out. Let us know what you decide to use, if any good then maybe I'll try it on my tackle box as it stinks also.

you could try baking soda to get some smell out. Let us know what you decide to use, if any good then maybe I'll try it on my tackle box as it stinks also.
Thanks Jim and everyone else for the suggestions! I'll be spending some time scrubbing with some of these ideas this week and will let you know how it goes. Incidentally, I pinpointed what exactly the smell is reminiscent of.... vomit!

Thanks Jim and everyone else for the suggestions! I'll be spending some time scrubbing with some of these ideas this week and will let you know how it goes. Incidentally, I pinpointed what exactly the smell is reminiscent of.... vomit!
If it’s whale vomit, ca-ching!

Hey all - this is a new one for me. Just starting to put together some basic gear for saltwater fishing as I've always been a freshwater guy. Grew up in the interior but on the Island now so trying to get into things. Thought I'd get a head start by picking up some used gear on FB Marketplace. Got a pretty good deal on a couple of tackle boxes with a fair bit of hootchies, plugs, spoons, and flashers etc. All in all a good head start in putting a basic kit together from what I know. Only thing is... they kinda stink. Well, more than kinda... they more or less reek. Didn't notice when I picked them up, but when I sat down at home to take a closer inventory was very apparent. I was planning to give them a rinse out and re-organize anyway, but I think I'll need to go harder than that to scrub the smell out.

So, any ideas on best methods to get rid of or at least reduce the stink, without inadvertently putting any chemical smells or the like on the gear that will turn the fish off? I have them sitting and airing out open outside right now. I am thinking pull all the gear and soak in some hot water and vinegar or maybe oxyclean? I'm thinking bleach would be a mistake. As for the box itself, maybe some sort of vinegar baking soda treatment? If we can get any length of damn sun I'll give them some UV treatment too. Any thoughts or experiences?
First thing you should do is remove the 19 year old pack of anchovies....... that may help

Clean and air out any gear you think is worth keeping. Then throw out the boxes and buy new ones. Plastic will probably retain the smell and fish have good sense of smell. No one likes a smelly box.
Might be what ends up happening. I never intended to keep all of the boxes anyway. That said, there is one old Fenwick box that originally drew me to the deal in the first place. It's the same model as my freshwater box that I inherited from my father, and is from the 80's. I really like the size, style and durability of these boxes plus the nostalgia so I was stoked to find another one. But if I can't make it not stink, I'm not THAT attached to the box itself!

Go to somewhere that sells scent away. It’s a product designed for hunting. Gets rid of 99.9% of smells. It works great. I use it on my hands after I spill gas on them and the smell is 100% gone

Scrub it with Pro Cure Anchovie Paste. Better to leave that smell on your gear.

Go to somewhere that sells scent away. It’s a product designed for hunting. Gets rid of 99.9% of smells. It works great. I use it on my hands after I spill gas on them and the smell is 100% gone

I use WD-40 for getting rid of gas smell if I am using any gear that same day/time.

Empty the box out, clean with blue dawn and let it sit in the sun for a while (check periodically cuz some plastics will melt easier than others.

Back