The Shimano Conventional Lineup. If You Had To Choose Just Two.

Rain City

Crew Member
I keep seeing reels come up for sale on here and then going down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out the difference between them. It ends up being like buying golf balls by the description on the back. They're all long, but great for short game. Soft but firm. Delicate but super durable. And all the "perfect balance" for the 4 year old to the professional. Give me a break. I'd love to get some real life opinions on the best reels for the job. I doubt there's just one, so let's make it two. I'm sticking to the Shimano lineup to keep this simple. I fish for Hali (from now on) once, maybe twice a year and I found that 200-300 feet was adequate. Considering what we're allowed to keep, I don't need a reel that can handle 200lb fish at 1000 feet. I power mooch lings shallow and usually with the rod in hand. I doubt I'd personally need to consider Tuna for this conversation, but if that's your reasoning for a certain reel I'd love to hear it. I'm a smaller is better kinda guy, I like the option of being able to cast out swim baits. I currently have a Trinidad 16NA and a Talica 12. I'm not really in the market. Just bored so I thought I'd ask.

Is it just me or does the whole golf ball description sound like it was lifted from a boob factory's marketing material.

I think I'm onto something here.

You already got the one you need in the Talica 12
If you’ve already got a Talica your good to go
There’s probably 6 seasons on mine I switched to avets this year but already not overly impressed by them will probably be running my talicas again shortly

Stick with the Talica.....or get a generation 1 Fathom lever drag. You can find the single speed one's for an excellent price and maintenance on them is very easy to do yourself.

If you have the coin for Talicas, two of the 8s is more than enough for anything in our waters. If not, Torium 14s and 16s are pretty smooth too.

If you have the coin for Talicas, two of the 8s is more than enough for anything in our waters. If not, Torium 14s and 16s are pretty smooth too.
So what would be the difference between the two?

On paper, not much. Plenty of 40-50# braid for any use. 17-20# of drag. 38” per crank. In hand, the Talica is notably smoother, freespool and drag. Since y’all aren’t using live bait, the freespool isn’t much of a deal.

If you do some basic reel maintenance every year or so, the Torium will last. Heck, I have 4 old school Torium 30s I use as troll reels (tuna). I also have a couple Torium 14-16s, and a Tac8. The Talica VS Torium is similar to Mercedes vs Honda?

Attachments

• DB3D1FEF-6175-403F-AD19-00460BFDA54D.png
    DB3D1FEF-6175-403F-AD19-00460BFDA54D.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 64DF7589-3364-4498-BCEC-109EA05452B6.png
    64DF7589-3364-4498-BCEC-109EA05452B6.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6E301F28-2B40-462B-9FF0-05F358BB1837.png
    6E301F28-2B40-462B-9FF0-05F358BB1837.png
    294 KB · Views: 6
On paper, not much. Plenty of 40-50# braid for any use. 17-20# of drag. 38” per crank. In hand, the Talica is notably smoother, freespool and drag. Since y’all aren’t using live bait, the freespool isn’t much of a deal.

If you do some basic reel maintenance every year or so, the Torium will last. Heck, I have 4 old school Torium 30s I use as troll reels (tuna). I also have a couple Torium 14-16s, and a Tac8. The Talica VS Torium is similar to Mercedes vs Honda?
So I'm guessing the difference between a lot of them is just price then? They're just making different models to target each price point?

If you're looking for a Shimano that works like a trooper and won't
break the bank, the Tekota is a great reel for about $300
Switched to these from Avets and they are bullet proof !

I just got two of the speed master II 12's for hali. Haven't tried them out yet, but they seem like good value for money.

Talica has a lever drag. Torium has a star drag.

Talica has a lever drag. Torium has a star drag.
And do people ever prefer a star drag? I really like the lever drag. I've heard star drags can be problematic.

I guess these are the things I'm interested In understanding. Why specifically are people chosing one reel over another.

And do people ever prefer a star drag? I really like the lever drag. I've heard star drags can be problematic.

I guess these are the things I'm interested In understanding. Why specifically are people chosing one reel over another.
Ive had a lot of success with star drags in the past. Their price point is generally more favorable. Lever drags are key when using circle hooks or fly lining with live bait

I prefer star drag when I have rookies aboard or when I’m jigging. Lots easier to have the set drag when I’m dropping jigs over and over and over. Too easy to muck up the drag with a lever when getting hammered on the drop.

Back