ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

Looked for some coho or feeders trolling off FC today and no love. Literally 1000s of birds working krill i think. Never seen anything like it on this side of the island. About 8 other boats trolling the humps.

We cruised all the way to big Q looking for schooling coho to cast to and only saw 4 jumpers. Lots of seals/sealions and a few dolphins.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Looked for some coho or feeders trolling off FC today and no love. Literally 1000s of birds working krill i think. Never seen anything like it on this side of the island. About 8 other boats trolling the humps.

We cruised all the way to big Q looking for schooling coho to cast to and only saw 4 jumpers. Lots of seals/sealions and a few dolphins.

We did the official transfer today from the West to the East and yeah the marine life was very active.

We ran into a pod of dolphins that must of been 40 large in Northumberland Channel.

IMG_0808.jpg

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Heard about and saw some pic's today of a couple of fellows fishing just outside of Parksville Bay and playing quite a few nice chrome coho these last few days. They rowed out in punts and were catching them on the fly. They said they were playing around 20 fish a day:D.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Just back from the beach beside french creek marina (south side) pretty choppy but loads of big coho. Better get the fly rod out

Just back from the beach beside french creek marina (south side) pretty choppy but loads of big coho. Better get the fly rod out

quote:Originally posted by Gronk

Just back from the beach beside french creek marina (south side) pretty choppy </u> but loads of big coho. Better get the fly rod out

Looked pretty snotty here at work today (Nanaimo). My buddy up in CR said it was blowing like a b*stard up there. The next couple of days look the same[V]. Were you fishing Gronk?

quote:Originally posted by Gronk

Just back from the beach beside french creek marina (south side) pretty choppy </u> but loads of big coho. Better get the fly rod out

Looked pretty snotty here at work today (Nanaimo). My buddy up in CR said it was blowing like a b*stard up there. The next couple of days look the same[V]. Were you fishing Gronk?

Hey Kelly, had the boat washed and ready to go Monday but it was blowin and nasty out so I got a fire going and cracked a bevy and watched the Lions fall hard. It was a great couch day as I watched the canucks game as well. Maybe I'm getting smarter in my old age or maybe just need get her back in the marina full time.BRS

Finally something to report!:D. Me and Bushy took out a buddy with us yesterday and had a blast. We headed to Ballenas cause it was blowin SE 20knts.There was tons of bait so we trolled there for a couple hours and squat. Decided to head to Gerald and troll with the wind to the sparbuoy. The newbie was havin a tinkle over the starboard side and starts yelling fish on with his willy in his hand so Bushy grabs the rod and I pull and clear the rigger and grab the net. I look at the port side rod and its going crazy so the new guy grabs it so I net the first fish and clear the second rigger and Bushy takes the fish out of the net and gets the second fish. Both were wild and about ten pounds each. Made two more passes over that spot and squat. Was a great day for end of Oct. Both fish were on hootchys at 150ft. BRS

Hi BRS....that's great to hear. Would have been nice out there yesterday. Were you getting close to the spar when you hit the fish.

Right on greg. Nice to hear a few fish are around.I had one hit while i was taking a leak in august. I didnt have the courtesy to let the other guy grab the rod. Lets just everything got hosed down early ahhaha.

Hey Kelly, ya I would have grabbed the other rod too, kids these days. Mrwood I was just north of Gerald about a third of the way to the sparbuoy. Theres a spot where it goes from about 180 to 140 then back down. Had a white hootchy on one side with a full size green flasher and a needlefish army truck with a mini plaid flasher on the other. Just goes to show it doesnt matter what you have on if youre in the zone. And a bit of luck always helps too. BRS

Was out yesterday and fished Mistaken, Gerald, Spar Bouy....sounds like a lot but they're more or less the same spot. No salmon, 1 juvey ling and 1 6-7lb ling (released, it looked tasty though). Saw feed on the sounder in a number of places. The feed was between 50-100' in 150-200' of water. Also got a nice rock cod that was released and did swim back down. Beauty day, was like glass out there.
No one else on the water besides a few sail boats floundering about....or is it foundering.

Hey MRWood, just got your message......a little late. My boat is now back in the driveway with new bottom paint and a good polish on the gel coat and new pinstripes. It's lookin good and hopefully I can get her back in for a month or two in the marina, its way easier to get out. Gotta stock up on the Christmas prawns for the gang, its been a while since I've prawned but this is usually the best time of year. Kelly, you around for Christmas?

Back