ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

Hey Tyee Slayer is that all you do in your busy day is to hang out at construction sites...............I'll bet you follow fire trucks too. BRS

No more fire trucks for me, I just clown around now. Waiting for the herring to show so I can get you a large bucket. Probably see you tomorrow if they aren't pile driving or the stellar sealions aren't posing for their photo op.

Thanks boys, want to get the boat wet here soon - work keeps interfering:) and the weather hasn't been favorable either:(. I will have to check b-4 dragging the boat down to the water, soon I hope.

Cheers

Not sure if I should just let this old thread die and post under the new Sticky Nanimo reoorts or what. Anyway Bushy and I were out yesterday and he nailed a beauty 15lber. We trolled Ballenas for an hour to get out of the wind(SE 25-30) and decided to try Gerald so we pounded over and had to troll into it. We trolled right past Gerald Douglas and Yeo (on the outside out of the RCA) and he nailed it before Winchelsea. About 150 ft on a 4" coyote and it was tough in the wind but I managed to get it in the net as the hook came out. It was hatchery marked and stomach was empty. Went to pick up the prawn traps this morning and they were hooked solid on something down there and eventually snapped the line......F#@K!!!!!!!!! lost a bunch of line and two new stainless commercial traps. I think I'll stick to fishin for a while....BRS

BRS, sorry I couldn't join you both, had a few things to take care of, wife just came back from Vancouver and she had her to do list. Too bad about your traps, wonder what was holding them, maybe too many prawns. Time to hire the navy seals for retrieval.

Hey MRWood, ya I was choked. Tried to get it unhooked for about ten minutes then just hooked it on the back cleat and hit the throttle, works most of the time. Thanks for the pointers on the mooring buoy thing, I might need to pick your brain again. Give me a shout if your around the hood. BRS

Hey Slayer it did blow like a bugger out there, thought you might wait for a calmer day. I'm sure the fishin will be better soon, April May June are the best months out here. Stop in this week for a visit. BRS

Hey Kelly got out yesterday with a buddy and made it as far as Gerald before he turned green and starting chumming! It was supposed to settle down to 10-15 knots SE and it was double that with some huge swells. They put up the new board at Beachcomber last week and Bushy and I are still the only ones on it with the 15lber last week. Are you comin home for Easter? If so are you gonna launch the boat? Mine is in for now. BRS

Tried to get it unhooked for about ten minutes then just hooked it on the back cleat and hit the throttle, works most of the time.
Sorry to hear about your traps. I don't know enough to be critical, but it is my understanding that trying to free anything stuck to the bottom by towing from the stern could be unsafe. Can anyone suggest a better way?

You could bridle it so that it pulls from the center at the back off the two cleats. Realistically though unless there is big swell/currents i cant see it being that dangerous. It might pull you a bit sideways but you could just throttle back.

First trip of the year. Took an hour to get the engine going but traced the problem to a corroded wire. Hit an 8lber first pass at Gerald and that was it. Good to have a fish on the line finally though.

Heres Jonny the savage posing with it.

salmy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well another windy day and another fish. Got a scrappy 10lber off Gerald in the first hour and then trolled for 6 hours with nothing. Trolled from Gerald to Winchelsea with the tide and then ran over to Ballenas for a few passes and nothing. Tried hootchies and spoons and the best was 4 inch coyote black and white(also released one in the first 5 min that would have been close). Kelly if youre around for a while stop in and show me how to post a pic. Thanks BRS

Hey Greg i had to head back to Van. I got sick and they actually cancelled my surgery that was this week. Im a soft butt mainlander i guess now but at least i bonked a salmon. Ill give you a shout when im back at easter. Maybe we can go check out the secret spot.

Hey Kelly, hope youre feeling better. Glad to hear you figured out the kill switch oops I mean corroded wire problem....just kidding but I knew a guy once that came all the way in from Sangster on kicker before he figured out it was the clip on the kill switch. Talk to you soon, did you get my pics, Bushy said to me at the end of the day I must be Irish cause all I used was green so had to take a pic. BRS

Haha ill never live that down....... I just sanded all the connections as they had a bit of corrosion, tightened a loose wire connection and the ol merc started purring. Im in town this weekend and will show you how to do the pics if your around. I was also wondering if you know of any sealions in the area aside from the crew on the logbooms. I know winchelsea has a haulout they sometimes use but havent heard them barking much.

Hey Kelly, there are still a few sea lions on Winchelsea and probably a bunch on the south side of the North island at Ballenas. Bushy and I trolled for about seven hours yesterday and squat. Started at the sparbuouy and trolled past Gerald to Yeo and went in to Schooner for fuel. I was fillin her up($130/litre not bad) when we approached by a fisheries officer. Nice young guy and wasnt rude or anything,asked to see our licences and gear to check for barbs and talked fishin for a while. Man those guys are loaded for bear.....semi auto hand gun, pepper spray, ammo and baton!! The last time I was checked was at Shearwater about 8 years ago and the guy was a real dick even though we weren't doing anything wrong so this time it changed my opinion of those guys for the better. My boat is in the water for another month and you are always welcome. The fish should start showin up soon hope the weather co-operates. BRS

Hey Moon, the prawning always sucks right before the commercial guys start, don't know why and it doesn't seem to affect them at all. I know what you mean about bait on the sounder, it's everywhere. I went to Ballenas and there was lots there too. Maybe herring that the commies left? What did you get your fish on? BRS

Back