ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

I've prawned for a number of years and this is the worst it has become. Went from OK to bizarre overnight last week. And not just me. Could it be related to the algae bloom, the full moon ?? The lure was a Goldstar silver horde Irish creme with a minature splatterback hootchie on the hook. Hbr Chandler thought the combo might work and viola. 150 in 180.

Have a buddy out from Alberta and tried to get him a salmon yesterday. Ran down to French Creek and trolled for 4 hours and lots of pacific cod and algae on the lines. Best day weather wise this year went and talked to the locals and not alot of fish around yet but got some sun. BRS

Hey Kelly, unfortunately I'm sittin at work while you guys are out catchin fish......look forward to your report later BRS

Great day out there, 20 celcius, sunny, flat calm and even some fish around. The seasons upon us as we saw a few fishing lodges being towed north. Started off diving with some sealions and seals near winchelsea. Sealions were a bit sketchy as i was doing it solo freediving and those bastards are huge! Couldnt get much in the way of underwater video due to 5ft of visibility but will post some up if i can. Ran over to gerald at 1pm and we managed to bang off our 4 springs in 2 hours. 150-170ft small green/chrome spoons and splatterback hootch.

limit2.jpg

He was just over thirty and the others were fifteen. Haha but seriously he was only about fifteen and the other guys were only 25-26 inches.

Hey Kelly, I ran down to Gerald Sun morning to see if you left any fish and apparently you caught the last four. Didn't show any fish or bait and the algae was still bad. Gotta work today are you still here? Thanks again for helping my Alberta buddy he would have pretty happy to catch something.BRS

Picked up a 12 lber this am @ Gerald and lost one running back at me that seemed a bit bigger. Lots showing on the sounder. Irish creme @ 170.

Hey Greg just saw this sorry I missed ya. It's to bad your buddy didn't hit one he looked to be doing everything right. Glenn it's great to hear some fish are still around. I'm back the following weekend to try and spearfish a big lingcod free diving to mix things up.

Haha yea with a speargun. I was gettin down around 90ft in febuary and figure i can likely break 100 but wont try without a safety diver. You know the wall im thinking of on the otherside. I figure if i cruise around 50-60ft ill find a nice ling. Now i just need to find a camera that can go deeper than mine and rig it up on the gun so it catches the action.

Holy crap 90ft!! That would be cool I know half a dozen good spots for that, I was thinking 20ft max. I dropped the thrust bearing for my big motor in 15ft at the dock when I was changing my prop. Maybe you could zip down and pick it up for me. BRS

Bonked a nice red 10lber off Gerald this morning. Flat calm and sun was out too bad I had to work. A buddy was also out and lost one beside the boat so they are starting to show up, another couple weeks and Sangster should start producing. Anyone been to French Creek lately? BRS

Nice morning so I ran over to Sangster primarily with Ling in mind. Trolled for about 1 1/2 hrs without success but did get a very nice Ling. Stopped at Gerald on the way back and picked up an 11 after you guys had left and released a marginal sized one. All about 165 on Irish creme and splatter back spoons.

Good weekend fishing out of Nanoose. Fished Gerald and Mistaken, seems to be lots of springs 10-15# for the most part. Picked up a 17, 14 and 11# on Sat, released a few others. On Sun kept a 10# released a two border line keepers and lost a couple of good ones. Fishing spoons 6' leader behind flasher 120' down (best spoon = Kelly's favourite). Fish are full of small 1-2" herring.

FishpicJun192011002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mrwood good to see you at the dock the other day. Too bad you you couldnt make it out yesterday we bonked 2 and released 2. The 2 we kept were 16 and 21 pounds and chock full of baby herring. Gerald was the spot again half a dozen boats and it looked like everyone was havin fun,saw lots of nets come out. BRS

Hi BRS...were you using spoons. I got all mine on spoons mostly the green and white. I tried a little squirt to imitate the herring but didn't get anything on it.

I have had great luck on a tiny 2.5-3 inch green/chrome coyote when those small herring are around. Beats using an ugly green/white piece of junk even if you catch less.

Back