DOWNRIGGER WEIGHT RETRIEVER

I’ve never seen the need to run your booms stuck way out anyways. I know some guys do it when they are running deep but really how much difference can it make when those lines are out 200’. Like how can an extra 15 or 20“ 200’ away make, none that my common sense tells me. That’s why I like the finned weights. I just put the slightest little bend in the fins and have them pulling out from each other. In all my years I’ve crossed my downrigger lines once.
Depending on where your riggers are mounted, getting the booms way out further makes cornering a bit easier - lower risk of getting a line in your prop. Sure, you still don't want to corner too tight, but if you got 'em why not use 'em!

There’s likely a reason why I shouldn’t do this but...
clip (48 in) is set for just under the wheel and ball is out of the water but the clip still is.
This is where the magic starts, i dip my rod in the water scooping the clip up while pushing reel down and the dam clip slides right to me but I drop it back in and get it on the next scoop

There’s likely a reason why I shouldn’t do this but...
clip (48 in) is set for just under the wheel and ball is out of the water but the clip still is.
This is where the magic starts, i dip my rod in the water scooping the clip up while pushing reel down and the dam clip slides right to me but I drop it back in and get it on the next scoop
You lost me....

To get the clip
I don’t need a rope retrieval, no gaff, no lifting rigger or swivelling it.
I simply retrieve the clip with my rod tip and raise it up then the clip slides down and I grab it.

To get the clip
I don’t need a rope retrieval, no gaff, no lifting rigger or swivelling it.
I simply retrieve the clip with my rod tip and raise it up then the clip slides down and I grab it.
Sounds good. But how short are your rods? I can't imagine having 6 feet of rod under water while underway.

Sounds good. But how short are your rods? I can't imagine having 6 feet of rod under water while underway.
I have been doing the same as Original for many years. My clips are usually at the surface or above when I stop the riggers (cannonball is just in the water). I make my clips 4 feet for 4 foot back rigger and ~6 feet for the side riggers which stay fully extended (6 feet). My rod goes under the clip (which is on the surface) then I lift and lower the butt end slightly and with a little practice the clip slides right to me where I secure it over the rod holder on my rigger or over the gunnel. I have 10'6" rods but I'm sure this method would also work fine with 9 foot rods as well. I usually only swivel the riggers to clear space for landing a fish.
...Rob

I had a better solution for this until I invested in more expensive mooching reels. I used the handle knobs on my Shimano moocher to grab the clip from the rigger’s cable. In our sport, laziness is the mother of creativity!

I have been doing the same as Original for many years. My clips are usually at the surface or above when I stop the riggers (cannonball is just in the water). I make my clips 4 feet for 4 foot back rigger and ~6 feet for the side riggers which stay fully extended (6 feet). My rod goes under the clip (which is on the surface) then I lift and lower the butt end slightly and with a little practice the clip slides right to me where I secure it over the rod holder on my rigger or over the gunnel. I have 10'6" rods but I'm sure this method would also work fine with 9 foot rods as well. I usually only swivel the riggers to clear space for landing a fish.
...Rob
Damn. So much for patenting my invention

I’ve never seen the need to run your booms stuck way out anyways. I know some guys do it when they are running deep but really how much difference can it make when those lines are out 200’. Like how can an extra 15 or 20“ 200’ away make, none that my common sense tells me. That’s why I like the finned weights. I just put the slightest little bend in the fins and have them pulling out from each other. In all my years I’ve crossed my downrigger lines once.
You’ve never fished the Fraser then. Currents and tides can be brutal.

I use them on my 17fter. Booms fully extended, riggers are mounted a bit forward. Lots of advantages for me. Setting gear, pulling ball out of the way when Landing fish….
Also it’s fun to tug on them while passing other boats. Makes your rod pound like you have a fish on. Other boat usually will start yelling “fish on” and pointing at your rod. I put my hand up to ear and pretend I can’t hear them. They start yelling louder. Lol.

Last edited:
I use them on my 17fter. Booms fully extended, riggers are mounted a bit forward. Lots of advantages for me. Setting gear, pulling ball out of the way when Landing fish….
Also it’s fun to tug on them while passing other boats. Makes your rod pound like you have a fish on. Other boat usually will start yelling “fish on” and pointing at your rod. I put my hand up to ear and pretend I can’t hear them. They start yelling louder. Lol.
Dangerous teasing those of us enduring a 2 day skunk

Back