Bead chains/Terminal gear….when to replace.

pescador

Just curious how long you use bead chains/and other terminal gear? How do you know they’re done? And anybody lube them with WD40? I had a downrigger terminal gear swivel break in half 2 weeks ago. I hate throwing out gear but now realize it’s only a question of time when this **** breaks.

Just curious how long you use bead chains/and other terminal gear? How do you know they’re done? And anybody lube them with WD40? I had a downrigger terminal gear swivel break in half 2 weeks ago. I hate throwing out gear but now realize it’s only a question of time when this **** breaks.
I also had a swivel break on my downrigger terminal , was 3 years old carrying a 15lb ball , expensive lesson .Now I know! The bead swivels for lures etc I’ve yet to have one fail based on age although when they start getting green or look ****** I will swap them out

I don't have any system per se. Just look at the gear and if it shows any signs of rust, build up of discolouration - its gone. I fish a lot of days, so for most gear I'll go through it at end of season to cull out some of the longer in the tooth stuff. Bit of preventative maintenance. Down rigger stuff is changed out usually once a month.

After your season is done wash all terminal tackle in hot fresh water & dishwashing soap then rinse half to death and allow to air dry for a week.

Then marinate in Corrosion X for 3 days or so, drain and dry on paper towels-your gear will last for years & years.

09-00925a.jpg

FWIW Corrosion X is also excellent for bicycles.

Back