DOWNRIGGER WEIGHT RETRIEVER

Does anybody use these NO. 3025 DOWNRIGGER WEIGHT RETRIEVER.
Pros and cons with them.
Do any of the downrigger release clips get cought up on the Weight retriever.

I like them a lot. Clip only gets caught when your coffee hasn't kicked in yet. You'll see.

I'm short and weak. I installed them on my double eagle and they are great BUT pulling in 15lb balls still suck. In search of a more lazy solution for my new boat I realised extending the line on the clips meant that I could use my boat hook to pull in the clip instead of pulling in a line with 15lb on it. The release clip weights nothing and lets me get gear down much faster

If you have reasonably high gunnels they work very well, but i have found if your gunnels are low it is not so easy to pull them in. Why? I don't know, something to do with the angle you are pulling at and mechaniclal advantage??

Tubber, I agree with the doughnut for a weed trap. Used to get mad when someone let it hang down in the water, then one day noticed how well it worked with keeping weeds from sliding down the line to the release. Now it is a feature!

Dont need it, never used it for over 30 yrs , just another gimmick to get in the way IMHO, lean and loose a pound or use a gaff lol
I hang the weight on the boom hook and swing my rigger in while landing a fish or traveling. All I do is give my rigger a quick tip up, let the weight swing in and grab it hanging next to the boom, quick hook on the hook and it’s away. Not so easy I’m sure if one is solo mind you. For me the less crap I have laying around and looking to get tangled in stuff the better I like it. Nice clean deck and work area always. Everything is set just so. Stopper is set so the weight stops just long enough so it can’t swing back and hit the boat and damage it and just the right distance to hang on the hook. Everything is ready for that 40lber at all times.

I hang the weight on the boom hook and swing my rigger in while landing a fish or traveling. All I do is give my rigger a quick tip up, let the weight swing in and grab it hanging next to the boom, quick hook on the hook and it’s away. Not so easy I’m sure if one is solo mind you. For me the less crap I have laying around and looking to get tangled in stuff the better I like it. Nice clean deck and work area always. Everything is set just so. Stopper is set so the weight stops just long enough so it can’t swing back and hit the boat and damage it and just the right distance to hang on the hook. Everything is ready for that 40lber at all times.
Makes perfect sense but how does that help grab clips while setting gear?

Well when you tip up you rigger and the ball comes in so does the cable which the line clip is attached to. I rarely run my booms extended out far for me it’s an easy reach to grab the clip line.

Had them on for two days fishing and took them off. More stuff to get in the way. If your riggers are positioned properly you shouldn't need your booms extended all the way out anyways unless you're running 3 or 4 of them. If you need to swing your ball in you can just raise your boom up.

Had them on for two days fishing and took them off. More stuff to get in the way. If your riggers are positioned properly you shouldn't need your booms extended all the way out anyways unless you're running 3 or 4 of them. If you need to swing your ball in you can just raise your boom up.
I’ve never seen the need to run your booms stuck way out anyways. I know some guys do it when they are running deep but really how much difference can it make when those lines are out 200’. Like how can an extra 15 or 20“ 200’ away make, none that my common sense tells me. That’s why I like the finned weights. I just put the slightest little bend in the fins and have them pulling out from each other. In all my years I’ve crossed my downrigger lines once.

I’ve never seen the need to run your booms stuck way out anyways. I know some guys do it when they are running deep but really how much difference can it make when those lines are out 200’. Like how can an extra 15 or 20“ 200’ away make, none that my common sense tells me. That’s why I like the finned weights. I just put the slightest little bend in the fins and have them pulling out from each other. In all my years I’ve crossed my downrigger lines once.
Yup I agree. I never run mine all the way out and never get lines crossed unless combat fishing while double stacked on each side and some other boat cuts us off and have to drastically very sharply turn but even that's a rareity as I'm not a fan of fishing close to packs of boats but when just fishing normal even double stacked we don't get lines crossed without extending booms.

Well when you tip up you rigger and the ball comes in so does the cable which the line clip is attached to. I rarely run my booms extended out far for me it’s an easy reach to grab the clip line.
Gotcha. I run the double rod holder base so the tip up isn't really and option for me anymore. I used to do it that way though, never really thought about why I liked the retrievers now.

I mean come to think about it I'm not sure why I even extend my booms at all anymore with a 12' beam.

Some of us little guys have a few feet less beam than you big guys so the extra couple feet makes a big difference. as mentioned early in the thread, it’s a safety issue reaching way out when solo fishing especially.

Depends on your beam, how deep youre fishing, how quickly u want to execute your turns, etc.

Back