downrigger adjustment

Lewy

Hi guys, been having a few issues with one of the riggers not spooling out or spooling out very slowly. Often it'll spool out normally to about 40 then start slowing down or stopping and I have to open the cover and give the spool a few pushes to get it to start again. Have tried adjusting the top nut tension but the adjustments I do don't seem to last or end up being too slack.
I had both of them apart for cleaning at the start of last season and followed the reassembly videos on youtube, but maybe I missed something?
Any tips? These are the older Scotty electric downriggers riggers with mechanical counters BTW.

Hi guys, been having a few issues with one of the riggers not spooling out or spooling out very slowly. Often it'll spool out normally to about 40 then start slowing down or stopping and I have to open the cover and give the spool a few pushes to get it to start again. Have tried adjusting the top nut tension but the adjustments I do don't seem to last or end up being too slack.
I had both of them apart for cleaning at the start of last season and followed the reassembly videos on youtube, but maybe I missed something?
Any tips? These are the older Scotty electric downriggers riggers with mechanical counters BTW.
the top nut is not for adjusting only the bottom nut loosens the spool. try adjusting the belt tensioner screw.

Is the cable binding on its self in the spool? You might want to find somewhere deep enough that you can drop it deep enough to get past that point and bring it in with a even load.
Good point, I'm using dacron and the rigger gets sent down to 200+ depending on the spot, but generally this winter in the bay been fishing at 80ish

the top nut is not for adjusting only the bottom nut loosens the spool. try adjusting the belt tensioner screw.
Yes for sure. I've been adjusting the bottom nut. The belt tensioner screw sounds like a plan, I'll have to take a look for it - where is that?

if you are in Victoria, just take them out to the scotty shop and get them to tune them up. I've always had them done for free and its piece of mind that they are done right.

if you are in Victoria, just take them out to the scotty shop and get them to tune them up. I've always had them done for free and its piece of mind that they are done right.
Not original owner so can't do that (free) Thanks anyway

Might need a spool replacement. They tend to warp and bind up.
Ah... I think this may be it. I've noticed the spooling out being eccentric and thought maybe the shaft spindle was bent? Of course not. The spool is warped for sure. Does anyone know if Trotac or Island outfitters have them or do I have to order?
edit ...I just called Trotac and they said best to call Scotty. John at Scotty asked me if I was using braid (yes) and he said braid warps the spools, nothing can be done to fix it so I'm getting a replacement spool. Thanks to all that responded, all the best guys

Last edited:
Ah... I think this may be it. I've noticed the spooling out being eccentric and thought maybe the shaft spindle was bent? Of course not. The spool is warped for sure. Does anyone know if Trotac or Island outfitters have them or do I have to order?
edit ...I just called Trotac and they said best to call Scotty. John at Scotty asked me if I was using braid (yes) and he said braid warps the spools, nothing can be done to fix it so I'm getting a replacement spool. Thanks to all that responded, all the best guys
One of mine split from the braid. Scotty sent a replacement and said to wrap the spool with tape before putting the braid back on. The splitting often happens if your cannonball gets hung up and the braid gets pulled tight, it is very sharp and will cut through the plastic.

I had had a few spools warp and crack over the years. Always with braid on it. I do fish heavier balls at time 18’s and deep at times.

Very distinctive when they go. During retrieval spool is noisy and brake gets sticky coming up. I can usually look at the spool and see the crack by the hub.

Buy a new spool. They are not very expensive and tends to fix the problem.

Also I carry a spare spool with braid on it in case I crack a spool or lose some line on a cannonball loss.

Not original owner so can't do that (free) Thanks anyway
I took mine to Island Outfitters at end of last season. They do Scotty maintenance under warranty. I think it was $15 per rigger. They replaced a brake and they came back running like new. Cheaper than gas to Sidney for me.

Also look at the top pully if it seizes does the same thing it get crudded up with ell grass weeks etc id look there first

Back