downrigger adjustment

We warp spools all the time. Sometimes all it takes is to snag up for a brief second. Sometimes they get so warped they won't even spool out after that. Sometimes your fighting it trying to adjust the nut so you can continue fishing that day.

We warp spools all the time. Sometimes all it takes is to snag up for a brief second. Sometimes they get so warped they won't even spool out after that. Sometimes your fighting it trying to adjust the nut so you can continue fishing that day.
I've adjusted this one so much it's amazing the wrench is still on the boat and not in the chuck!

I've adjusted this one so much it's amazing the wrench is still on the boat and not in the chuck!
Lol. Yeah I'd say it's warped. Spare parts are the only real answer. That aluminum spool that Brando posted I'm sure would be a nice upgrade. Spendy

The way the old one split, does it look like it’s a two piece unit or maybe just a seam in the center from the manufacturing process?
It was a 2-piece unit and the bottom section was cracked at the bolt holes where the captive nuts sit. I might have a go at repairing it later.

When I tried to fit the replacement hub from Scotty I eventually figured out they'd given me the wrong hub. The gearing on the replacement was flush with the edge of the hub and my original gearing sat about 1/4" inside the edge, so the new hub wouldn't clear the drive belt wheel.
I was able to take it apart though, and after some modification ended up bolting the old gear wheel and spindle to the new hub and everything went back together.
I thought I mentioned my riggers were mechanical counter units but looks like they gave me an electric counter hub because there was a magnet inside it.

Anyway it looks like the pressure build up from the braid is enough to crack a hub so before I loaded this new one back up I wrapped the core with a bunch of thick tape backing just like I'd back an old Peetz wooden reel.

all good now, back home trying to get warm again LOL

Have you tried? I am not the original owner either, but have been servicing free at Scotty since 2001. I've only ever paid for parts if needed.
Old boatbuilder here so used to maintaining my own stuff. I don't need to take the riggers into Scotty, these are fairly simple devices and adjustment is pretty logical. Scotty did give me the part I needed just now so all good.

One of my downriggers 1106 feels like the brake is on and the 15lb ball will only drop when I hand feed line with the brake releaswd. I take the belt off then release the brake and it works as it should.
My assumption is that the shaft output bearing is binding and needs replacing

One of my downriggers 1106 feels like the brake is on and the 15lb ball will only drop when I hand feed line with the brake releaswd. I take the belt off then release the brake and it works as it should.
My assumption is that the shaft output bearing is binding and needs replacing
That's what mine was like too, but it turned out the spool was cracked and distorted. When the brake is off the spool should spin freely. If you remove the terminal gear (weight/snubber etc), take off the counter, belts and undo the locknut, you should be able to lift the spool off the shaft and see if it's binding or not. My guess is your spool is cracked, I only say that because you have the same symptoms I did. When you have the spool in hand, check the width of the gap between the top and bottom all around - if it's not the same width at all points, you have a cracked spool.

Why do people think that you have to be the original owner to get free service at Scotty? I took both my downriggers in and explained that I was far from the original owner and they said it does not matter. They warranty the product, not the owner.

Last edited:
Why do people think that you have to be the original owner to get free service at Scotty? I took both my downriggers in and explained that I was far from the original owner and they said it does not matter. They warranty the product, not the owner.
Because almost every other product out there uses the bulls**t "original owner only" policy to limit their exposure. Scotty chooses to build the cost of blanket product warranty into their retail pricing and just gets it done. Their reputation for fair dealing is immense as a result.

Some retailers won't deal with the warranty unless you purchased it there. That's when a receipt is required. But yes, you can send it to Scotty yourself in that case.

Because almost every other product out there uses the bulls**t "original owner only" policy to limit their exposure. Scotty chooses to build the cost of blanket product warranty into their retail pricing and just gets it done. Their reputation for fair dealing is immense as a result.
I think the forever warranty does apply to our old stuff (plus we're local boys, so there's that) but the new stuff sold on the website asks you to register the downrigger, your name, serial#s etc. I think things might be different in the future and the warranty might just apply to orig owner, just like midas mufflers LOL

Hi guys, been having a few issues with one of the riggers not spooling out or spooling out very slowly. Often it'll spool out normally to about 40 then start slowing down or stopping and I have to open the cover and give the spool a few pushes to get it to start again. Have tried adjusting the top nut tension but the adjustments I do don't seem to last or end up being too slack.
I had both of them apart for cleaning at the start of last season and followed the reassembly videos on youtube, but maybe I missed something?
Any tips? These are the older Scotty electric downriggers riggers with mechanical counters BTW.
Check belt tension and pulley free movement. Mine did that think it was the belt tesion

I think the forever warranty does apply to our old stuff (plus we're local boys, so there's that) but the new stuff sold on the website asks you to register the downrigger, your name, serial#s etc. I think things might be different in the future and the warranty might just apply to orig owner, just like midas mufflers LOL
I broke the red lever that holds my old Scotty upright. None at the parts store so called Scotty direct. Got a call back while I was on the lake. I had no receipts and 5 years out of warranty and never registered my riggers when I bought them. Guy asked if I was a BC boy and when I said yes, mailed me the part I needed free of charge, marked me down in the system and registered my downriggers in the warranty program. Best service ever.

Some retailers won't deal with the warranty unless you purchased it there. That's when a receipt is required. But yes, you can send it to Scotty yourself in that case.
A few retailers offer to keep an electronic copy of your receipt so you don't have to retain paper receipts. Instead of limiting exposure by insisting on the piece of paper (because retailers know people lose receipts), they serve the customer and add value. What they get in return of course, is your contact info when you create an account, and a reasonable chance at return business because the 'receipts on file' is an attractive service not offered everywhere.

Back