Downrigger getting tired?

Any common theme to what is making a crunching sound when engaging the motor? (before I take mine apart) Makes a noise and a bit of a shake when paying out the line too. New spools this spring, cable not braid, no split spool. 2106 series.

Any common theme to what is making a crunching sound when engaging the motor? (before I take mine apart) Makes a noise and a bit of a shake when paying out the line too. New spools this spring, cable not braid, no split spool. 2106 series.
I’d bet once you take it apart you will find a cracked piece of plastic somewhere. I’ve never had any crunchy sounds but i only use 15 pounders on the non-hp downriggers

I switched over to aluminum spools on my 2601s a couple years ago (made by a guy down here in the Seattle area). They are great and I regularly run 18 and 20 lb balls. Spendy, but one less thing to worry about!

will have some abor's made up to fit around the spool that will stop the cracking hit me up for pre -order's ........

i have tried 100' of 100lb mono backing and it seemed to fix the warping problem.

Love my Scotty's, just don't love the warping spool issue - guess its time to invest in those aluminum spools.

I second that.

I think part of the problem is where the line goes through the top of the spool to start the spool. That might have something to do with the fact that you have basically zero stretch in that line and braid winds up so tight that it busts the spool. It always cracks in the same spot for us.

Think maybe run the line through the center of the spool and use a layer of rubber first and then spool up the braid.

Or just spend 200 each on aluminum spools and hope for the best. I don't see how they woulldnt workout. Unless then something else breaks.

Love my Scotty's, just don't love the warping spool issue - guess its time to invest in those aluminum spools.
The stock plastic two piece spool design just don’t seem to last once braid gets hung up on something and cinches down. I have not seen a spool split that runs cable, maybe others have. I have a set of braid spools and a set of cable spools, the braid spools have a couple of layers of duct tape wrapped around the centre by me.

Sounds like a cheaper solution for sure - are you running 400' of braid? I'm also thinking part of my issues have been related to loading up a lot more line as I'm finding myself fishing some deeper areas more. Noticed the warping issues once I went ot 400' of braid.

Sounds like a cheaper solution for sure - are you running 400' of braid? I'm also thinking part of my issues have been related to loading up a lot more line as I'm finding myself fishing some deeper areas more. Noticed the warping issues once I went ot 400' of braid.
I started doing a few wraps of duct tape a couple years back and haven't had a badly warped spool since. I run 450 feet of braid.

I run 250 lb braid and at least 400 ft of it if we had it at the time. Usually do. I buy the 3000yard spools of 250 and they will last a few years. Alot of the time were fishing deep. With 20s. Which I'm sure all of those things has something to do with it. If your not loosing balls your breaking spools. Least I figured out how to keep my balls intact lol

Still think the line tie up location on the spool and the no stretch is the real reason.

I started doing a few wraps of duct tape a couple years back and haven't had a badly warped spool since. I run 450 feet of braid.
Maybe if you fished somewhere other than bowen and the rain city trough then you would start busting spools lol

Last edited:
I fish entrance with the best of them. I even fished Coal this year! Now that's the real reason @Stizzla loses balls. That place is a nightmare.

Just busting your balls 😂

My next downriggers will be gurdy cutoffs custom mounted with straight gangen lol. 50 lb balls. Or maybe I'm hoping the wrap job I want to do will actually solve it. We will see

Hmm
- So when we put braid on a fishing reel we wrap the spool with tape or we leave a few wraps of mono on the spool as mono doesn’t slip. We know braid straight onto a slippery spool often allows the whole spool of braid to slip.
- On a Scotty we tie to the hole on the top of the spool so it makes sense that when the pressure comes on ALL the braid will slip until pressure goes onto that knot. As @ship happens said it usually cracks in the same spot likley near that area where it is tied.
- @Rain City has been wrapping his spool with tape just like you would wrap a fishing reel, that stops the braid from slipping so no undue pressure on one area of the spool where it is tied on.
- these Scotty’s were originally designed for wire that has no stretch and doesn’t slip. We put slippery braid on that does slip and we don’t line the spool with tape and suddenly there is a lot of pressure on that initial knot.
- braid does have a little stretch but I think most of the problem comes back the slipping, not the stretch or the extra 100’ braid loaded.

-So I am going to wrap my 2 new spools 3 times with tape and I think that will be the answer. Thanks Guys 👍🏻

I have a busted spool on my desk at the shop. I'll take a picture tomorrow and upload it. It's where is always breaks for us.

Back