Downrigger counter only reads going up

Rain City

Crew Member
Anyone ever have this happen? I have spare to throw on tomorrow just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

I just had one go funny. When I dropped down it was reading 35 ft. But I new it was deeper. When I brought it up the counter read -25. Tried it a couple of times and it did the same. Switched it out for a new one. Talked to Scotty, gave them the number off it. No warranty :( that’s the second one this season

They do wear out. Had to replace one a few days ago. Dropping your cannon ball really fast all the time seems to be hard on them.
how fast are we talking ? I’ve only ever had 1 counter fail it was over tightened and cracked and Scotty sent me 2 new ones no charge so I had a spare. I can see the battery dieing forsure. Is Scotty doing things overseas now as there seems to be more failures in rod holders as well.

how fast are we talking ? I’ve only ever had 1 counter fail it was over tightened and cracked and Scotty sent me 2 new ones no charge so I had a spare. I can see the battery dieing forsure. Is Scotty doing things overseas now as there seems to be more failures in rod holders as well.
It fixed itself the next day

All Scotty plastic is in house
Counters may be from a third party they usto be not sure now

Scotty is pretty good on quality. Canadian made. I called the center on Sydney 2 or 3 times and each time it was like I mattered and I was never on hold. Are you the original owner of that downrigger? No. Im honest. Great company canadian and an fantastic product. I had to replace two counters from 20+ year old downriggers. I got a blue counter and a green one for the manual. So what if Im paying $60-70 its going to good people.

To replace the base of my pre 2000 depthpower is only $120 plus I get a new 1 1/4" boom. Just the best support going almost unheard of.

Back