Aluminum boat and cuddy/v-birth condensation fix?

AndrewH

I have slept on the boat quite a bit and need to try and solve the condensation inside the cuddy. Anyone have any experience?

I had a canopy on my old truck with a fabric liner that prevented condensation when sleeping in the bed...

Thoughts?

I have slept on the boat quite a bit and need to try and solve the condensation inside the cuddy. Anyone have any experience?

I had a canopy on my old truck with a fabric liner that prevented condensation when sleeping in the bed...

Thoughts?
My buddy insulated and carpeted his. Still gets some. Ventilation is key.

If you sleep in a small, poorly insulated space, your breathing creates
lots of condensation. As R.C. notes, get rid of it with insulation and ventilation.

OK, I'll carpet the bare Al on the ceiling perimeter and then do a liner for the center section where I have 1x1 running across.

Now the next question, what type of carpeting and how do I get it to stick successfully? Just a spray glue?

OK, I'll carpet the bare Al on the ceiling perimeter and then do a liner for the center section where I have 1x1 running across.

Now the next question, what type of carpeting and how do I get it to stick successfully? Just a spray glue?
Same. Wondering what works to keep the condensation down. What’s working so far is cranking up the diesel heater until it’s dry inside. Cant really do that every day though. I’ve got a 6’x200’ roll of grey hull liner/carpet out in the shop from campions auction but what to use for glue? I don’t want to have to refit it a bunch of times before finally tearing it off and leaving a mess behind. I’d rather put up with the condensation than that.

Last edited:
Same. Wondering what works to keep the condensation down. What’s working so far is cranking up the diesel heater until it’s dry inside
I think ventilation is #1. My fiberglass boat gets damp if it sits sealed up -- I've had mildew at times. Ever since I've had it under cover, I can leave windows cracked open, and its almost entirely better. I keep a heater on a thermostat set to 5C just to keep things from freezing, even though the water tank is pumped out. And I try to get the salt off it -- salt attracts moisture and keeps everything damp.

20210128_104646.jpg

I’ve never used it on aluminum, but I’ve always used 3M 77 spray adhesive when gluing headliners.

I know my builder used the rigid insulation and cut it to fit the entire cuddy including the roof. It was done almost like brick work and fit very tight. He also did the same thing with the cabin roof. In the cuddy he installed what he called "monkey fur" lol For the cabin roof it is a thin plactic type panel that you would find in RV's or bathrooms. Even without turning on my diesel heater the cuddy in this boat is always dry. My Striper would feel wetter but it was just fibreglass and no insulation or heat. Also the porta potty wasn't the final decision. It has a toilet with a macerator pump...holders.jpg

pic180.jpgPapa3.jpgpic211.jpgpic139.jpg

I think you need a backer for the carpet

Ventilation matters. Buy a little marine diesel heater. Under $500. Use it sleeping and when fishing. Add another battery if you will be using it on anchor, without the outboard running, day in and day out.

I know my builder used the rigid insulation and cut it to fit the entire cuddy including the roof. It was done almost like brick work and fit very tight. He also did the same thing with the cabin roof. In the cuddy he installed what he called "monkey fur" lol For the cabin roof it is a thin plactic type panel that you would find in RV's or bathrooms. Even without turning on my diesel heater the cuddy in this boat is always dry. My Striper would feel wetter but it was just fibreglass and no insulation or heat. Also the porta potty wasn't the final decision. It has a toilet with a macerator pump...View attachment 100535

View attachment 100531View attachment 100532View attachment 100533View attachment 100534
Is the monkey fur just a fabric?

I have a heater in there, the condensation is only an issue when I sleep in the boat.

In the cabin I used 1” foam between the ceiling stringers and then a 1/8” vinyl coated ply for a headliner. I will probably do something similar in the cuddy and just find some sort of carpet for the bare aluminum side areas.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 37
Is the monkey fur just a fabric?

I have a heater in there, the condensation is only an issue when I sleep in the boat.

In the cabin I used 1” foam between the ceiling stringers and then a 1/8” vinyl coated ply for a headliner. I will probably do something similar in the cuddy and just find some sort of carpet for the bare aluminum side areas.

It's sort of between a fuzzy fabric or maybe a carpet without much of a backing. I can reach out to the builder and ask if you want.

Robert from JaxonCraft said that its called hull liner and is available from any upholstery place that does boats. He said if you are in the valley try Excellence in Upholstery and ask for Mona....

That's what used to be called trunk liner. It's not backed and it's supposed to be mold resistant because it's all plastic basically. Can get it in rolls up to 50 inch wide. Talk to the car audio guys. It's the same stuff they use to wrap speaker boxes

I'd steer clear of carpet or fuzz. It holds millions of mildew spores waiting to hatch and it's difficult to clean. It's insulation value is negligible. Also, unhealthy for your respiratory system. "Mold resistant" is another chemical to breathe in a small space.

Flexible, closed cell foam is easy to cut, fit and contour. Heavy paper patterns help. Glue carefully in place with 3M spray adhesive on both surfaces. Then cover with a light color upholstery vinyl, glued in. If you install a few battens, the same thickness as the foam, at the contour changes, you have easy lines to splice the vinyl over. Rough up the aluminum below, use PL Premium glue, wedge battens in place and let set overnight. When cutting the vinyl panels, go at least 2" bigger all around. Trim later. Overlap vinyl edges at the battens, cut through both vinyl panels with a knife and straight edge. You can then trim the joint with piping or a decorative batten overtop. While you're at it, install an opening hatch or vent.

Looks bright, sharp, easy to clean and no condensation!

Last edited:
That's what used to be called trunk liner. It's not backed and it's supposed to be mold resistant because it's all plastic basically. Can get it in rolls up to 50 inch wide. Talk to the car audio guys. It's the same stuff they use to wrap speaker boxes
I got mine direct from campion. It’s marked hull liner right on the manufactures label.IMG_7651.jpeg

Back