Double eagle question

islander55

Im in the middle of a pickle on what size of four stroke to put on my 16.5 double eagle. Im hearing anywhere from a 60hp to a 115hp four stroke
Any advice is much needed
Thank you

Attachments

• 20200811_124041.jpg
    20200811_124041.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 51
Your 166 is 16’ long. I suggest 60 as an absolute minimum but 70-90 is the sweet spot.
Congratulations :)

Last edited:
Im in the middle of a pickle on what size of four stroke to put on my 16.5 double eagle. Im hearing anywhere from a 60hp to a 115hp four stroke
Any advice is much needed
Thank you
What was the performance of your 90 hp that is shown in the picture. I know it’s a 2 stroke, which is lighter and more torque getting out of the hole, but it would be a good starting point. I would think a 115 would be more than you would need on that boat. But it would go fast for sure.

Oly

I would say a 90hp would be max, my only concern would be weight. your looking at about 350lbs/70hp-400/115hp for a 4 stroke vs about 250lbs for that motor you have now.

Last edited:
I repowered a 17’ 6” boat with a newer Yamaha 90 four stroke. The old 2 stroke motor and the new motor were within one pound of each other. The new Yamaha 4 strokes power head sits farther back over the tilt tube than the old 2 stroke engine. Effectively putting more weight out side the boat and further back from the transom. Result was a boat that was a little stern heavy even though engines weighed the same. I was able to correct the porpoising that was the result by moving weight around inside, but that boat was never quite the same as with the original engine. If your dead set on a Yamaha, look for 70hp and you’ll save around 100lbs.

I just bought the same boat 166 de. It has a 70 2 stroke. Was looking around and sherwood marine has a new one with a 90hp. So I think that's what I'll go with. I bring a lot of gear and the snacks for the kids really weigh it down.

2xxeagle16 has the same boat with a f90 yamaha and 8hp high thrust kicker. 90 pushes it along plenty fast. 2 guys working out back in rough seas will see some water come in through the control bellows in the splash well under certain conditions.

In my mind a yam 90 is right at the maximum for weight for the main at the stern on this particular hull.

There’s a deal!

Back