Docks we have slept at (not on)

Bill 310

Crew Member
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where newbs like me, or people who just want to get out on the boat for a night or two and tie up somewhere, poke around and then head back home can share their experiences.

Almost a year from this original post I wanted to add in this post from Pescador.

Like real estate we all know it's Location, Location, Location.

A Chart Shot, a GPS Waypoint, a link to the dock anything to make the dock both identifiable and easy to find is a great help to folks who want to go there.

1687376291613.png

Nanaimo Harbour

We have spent 2 nights at the Port. The washrooms are spotless, ( (separate security keyed access to designated marina washroom, the Wharfinger staff are great. You pass the fuel dock on the way in and out.

Along with all the nice little restaurants withing walking distance , there is a great little Mexican place on the dock. Excellent Seafood Tacos. We liked it so much we didn't try the Fish and Chips shop also on the dock.

1658241262499.png

Last edited:
Pender Harbour Marine Resort

We just spent two nights there. The docking availability is from what we learned kind of unique.

When regular moorage clients are away on their boats , the Resort will rent out their spot and the Resort and the annual moorage client share the revenue (70 % Resort 30% to moorage client) Quiet night time hours.

It was super friendly, clean washrooms and showers. Swimming pool and the rental cabins look great so it might be a nice family place to meet up with the folks who want to rent a cabin and you could do some cruising and fishing with the family.

Not a lot of places to eat nearby John Henry's has live music and the Painted Boat Resort is fancy, we had reservations but the dinner docking got messed up.

No Uber or Taxi service that we could find.

1658242298348.png

Great thread.

Poets Cove on Pender Island is great. 2 pools in the summer, one for adults I think, pub restaurant in the summer and I think live music on weekends? Heated pool and hot tub in the winter. Walking is a little steep and roads narrow, there are hiking trails close by if I remember. Taxi now available it looks like https://lightningtaxi.ca/

Beaumont - Gulf Islands National Park Reserve is right there so having a dingy is nice idea. Long weekends arrive early to find and anchorage it gets pretty packed.

Great thread! I have a bunch I can add (I could write a book)....here are just our family's favourites:

Vancouver Area
Steveston Fisherman's Wharf 49.123206, -123.183945 - inexpensive (or free if you show up after 9pm and leave by around 7am or stay less than 3 hours) and electrical & water hookups. Great restaurants, shops. A little noisy in the morning with the whale-watching boats but one of my favourites. Shady Island restaurant is incredible - great food, great service, great prices, great patio & great views.
North Van/Lonsdale Quay - there are 3 different docks we have tied up to and never paid, never been questioned. Pier 7 - 49.309045, -123.080067. The Quay 49.309912, -123.081580. Waterfront Park Dock - 49.311045, -123.085894. All stores & restaurants nearby.
Coal Harbour City of Vancouver Dock 49.290728, -123.120752 - It might be open, it might not (damaged a couple years ago). City workers may tell you no overnight stays....they might not. You never know with the CoV, but it's been a good place to tie up to in the past. A little noisy. No utilities, but groceries, liquor and ice a short walk away and the gas barge right next to you.
Pitt River/Gillnetter Pub - Free - first come, first serve. No services/water/electric. Decent Pub. Shell Gas station a short walk away. Can get a little bouncy from the tug traffic going by at night. 49.233873, -122.766089
Indian Arm - Burrard Inlet Granite Falls 49.451173, -122.862739. Technically a dinghy dock, too busy in the summer to tie up to during the day but possible to tie up from dusk-to-dawn on a first-come-first-serve basis. No cost. Stern tie and anchoring 50-100 meters north of the dock. A must-see local adventure.
Pitt Lake - North End working dock 49.542458, -122.595005 - Very limited spots available if any....raft up to other boats if you need to. Good anchorage nearby. Wilderness location - no services, stores, etc. Very old, rickety dock but a great free place to tie up to if you've been fishing the river or if the lake blows up unexpectedly. We bring our bikes and go to the Pitt River Hot Springs 22kms-each-way. Be prepared for extreme back-country conditions & wildlife encounters with bears/cougars/elk.
Harrison Lake, Long Island Bay 49.480157, -121.836381. Free. No stores or services. Bring your prawn traps and set them shallow along the sides anywhere near logs or debris baited with hotdogs for the crawfish. The warmest water on Harrison Lake for swimming and well protected in all weather. Great hikes. Decent outhouses. Nice half-way point on the lake for exploration. Plenty of wilderness campspots nearby. First come-first serve.

Gulf Islands (South to North)
Saturna - Winter Cove 48.809597, -123.190296 - Free. Busy in the summer and used mostly as a dinghy dock. No electric or water, stores or fuel. Nice walk & park nearby. Great washrooms. Site of the annual Canada Day Lamb Bake BBQ. First come first serve.
Saturna - Lyall Harbour Public Dock 48.798150, -123.200281. Free (*I think...I've never paid). Gas available if you go into the bike store, and carry down their jerry cans. No electrical or water. Decent but expensive pub and offsales. First come first serve.
South Pender Island - Port Browning Marina 48.776928, -123.272494 - Great pub & excellent outdoor swimming pool. Showers, laundry, Ice. Electrical and limited water at the dock. Decent rates. Groceries, coffee, liquor, restaurants, shopping and hardware a short walk away at Driftwood center. One of our almost-annual visits. Reservations recommended. Part of the Mill Bay Marine Group
Sidney - Port Sidney Marina 48.653902, -123.392469 - A little pricey but all services & stores available. Part of the Mill Bay Marine Group. Reservations recommended.
Portland Island - Royal Cove 48.734224, -123.370894 - Officially a dinghy dock in the summer but you can tie-up off season and stern tie & anchor just off the dock in peak season. No services/stores. Parks Canada managed. Excellent trails and great washrooms. Best outhouse and top-3 nicest beach in the Gulf Islands a short walk away at the Arbutus Point campgrounds. First come first serve.
North Pender Island - Otter Bay Marina 48.799746, -123.308904 Very nice clean marina - a little pricey but kids loved it. Great laundry, showers, hot tubs & swimming pools. Ice and minimal groceries available. Water & power at the docks. Beware if they put you in the shallowest fingers of hidden rocks & debris just below the water line. No easily accessible stores and services nearby.
Salt Spring - Fulford Harbour 48.768852, -123.450373 - Gov't dock. Cheap rates but no enforcement that I'm aware of. Some small stores and restaurants nearby. Open to waves & ferry wake. First come first serve
Salt Spring - Ganges Marina 48.856475, -123.498366 - All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Home to the semi-famous Saturday Market (there are smaller ones on Tuesdays, I think). The guys at OutSpokin' Bike Shop have excellent E-Bikes for rent at great prices if you want to check out the island (16+). Catch a cab to the top of Mount Maxwell for insane views. The nearby Oystercatcher patio is one of my favourite places on earth. Reservations recommended
Wallace Island - Connover Cove 48.936090, -123.543397 - Very small public dock, no services. Not sure if payment is expected. Shallow and limited anchorage nearby. Beautiful spot....definitely going back to explore.
Bowen Island - Snug Cove 49.378393, -123.331481 - Decent rates. All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Reservations recommended

Further North
Comox Valley Marina 49.670309, -124.932605 - Decent rates. All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Extremely friendly and helpful staff.
Quadra Island - Heriot Bay Marina 50.103579, -125.212821 Some electric & water at the docks. Showers & Laundry. Fantastic pub. Groceries, liquor & ice a short walk away. Nearby hardware store that delivers. Friendliest & most helpful locals I have met anywhere. Close access to some insane fishing.
Cortes Island - Mansons Landing Public Dock 50.071772, -124.983991 - Pretty sure it's free....no enforcement I'm aware of. Decent outhouse 200 meter walk up the street. No services. Stores, Liquor Ice and Hague Lake a 15 minute walk away.
Refuge Cove - West Redonda Island 50.123908, -124.840160 - Decent rates. Fuel, Water, Groceries, Liquor available at the dock, and a garbage drop-off barge nearby.
Lund 49.981823, -124.763717 - All stores/services. Nancy's bakery is a must. Decent rates. Gong-show in the summer. Reservations required.
Stillwater Bay Log Dump near Powell River 49.767987, -124.315420 - Absolutely nothing here except for some friendly guys and a safe harbour during a very unexpected and long-lasting severe squall with 30 knot southerlies with a huge ebb tide that turned the mouth of Jervis Inlet into hell itself. My kids and I are still appreciative for them letting us tie up to their tug dock that memorable evening. I still tremble thinking about that.
Egmont - Backeddy Pub & Marina 49.757734, -123.939119 - Decent rates. Excellent pub. Gas, showers, laundry, limited water & electrical available. Great stopping off point for Jervis Inlet & Princess Louisa Inlet. Reservations recommended.
Pender Harbour Hospital Bay Gov't Dock 49.631901, -124.031642. Gov't dock, limited water and power. Minimal rates with no enforcement. Right next to John Henry's that has fuel, groceries, ice, liquor, some supplies, decent restaurant and excellent ice cream. First-come-first serve.

Last edited:
Great thread! I have a bunch I can add (I could write a book)....here are just our family's favourites:

Vancouver Area
Steveston Fisherman's Wharf 49.123206, -123.183945 - inexpensive (or free if you show up after 9pm and leave by around 7am or stay less than 3 hours) and electrical & water hookups. Great restaurants, shops. A little noisy in the morning with the whale-watching boats but one of my favourites. Shady Island restaurant is incredible - great food, great service, great prices, great patio & great views.
North Van/Lonsdale Quay - there are 3 different docks we have tied up to and never paid, never been questioned. Pier 7 - 49.309045, -123.080067. The Quay 49.309912, -123.081580. Waterfront Park Dock - 49.311045, -123.085894. All stores & restaurants nearby.
Coal Harbour City of Vancouver Dock 49.290728, -123.120752 - It might be open, it might not (damaged a couple years ago). City workers may tell you no overnight stays....they might not. You never know with the CoV, but it's been a good place to tie up to in the past. A little noisy. No utilities, but groceries, liquor and ice a short walk away and the gas barge right next to you.
Pitt River/Gillnetter Pub - Free - first come, first serve. No services/water/electric. Decent Pub. Shell Gas station a short walk away. Can get a little bouncy from the tug traffic going by at night. 49.233873, -122.766089
Indian Arm - Burrard Inlet Granite Falls 49.451173, -122.862739. Technically a dinghy dock, too busy in the summer to tie up to during the day but possible to tie up from dusk-to-dawn on a first-come-first-serve basis. No cost. Stern tie and anchoring 50-100 meters north of the dock. A must-see local adventure.
Pitt Lake - North End working dock 49.542458, -122.595005 - Very limited spots available if any....raft up to other boats if you need to. Good anchorage nearby. Wilderness location - no services, stores, etc. Very old, rickety dock but a great free place to tie up to if you've been fishing the river or if the lake blows up unexpectedly. We bring our bikes and go to the Pitt River Hot Springs 22kms-each-way. Be prepared for extreme back-country conditions & wildlife encounters with bears/cougars/elk.
Harrison Lake, Long Island Bay 49.480157, -121.836381. Free. No stores or services. Bring your prawn traps and set them shallow along the sides anywhere near logs or debris baited with hotdogs for the crawfish. The warmest water on Harrison Lake for swimming and well protected in all weather. Great hikes. Decent outhouses. Nice half-way point on the lake for exploration. Plenty of wilderness campspots nearby. First come-first serve.

Gulf Islands (South to North)
Saturna - Winter Cove 48.809597, -123.190296 - Free. Busy in the summer and used mostly as a dinghy dock. No electric or water, stores or fuel. Nice walk & park nearby. Great washrooms. Site of the annual Canada Day Lamb Bake BBQ. First come first serve.
Saturna - Lyall Harbour Public Dock 48.798150, -123.200281. Free (*I think...I've never paid). Gas available if you go into the bike store, and carry down their jerry cans. No electrical or water. Decent but expensive pub and offsales. First come first serve.
South Pender Island - Port Browning Marina 48.776928, -123.272494 - Great pub & excellent outdoor swimming pool. Showers, laundry, Ice. Electrical and limited water at the dock. Decent rates. Groceries, coffee, liquor, restaurants, shopping and hardware a short walk away at Driftwood center. One of our almost-annual visits. Reservations recommended. Part of the Mill Bay Marine Group
Sidney - Port Sidney Marina 48.653902, -123.392469 - A little pricey but all services & stores available. Part of the Mill Bay Marine Group. Reservations recommended.
Portland Island - Royal Cove 48.734224, -123.370894 - Officially a dinghy dock in the summer but you can tie-up off season and stern tie & anchor just off the dock in peak season. No services/stores. Parks Canada managed. Excellent trails and great washrooms. Best outhouse and top-3 nicest beach in the Gulf Islands a short walk away at the Arbutus Point campgrounds. First come first serve.
North Pender Island - Otter Bay Marina 48.799746, -123.308904 Very nice clean marina - a little pricey but kids loved it. Great laundry, showers, hot tubs & swimming pools. Ice and minimal groceries available. Water & power at the docks. Beware if they put you in the shallowest fingers of hidden rocks & debris just below the water line. No easily accessible stores and services nearby.
Salt Spring - Fulford Harbour 48.768852, -123.450373 - Gov't dock. Cheap rates but no enforcement that I'm aware of. Some small stores and restaurants nearby. Open to waves & ferry wake. First come first serve
Salt Spring - Ganges Marina 48.856475, -123.498366 - All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Home to the semi-famous Saturday Market (there are smaller ones on Tuesdays, I think). The guys at OutSpokin' Bike Shop have excellent E-Bikes for rent at great prices if you want to check out the island (16+). Catch a cab to the top of Mount Maxwell for insane views. The nearby Oystercatcher patio is one of my favourite places on earth. Reservations recommended
Wallace Island - Connover Cove 48.936090, -123.543397 - Very small public dock, no services. Not sure if payment is expected. Shallow and limited anchorage nearby. Beautiful spot....definitely going back to explore.
Bowen Island - Snug Cove 49.378393, -123.331481 - Decent rates. All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Reservations recommended

Further North
Comox Valley Marina 49.670309, -124.932605 - Decent rates. All stores/shops/services/fuel/laundry/ice/showers, etc. Extremely friendly and helpful staff.
Quadra Island - Heriot Bay Marina 50.103579, -125.212821 Some electric & water at the docks. Showers & Laundry. Fantastic pub. Groceries, liquor & ice a short walk away. Nearby hardware store that delivers. Friendliest & most helpful locals I have met anywhere. Close access to some insane fishing.
Cortes Island - Mansons Landing Public Dock 50.071772, -124.983991 - Pretty sure it's free....no enforcement I'm aware of. Decent outhouse 200 meter walk up the street. No services. Stores, Liquor Ice and Hague Lake a 15 minute walk away.
Refuge Cove - West Redonda Island 50.123908, -124.840160 - Decent rates. Fuel, Water, Groceries, Liquor available at the dock, and a garbage drop-off barge nearby.
Lund 49.981823, -124.763717 - All stores/services. Nancy's bakery is a must. Decent rates. Gong-show in the summer. Reservations required.
Stillwater Bay Log Dump near Powell River 49.767987, -124.315420 - Absolutely nothing here except for some friendly guys and a safe harbour during a very unexpected and long-lasting severe squall with 30 knot southerlies with a huge ebb tide that turned the mouth of Jervis Inlet into hell itself. My kids and I are still appreciative for them letting us tie up to their tug dock that memorable evening. I still tremble thinking about that.
Egmont - Backeddy Pub & Marina 49.757734, -123.939119 - Decent rates. Excellent pub. Gas, showers, laundry, limited water & electrical available. Great stopping off point for Jervis Inlet & Princess Louisa Inlet. Reservations recommended.
Pender Harbour Hospital Bay Gov't Dock 49.631901, -124.031642. Gov't dock, limited water and power. Minimal rates with no enforcement. Right next to John Henry's that has fuel, groceries, ice, liquor, some supplies, decent restaurant and excellent ice cream. First-come-first serve.
This is great information! Thanks
We are doing our first week long cruise in the southern gulf islands in August.

This is great information! Thanks
We are doing our first week long cruise in the southern gulf islands in August.
I guess this thread is just for favourite docks. We should probably start another for favourite anchorages. Be sure to visit Tumbo & Cabbage Islands if you have kids & a dinghy. It's one of our favourite. Secure & quiet anchorages, mooring buoys, sandy beaches, tidal pools, great hikes, spectacular views & decent ling fishing nearby. We are so, so, so spoiled to have this endless playground so close to us.

I am always happy just to find a dock when doing the Gong Show Fish Patrol.

There is a partial dock, really sketchy, in Queen's Cove at the entrance to Port Eliza.
Glad we were only tied up for 5 hours or so. Really fast to the grounds in the morning.

In our recent Port Hardy tour, we tied up to the decrepit old net repair float between the breakwater barge and the Bear Cove Petro Can.
Again, very happy that the wind was low and just a short night tie up.
The Bull Harbour dock, there is also a pier with a dock, was really nice, four boats tied up and no fear of breaking apart. Pure luxury!

I guess this thread is just for favourite docks. We should probably start another for favourite anchorages. Be sure to visit Tumbo & Cabbage Islands if you have kids & a dinghy. It's one of our favourite. Secure & quiet anchorages, mooring buoys, sandy beaches, tidal pools, great hikes, spectacular views & decent ling fishing nearby. We are so, so, so spoiled to have this endless playground so close to us.

Great idea!

Please set up a new thread on favourite anchorages

That would be fantastic

Dawson's Landing, Rivers Inlet. Was lucky enough to get up there for a trip this past June. Massive dock with room for smaller fishing boats and bigger cruisers. The owners have a fully stocked general store with everything you could ever need. Cabins are right on the dock.

During our stay we saw plenty of action including the Grumman goose landing and some helicopter activity for some fallers staying at Dawson's. Great spot!

Attachments

• 20220625_212315.jpg
    20220625_212315.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220624_221257.jpg
    20220624_221257.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 104
Dawson's Landing, Rivers Inlet. Was lucky enough to get up there for a trip this past June. Massive dock with room for smaller fishing boats and bigger cruisers. The owners have a fully stocked general store with everything you could ever need. Cabins are right on the dock.

During our stay we saw plenty of action including the Grumman goose landing and some helicopter activity for some fallers staying at Dawson's. Great spot!
Where did you put in? That's on our bucket list along with Ocean Falls, Bella Bella, etc.

There is a partial dock, really sketchy, in Queen's Cove at the entrance to Port Eliza.
Glad we were only tied up for 5 hours or so. Really fast to the grounds in the morning.
Stayed at that dock many times

Echo bay and the Old Pierre's (Now Echo Bay Marina & Lodge at Ḵ̓wax̱wa̱lawadi Village).

When it was Pierre's he hosted a pig roast twice a month and we would load the boat up and run from McNeill for dinner. Amazing food, fun and a great trip. Is also a great place to explore the Broughtons and surrounding area.

Sullivan Bay Marina is another good place

Cheers

SS

great idea for a thread! lots of my favourite docks are already listed here but i'll try to update with some others soon. One other I'll add now is the dock at Wiah Point (between Naden Harbour and Masset). Great place to tie up for the night if you want first and last light fishing at Wiah Pt. No services whatsoever up there but nice place to get off your boat and stretch your legs.

Where did you put in? That's on our bucket list along with Ocean Falls, Bella Bella, etc.
Launched in Hardy, moored the boat and stayed the night at the Quarterdeck hotel. Took us about 2.5 hours to run up to Rivers. Very foggy on the run back though so took a little longer around 3 hours. I would add Hakai Pass to your list. Very picturesque up there. The fishing was quite slow in Rivers/Hakai in late June but the scenery and weather made up for it.

^ Love going to Princess Louisa. For those of us whose boats are day boats rather than cruising boats, the provincial park campsites there are lovely, and not all that heavily used. Easy walk from dock to campsites to haul up the camping gear, outhouse nearby. Extra mega bonus: no camping fees!

I am always happy just to find a dock when doing the Gong Show Fish Patrol.

In our recent Port Hardy tour, we tied up to the decrepit old net repair float between the breakwater barge and the Bear Cove Petro Can.
Again, very happy that the wind was low and just a short night tie up.
The Bull Harbour dock, there is also a pier with a dock, was really nice, four boats tied up and no fear of breaking apart. Pure luxury!
If its the same dock in Port Eliza as im talking about, that was my families dock when they leased the land for logging for roughly 20 years. Since then a storm moved it over and rotated it, and people have since vandalized it and had bombfires on the middle of it. Im there every year, last year there was 5 garbage bags of trash left there it was absolutely disgusting. That dock was one of the best memories I had with my grandfather before he passed, and im afraid it wont be there much longer.

Attachments

• 20200814_155238.jpg
    20200814_155238.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 94
great idea for a thread! lots of my favourite docks are already listed here but i'll try to update with some others soon. One other I'll add now is the dock at Wiah Point (between Naden Harbour and Masset). Great place to tie up for the night if you want first and last light fishing at Wiah Pt. No services whatsoever up there but nice place to get off your boat and stretch your legs.
Hey heading to Masset with the boat this July (only 24’ taking the ferry) trying to find some places around Masset. Would you have anymore details on location. Charts are on order but not here yet! seems no real marina to stay at in Masset, just the public dock from what I understand

Hey heading to Masset with the boat this July (only 24’ taking the ferry) trying to find some places around Masset. Would you have anymore details on location. Charts are on order but not here yet! seems no real marina to stay at in Masset, just the public dock from what I understand
Beware the tides there, especially the ebb tide when heading out the inlet

Back