Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Hee hee, I'm not one to talk. I'll confess to having switched from electric range to gas so I could free up the 40A 240V circuit that I need for level 2 EV charging (when those #$%ers at Ford get around to building my truck). I'd been wanting a gas stove for years anyway, but the advent of an EV was what triggered the switch. So I got a shiny new kitchen toy and saved tens of thousands by not tearing up and re-laying driveway, sidewalk and retaining walls to provide access for larger conduits and upsized electrical service.

Hee hee, I'm not one to talk. I'll confess to having switched from electric range to gas so I could free up the 40A 240V circuit that I need for level 2 EV charging (when those #$%ers at Ford get around to building my truck). I'd been wanting a gas stove for years anyway, but the advent of an EV was what triggered the switch. So I got a shiny new kitchen toy and saved tens of thousands by not tearing up and re-laying driveway, sidewalk and retaining walls to provide access for larger conduits and upsized electrical service.
I have no idea why I didn’t think of that. My panel is full and I thought I was going to have to upgrade the panel and service to get a charger. And I want a gas oven anyways

the company i work for in out section have had 30 trucks on order for the last 2 years a few have trickeled in.

They cancelled 10 of them and ordered 10 tesla pickup trucks. ident think we would be changing the fleet to eclectic for a long time but guess they are dippin there feet in since its impossible to get other trucks

cybertrucks

Edit: omg i just looked up what the look like, for the love of god

Last edited:
I have no idea why I didn’t think of that. My panel is full and I thought I was going to have to upgrade the panel and service to get a charger. And I want a gas oven anyways

I was going to do that in my home as well, replace with gas. Had a gas guy come over and he said the top cabinets and fan were to low and a few other things. So that plan got put on hold.

1655963246929.gif

There is a huge push right now to get people off of natural gas and onto electric so depending where you live I would get on it quick. I’m hearing city of Vancouver is banning or soon to be banning the use of natural gas. This move and the push to go to electric vehicles happening at the same time is not going to work out well.

So funny how ten years ago everything was about conserving electricity. Now it’s balls to the wall electric everything. There’s a newish development on Burke mountain that made every appliance low draw, so they didn’t put in a huge service to the community. They weren’t banking on every second house having a Tesla that needs charging so that 10 year old grid needs to be re worked

So funny how ten years ago everything was about conserving electricity. Now it’s balls to the wall electric everything. There’s a newish development on Burke mountain that made every appliance low draw, so they didn’t put in a huge service to the community. They weren’t banking on every second house having a Tesla that needs charging so that 10 year old grid needs to be re worked
Canada is so woefully ill prepared for mass vehicle electrification. I’m not against EVs, but until the proper infrastructure is in place, there’s going to be a lot of painful moments.

There is a huge push right now to get people off of natural gas and onto electric so depending where you live I would get on it quick. I’m hearing city of Vancouver is banning or soon to be banning the use of natural gas. This move and the push to go to electric vehicles happening at the same time is not going to work out well.
It will be wider spread than just Vancouver. Plenty of signals from govt that BC building code will introduce GHG usage caps for new homes in the next 2-3 years.

If you're trying to free up service capacity for EV charging, there are load sharing devices available. They can prioritize one circuit over another; eg, when you want to run your clothes dryer, EV charging is suspended until the dryer cycle ends.

It will be wider spread than just Vancouver. Plenty of signals from govt that BC building code will introduce GHG usage caps for new homes in the next 2-3 years.
I should clarify that a BCBC update can't place a blanket ban on fossil fuel use in new homes. That would be outside its purview and open to legal challenge. The direction they'll go is to place a sufficiently severe cap on total home consumption that would in most cases prevent its use for primary heating. Lower draw/intermittent use appliances such as kitchen stoves and fireplaces would probably fit inside the limits. Hot water heating by gas is in between, will depend on how severe the caps are. Might be that designers would end up having to choose between either gas HWT and no other gas appliances. Smaller homes achieving Step 4 or 5 might be efficient enough that their heating demands from gas could fit within the cap, depends how low the cap is set.

One has to wonder what the price of gas to BC consumers will look like in 5 years and beyond when the LNG pipeline and terminal project is complete and a substantial portion of our gas production is being exported. Fortis is starting to push its Renewable Natural Gas program, but so far RNG is less than 5% of delivered volume. Gas is completely in the hands of private industry, so its current pricing is far from guaranteed and surely subject to upward pressure as supply starts leaving our shores.

An air source heat pump is the best choice for most homeowners going forward. Gas furnace doesn't provide AC, heat pump does. Adding separate AC costs more both in upfront purchase and operations over the years. In a warming climate, our needs for AC are increasing. Timely thought on the one year anniversary of the heat dome week.

I should clarify that a BCBC update can't place a blanket ban on fossil fuel use in new homes. That would be outside its purview and open to legal challenge. The direction they'll go is to place a sufficiently severe cap on total home consumption that would in most cases prevent its use for primary heating. Lower draw/intermittent use appliances such as kitchen stoves and fireplaces would probably fit inside the limits. Hot water heating by gas is in between, will depend on how severe the caps are. Might be that designers would end up having to choose between either gas HWT and no other gas appliances. Smaller homes achieving Step 4 or 5 might be efficient enough that their heating demands from gas could fit within the cap, depends how low the cap is set.

One has to wonder what the price of gas to BC consumers will look like in 5 years and beyond when the LNG pipeline and terminal project is complete and a substantial portion of our gas production is being exported. Fortis is starting to push its Renewable Natural Gas program, but so far RNG is less than 5% of delivered volume. Gas is completely in the hands of private industry, so its current pricing is far from guaranteed and surely subject to upward pressure as supply starts leaving our shores.

An air source heat pump is the best choice for most homeowners going forward. Gas furnace doesn't provide AC, heat pump does. Adding separate AC costs more both in upfront purchase and operations over the years. In a warming climate, our needs for AC are increasing. Timely thought on the one year anniversary of the heat dome week.
Installing 17.5kw solar array, 26kw battery backup. House is 100% electric, air to water heat pump provides house heating and cooling as well as domestic hot water. On an annual basis we should be close to providing 100% of our energy needs from solar. When retirement comes there will be no heating, cooling, lighting or vehicle fuel bills.

With our 225 amp panel we were only able to install a single 40 amp vehicle charger, should work for our needs.

The Ford Lightning: Getting that thing to run your house, as they advertise, requires a special 80 amp charger with a built in inverter, as well as some major panel upgrades. There is no way we could install it on our panel, we would need 300 or 400 amp service.

You also need to get the extended range battery on the Lightning to power a home. Plus transfer switch and other home panel mods as you mention. I can see this feature being attractive to a big swath of the US where power outages due to storms, tornadoes and hurricanes are not uncommon, although I wonder how many will actually do the work to make this functional. Couldn't see much point in it for my use case, can't remember the last time we had a power outage longer than an hour in Penticton.

The supplied 32A level 2 charger seems adequate for the 98 kWh SR battery in the Lightning. On all but a few days a year I could be plugged in at home 6 pm to 6 am. At average 80 km driven on work days, wouldn't need to plug in every day.

the company i work for in out section have had 30 trucks on order for the last 2 years a few have trickeled in.

They cancelled 10 of them and ordered 10 tesla pickup trucks. ident think we would be changing the fleet to eclectic for a long time but guess they are dippin there feet in since its impossible to get other trucks

cybertrucks

Edit: omg i just looked up what the look like, for the love of god
Funny thing about what they look like, I sit inside so the outside is just "chick bait".
Ya it is nice to own the Ferrari, a buddy of mine had a kit car one, lots of admirers and he had to keep saying "this isn't what you think it is", it was really just a mid engine Fiero kit car.

It is the battery life that is the trick, if you look up comparisons the Cyber truck is often not selected as a comparison.
Without ever seeing one go it apparently will top all others with performance and battery life

All electric vehicle will pull a great deal of weight it is just for how long, Ford shows pulling immense weight but in the fine print it say 20 min, Cyber 4 hours. Charging times are different as well. And range.

I ordered two, still have them. I will likely sell one though.

I think these trucks will definitely have their place and I am excited about what the future holds. But, we're not there yet in terms of having electric trucks perform to our current expectations of gas and diesel. We may need to all adjust our expectations, or we'll likely be forced to.

When we bought our house it had an electric furnace with in floor radiant heat (basement), hot water rads (main floor) and electric baseboard (top floor).

It also had a cheap *ss gas fireplace and les than stellar electric appliances

Where we live (North Vancouver) we get frequent power outages (less outages now 8 years later) but the generator runs 5 or 6 times a year and we have run a lot of crock pots for the neighbourhood families over the years.

We tore out the electric furnace and hot water tank, replaced the lousy gas fireplace with an efficient one and bought a semi commercial stove with an electric oven and a gas cooktop.

We run a gas hot tub heater and have a gas line for BBQ and firepit.

When we did the rewiring for the generator we put in 30 Amp circuits inside the single car garage and outside for future electric car charging.

Our Hydro Bill fell by70% and our gas bill went up about 30% (only a gas Fireplace before).

We are still paying far less than the prior owner paid for power and heat. With Gas we are far ahead cost wise

I had tried to buy a Mach -E but even ordering one became a headache, now they seem to have some real QC problems.

My wife's car is a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with 90,000 K on it and changing it to electric makes no sense. I have done the calculations on the little she drives and if we drive her car till we are 80 an electric car would be just at the break even point. Plus we can afford to service and maintain our cars. If she sold hers, it would be a polluting monster in 3-4 years.

The same for my car it is fine, drinks gas a bit but I hardly drive besides to work 25 K round trip and I commute more on my motorcycle these days.

The push for more hydro use and less Natural gas use will allow the cost of electricity to increase based on demand.

I also expect that our neighbourhood will go in a big land assembly in 10-15 years and turn into a series of towers and townhomes.

I put a 10kW solar system on my house roof and despite being situated in a fairly shady location (no direct sunlight after 6pm in the summer) I net produce electricity from about April to Sept and build up Hydro credit to be used during the winter when I net consume. I have everything electric in the house and a single outlet heat pump for the main floor living area. Over the year I am able to produce about 50% of all electricity consumed on my property. The investment was about $15k plus a new panel. I am surprised that not more people use their roof space potential. A sunnier location than mine could produce even more.

I know this article isn’t about Rivian but is part of my concern

When we bought our house it had an electric furnace with in floor radiant heat (basement), hot water rads (main floor) and electric baseboard (top floor).

It also had a cheap *ss gas fireplace and les than stellar electric appliances

Where we live (North Vancouver) we get frequent power outages (less outages now 8 years later) but the generator runs 5 or 6 times a year and we have run a lot of crock pots for the neighbourhood families over the years.

We tore out the electric furnace and hot water tank, replaced the lousy gas fireplace with an efficient one and bought a semi commercial stove with an electric oven and a gas cooktop.

We run a gas hot tub heater and have a gas line for BBQ and firepit.

When we did the rewiring for the generator we put in 30 Amp circuits inside the single car garage and outside for future electric car charging.

Our Hydro Bill fell by70% and our gas bill went up about 30% (only a gas Fireplace before).

We are still paying far less than the prior owner paid for power and heat. With Gas we are far ahead cost wise

I had tried to buy a Mach -E but even ordering one became a headache, now they seem to have some real QC problems.

My wife's car is a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with 90,000 K on it and changing it to electric makes no sense. I have done the calculations on the little she drives and if we drive her car till we are 80 an electric car would be just at the break even point. Plus we can afford to service and maintain our cars. If she sold hers, it would be a polluting monster in 3-4 years.

The same for my car it is fine, drinks gas a bit but I hardly drive besides to work 25 K round trip and I commute more on my motorcycle these days.

The push for more hydro use and less Natural gas use will allow the cost of electricity to increase based on demand.

I also expect that our neighbourhood will go in a big land assembly in 10-15 years and turn into a series of towers and townhomes.
Three different heat sources! I'm guessing multiple renovations?

General basics on electric and gas heat in terms of energy potential turned into heat:
- gas furnace: 85-90% efficient
- condensing gas furnace: 94-95% efficient (ie, "high efficiency furnace")
- electric resistance heating: 98-100% efficient (baseboard, in-floor radiant mat, electric kettle)
- electric air source heat pump: 300-400% efficient (because it doesn't directly create heat, it moves heat from one place to another)
- natural gas hot water tank: 50% efficient
- natural gas instant water heater: 85% efficient
- electric immersed element hot water tank: 95% efficient
- solar hot water heater (vacuum tube): 180% efficient
- electric heat pump water heater: 350% efficient

So the simple plan for new homes is go with heat pumps for water and space heating, an efficient envelope with best quality windows and doors. No brainer in BC where we are already 95% renewable energy and prices are directly controlled by utilities commission. Yes there will be some increases as time goes on, but no reasonable person would argue that they'll be more predatory than the oil and gas industry.

Even in Alberta and Sask where they're under 40% power from non FF sources, electric heat pump HVAC and HWT still offers lower carbon footprint over their lifetime than FF fixtures. Plus as those grids gradually de-carbonize, the equation gets better. But natural gas appliances will be full GHG emitters forever. Even RNG is barely better, might be renewable but still produces GHG.

Renovation of existing homes is another story. Many more restrictions and existing conditions, and of course it burns to decommission working furnaces and HWTs in favour of new. For many, restricted electrical service will present significant upgrade costs even before new mechanical units are purchased. That was the case for me, a solid 20K when I estimated it a year ago, plus a lot of disruption with driveways, lawns and retaining walls dug up to bring in new conduit. Compromises have to be made.

electric air source hot water heat pump: 200-250% efficient

Back