Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Yesterday I plunked down $100 to reserve an F150 Lightning when they release in 2022. Select options and sign documents in the fall, delivery next spring.
Send me a message when they are released and you are ready to buy. My son in law to be is a salesman at Ford and does fleet sales as well etc. Might be able to get you a few bucks off seeing that you are a fellow fisherman and he can always use more sales leads. :)

Send me a message when they are released and you are ready to buy. My son in law to be is a salesman at Ford and does fleet sales as well etc. Might be able to get you a few bucks off seeing that you are a fellow fisherman and he can always use more sales leads. :)
Thanks, nice offer, although I suspect there will be very little chance to buy at anything but MSRP on this one. Might even be some bidding on scarce units when they do hit the road, although I'm not reserving one as a speculative move. Would have liked to buy something new this winter, but spring is OK. Time to move the Silverado I drive now into the company fleet and get myself something shiny.

Thanks, nice offer, although I suspect there will be very little chance to buy at anything but MSRP on this one. Might even be some bidding on scarce units when they do hit the road, although I'm not reserving one as a speculative move. Would have liked to buy something new this winter, but spring is OK. Time to move the Silverado I drive now into the company fleet and get myself something shiny.

ZERO EV Truck companies have been on time for delivery so don't hold your breath for Ford meeting their target either. Happy to be disappointed however.

I'm 150,000th-ish in line for the Cyber Truck. Assuming it's price doesn't balloon out of control of course. If its over 100k as someone noted earlier, I'll be back to gas. :confused:

The one thing I really like about the Cyber Truck, that I haven't seen on any other EV car yet, is the charging cells on the box cover. It's not much mind you, something like 30km a day, but to self charge.... that's a game changer imo.

we a very close but it does seem like we are still 10 years out to have a good functioning EV market. The demand is there it seems like really supply side is lacking.

we a very close but it does seem like we are still 10 years out to have a good functioning EV market. The demand is there it seems like really supply side is lacking.
Trucks have to start somewhere. They were a long time getting going, but these days Tesla certainly has a lot of vehicles on the road in my area. Either that or the two guys that own them do a LOT of driving.

Anyway I'm ready for an electric truck. Very rare on a work day for me to exceed 200 km, but pretty normal for it to be north of 100 km. Range for standard F150 battery is claimed to be 370 km. Even discounting the usual blue sky sales fluff factor, I should be comfortably within that on a daily basis. Up to Apex about 30 days during ski season, but even with the steep climb it's still only 75 km round trip and the battery will recharge substantially on the way down.

I average 24,000 km a year but only 15% of this would be trips of duration at or above that 300-ish km. Twice a year to the coast and once up north for steelhead. Can't be that hard to build in a couple of stops on those drives to combine charging with coffee/pee/meal breaks. Good sense says we are supposed to stop and walk around occasionally to prevent behind the wheel snoozies.

I'm trusting that Ford has done its homework on this one, and buying because it's the first mainline maker to release a full size truck with EV powertrain. Funny because four out of the last five work vehicles I've bought have been GM products. Wouldn't call myself a diehard GM guy, but it seemed like every time I needed a truck, they had the best vehicle/price combination for me. Got one Dodge in the fleet, last Ford was sold at least a decade ago. I had an F150 rental a year back while my Chev was in the body shop and loved it, hopefully the EV is as good.

Up to Apex about 30 days during ski season, but even with the steep climb it's still only 75 km round trip and the battery will recharge substantially on the way down.
It will be interesting to see how much impact sub zero temps will have on range. In Long Way Up, the cold temps in Patagonia had a significant impact on the range of the Harley electric bikes and Rivian trucks, much more than was anticipated.

Anecdotal only, but both my Tesla 3 owning friends report about 10% range loss in winter. Mind you that is south Okanagan "winter." Neither of them are skiers. Apex would be more of a test but it still doesn't get cold like Lake Louise and the like. Besides, if we are having a cold spell, I usually forgo skiing and spend the weekend tinkering in the shop with the wood stove rocking.

With regenerative braking, the battery will actually see increased charge level on long descents. Whether there is significant loss of charge over the course of a ski day remains to be seen. Funny, I'm normally one for waiting a year or two for a new revision to reveal its pluses and minuses before buying. This time I'm stepping off into the unknown.

Anecdotal only, but both my Tesla 3 owning friends report about 10% range loss in winter. Mind you that is south Okanagan "winter." Neither of them are skiers. Apex would be more of a test but it still doesn't get cold like Lake Louise and the like. Besides, if we are having a cold spell, I usually forgo skiing and spend the weekend tinkering in the shop with the wood stove rocking.

With regenerative braking, the battery will actually see increased charge level on long descents. Whether there is significant loss of charge over the course of a ski day remains to be seen. Funny, I'm normally one for waiting a year or two for a new revision to reveal its pluses and minuses before buying. This time I'm stepping off into the unknown.
Is any of the loss due to using their heater?

Surely there must be. AFAIK, EVs use some form of heat pump for heat and AC.

I'd argue there's a better chance with an EV in -40 than an ICE. In both situations the battery will be problematic. At least with an EV you can still move. If the ICE battery doesn't have enough cranking amps to turn the engine, not so much moving. In either case, both should be plugged in in -40 so perhaps a mute point. ;)

Here’s a good article on the impact of cold on range

Here’s a good article on the impact of cold on range

Good article. That's a drastic affect on range. EV's seem great for the city or warm climates, but are not practical for the other 95% of the country.
If the heater can drain the battery that much, imagine pulling a trailer. Any head wind & your stranded on the side of a highway. Unless there are some major advances in battery's they will have a limited market.

The next new vehicle purchase for nearly 70 per cent of Canadians will be an electric model: KPMG in Canada survey​

Infrastructure investment needed to accelerate adoption of EVs in Canada as concerns persist over battery life and range
TORONTO, Feb. 25, 2021 /CNW/ - Seven in 10 Canadians (68 per cent) who plan to buy a new vehicle within the next five years are likely to buy an electric vehicle (EV), either pure or hybrid, although the lack of a robust charging infrastructure, battery life and range and the purchase price remain persistent concerns, finds a new survey by KPMG in Canada.
"Canada's automotive industry is nearing the tipping point, with nearly 70 per cent of Canadians indicating that they're looking to buy an electric vehicle not in a decade's time but in the next five years," says Peter Hatges, Partner, National Sector Leader, Automotive, KPMG in Canada. "Our poll research illustrates huge consumer demand in Canada for EVs, putting the onus on manufacturers and governments alike to shift gears not only to meet the expected surge in EV sales but to invest heavily in the necessary infrastructure."
Key Survey Findings:
  • As many as 70 per cent of Canadians plan to buy a new vehicle within the next decade, of which over three in five (62 per cent) intend to make their purchase in the next one-to-five years.

• Of the 62 per cent of Canadians planning to buy a new vehicle in the next one-to-five years:

• 68 per cent are very likely or likely to purchase an EV, pure or hybrid

• 77 per cent in British Columbia and 75 per cent in Quebec say they are in the market for an EV. By comparison, fewer people in Alberta (54 per cent), the Prairies (48 per cent) or Atlantic Canada (55 per cent) in the market for a new vehicle are likely to buy an EV.

• Men are more inclined to buy an EV than woman (73 per cent vs. 62 per cent, respectively).

• Nearly four in five (79 per cent) of those aged 18 to 44 – comprised predominantly of Millennials and Generation Z – say they are very likely or likely to buy an EV within the next five years, compared to 58 per cent of those aged 45 years and older.

• 42 per cent in the market for an EV within the next five years are prepared to spend between $30,000 and $49,999 and 20 per cent are willing to spend up to $74,999. About a third (31 per cent) in the market for an EV within the next five years want to spend less than $30,000.
  • 83 per cent of Canadians believe the auto makers should be required to invest in a national charging infrastructure.

• 89 per cent want EV charging stations installed at "every gas station" as well as shopping malls and grocery stores.

• 61 per cent say the pandemic made them realize that they need a vehicle. They said they would rather drive than take public transport.
The Environment: A Big Motivator
For those already inclined to buy an EV, they were motivated by environmental concerns, lower operating costs, tax incentives, and the prospect of reduced insurance premiums. For them, tax incentives were much less of an incentive than the environment or lower operating costs. However, when the question of tax incentives was put to all respondents, 70 per cent said they needed tax and/or automotive company incentives to make them change their mind and buy an EV.
Those in the market for an EV said they plan to buy: Toyota (23 per cent), Tesla (19 per cent); and Honda (9 per cent). More men than women said they intended to buy a Tesla, 22 per cent vs. 15 per cent, respectively. Women opted for EV models from Toyota (21 per cent).
Further, 59 per cent of Canadians planning to buy an EV said they will buy their own charger. This jumps to 66 per cent in Quebec and is only 50 per cent in B.C. Just over a quarter (26 per cent) have not figured out where to charge it overnight but are hoping their condo building will install chargers "soon" and another 12 per cent plan to charge it at the mall, shopping centre, or office.
The EV Divide – Lingering Doubts
The main reasons cited by those planning to buy a vehicle but not an EV are the high cost (60 per cent); limited driving range (51 per cent); lack of charging infrastructure (50 per cent); dubious battery lifespan (30 per cent), limited model options (24 per cent); and recharging time (24 per cent).
Other Considerations:
  • 70 per cent of all Canadians are looking for tax and/or automotive company incentives to buy an EV.

• 77 per cent of all Canadians want their EV to run for a minimum of 400 km on a full battery.

• Over two-thirds (67 per cent) are concerned about reliability in cold weather.

• Over half (53 per cent) worry EVs could "blow up the electrical grid" and could be too expensive to operate given electricity prices.

The next new vehicle purchase for nearly 70 per cent of Canadians will be an electric model: KPMG in Canada survey​

The problem with this survey (and the general population as a whole) is most people look at EV use and infrastructure from an ICE perspective where you run the car until it's out of gas. With EV's the "tank" is full every time you leave the house. And the house is your "gas station." Thus, charging stations are only needed on main highways. Tesla has already thought of this and installed a network of surperchargers across North America that take 30min or less for a charge. Have a look yourself:

Once you get your head around this, the range of a vehicle becomes less important. I actually think most city bound gas stations as we know today will be replaced with parks or coffee shops.

And since this thread is about EV trucks, here's a new one I would take all day long:

Good points. I think like many things people are reluctant to embrace change. I’m sure the first cars were laughed at by the equestrian set, still are sometimes lol. I think we‘re heading towards electric or alternative fuels at a pace faster than many realize. Nothing is 100%, early cars sure weren’t and electric cars aren’t at this point. Won’t happen overnight but IMO will happen.

Good points. I think like many things people are reluctant to embrace change. I’m sure the first cars were laughed at by the equestrian set, still are sometimes lol. I think we‘re heading towards electric or alternative fuels at a pace faster than many realize. Nothing is 100%, early cars sure weren’t and electric cars aren’t at this point. Won’t happen overnight but IMO will happen.

of course its going to happen some countries have already regulated by X date every car that is allowed to be sold will be electric.

Back