Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Im not exactly sure when they plan on training people to work on them either. My oldest son just finished up his 4 th year HD mech last year and there was no mention of any training coming down for EV equipment or trucks as of yet. With all the big talk about EV equipment in mines and trucks on the road you would think they would want to start training some people for this big replacement that’s supposedly taking place.

We have loads of different variable speed electric motors, with loads of integrated electrical interlocks ect... at work and electricians work on them. These are not your standard household electricians tho and their rates are not cheap 50% to 100% more then residential electricians.

for wrenching and welding we use mechanics.

As EVs become mainstream i would think having an industrial electrician certified in complicated electrical components will become part of any team servicing EVs. Not easy for a mom and pop shop to adapt tho.

We have loads of different variable speed electric motors, with loads of integrated electrical interlocks ect... at work and electricians work on them. These are not your standard household electricians tho and their rates are not cheap 50% to 100% more then residential electricians.

for wrenching and welding we use mechanics.

As EVs become mainstream i would think having an industrial electrician certified in complicated electrical components will become part of any team servicing EVs. Not easy for a mom and pop shop to adapt tho.

As do we on the drilling rigs and have for years now. We run 1400 hp motors on the drawworks as well as one on each of the twin rig pumps both 1200 hp motors. But those are nothing new like I say they’ve been around for decades now. And as you they are serviced by electricians but I would think with the onset of EV’s they would be getting these wrench pullers ready but maybe not maybe it will always be a dual technician operation.

Fixing EV's are not that hard but here in BC we seem to be about 5 years behind the times. If I was 30 years younger I would grab one of those Leafs that had battery issues and hunt down a pack from a new one and swap it out. Here is a video from out east that shows what can be done.

Now if it was just one cell that was bad in your pack you could do this.

I like that line. “ It makes me feel like I’m feeding the hungry, without having to give them any food, and that makes me feel good about myself“ lol
If that doesn’t some up about 90% of the climate alarmists I don’t know what does lol.

So anyway that’s why disinformation is dangerous.

Lot of food for thought in that video. Cost comparisons from a third party are very useful. Being in the Okanagan I get enquiries about PV arrays at least once a week. I usually recommend standing seam metal for the roof because it's so easy and clean to attach PV cells to it - the only penetration required is a conduit to the electrical panel. May have to consider the Tesla system for some projects though based on what I see in the video. Looks like it's matured a lot from the initial product.

I have a soft spot for these old GM trucks.

So what’s the cost of all these trucks. Initially the Rivian was supposed to be cheaper than the cyber truck but now I’m hearing it’s the other way around. And what about the Ford 150EV. Anyone have a cost comparison link?

I'm ready for a new truck but I think I better wait until the next one before I go electric. Let those early adopter folks pay down the R&D costs.

Back