Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

New SUV from GM, nice but too $ for me.

Disappointing, only in 2 years!? And I never liked Hummers. Too late and missing the market. There will be better options sooner - soon.

Ford F150 Lightning

Hoping the new 2022+ Ford Ranger line (and the new Bronco line) get a plug-in-hybrid PowerBoost option similar to the F-150. I think a PIH truck would be a good bridge vehicle over the next decade plus while charging networks, service training/capacity etc, etc. Enough electric energy for work/errand commutes around town so you’re not burning gas where you don’t really need it. Will be very interested to see how the type of vehicles most of us are interested in, like like the Powerboost pickup or Jeep Wrangler 4xe fair in longer term, real world testing. Sure looks like the progression is acellerating!

Cheers!

Ukee

Reactions: GLG
Hoping the new 2022+ Ford Ranger line (and the new Bronco line) get a plug-in-hybrid PowerBoost option similar to the F-150. I think a PIH truck would be a good bridge vehicle over the next decade plus while charging networks, service training/capacity etc, etc. Enough electric energy for work/errand commutes around town so you’re not burning gas where you don’t really need it. Will be very interested to see how the type of vehicles most of us are interested in, like like the Powerboost pickup or Jeep Wrangler 4xe fair in longer term, real world testing. Sure looks like the progression is acellerating!

Cheers!

Ukee
I expect a plug-in hybrid Ranger by 2023 or more likely 2024 as Ford Europe confirmed one in that time period for there. Since Bronco share components there would be a good chance it too would follow along.

I honestly can’t see battery powered trucks replacing diesel pushers for a while when it comes to towing 8,000+ lbs, be it a boat, RV or work trailers. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong.

I honestly can’t see battery powered trucks replacing diesel pushers for a while when it comes to towing 8,000+ lbs, be it a boat, RV or work trailers. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong.
I think eventually they will prove you wrong but not for now. For me, my cabin is about 320 KM away. So the F150 could make it there on a charge on paper. But that battery capacity doesn't factor in climbing hills on the Hope Princeton highway, stop and go traffic in the lower mainland on a Friday of a long weekend, and towing of a boat. I would hate to buy one of the first models, only to realize that I need to recharge 2-3 times to feel confident that I will make it to my cabin.

The reality is these batteries really haven’t come that far in the last 10 years. If you look at the expected mileage of the first generation Tesla’s compared with today’s its not very impressive. They have definitely done better but not even close to what they said they would be doing by now. At that the mileage in them is best case scenario add any obstacles or variations to it and they die hard. Could you imagine living in downtown Vancouver and jumping in your EV Hummer and going 4 bying for the day. By the time you got out of town to the top of the hill you would have to turn around and head back, hopefully roll back down the hill. Nope they are mostly hype and no action. They have a loooong way to go before they interest me. Biden was going to run over a reporter with one for asking him a non rehearsed unauthorized question this week but there wasn't enough battery power so he couldn't do it. Funny part was he probly would have tried but he wasn’t even driving, there was a second steering wheel and the passenger was driving.

Last edited:
The reality is these batteries really haven’t come that far in the last 10 years. If you look at the expected mileage of the first generation Tesla’s compared with today’s its not very impressive. They have definitely done better but not even close to what they said they would be doing by now. At that the mileage in them is best case scenario add any obstacles or variations to it and they die hard. Could you imagine living in downtown Vancouver and jumping in your EV Hummer and going 4 bying for the day. By the time you got out of town to the top of the hill you would have to turn around and head back, hopefully roll back down the hill. Nope they are mostly hype and no action. They have a loooong way to go before they interest me. Biden was going to run over a reporter with one for asking him a non rehearsed unauthorized question this week but there wasn't enough battery power so he couldn't do it. Funny part was he probly would have tried but he wasn’t even driving, there was a second steering wheel and the passenger was driving.
At least you can put a CAT generator in the bed and get you home lol

Don't believe everything you read on the internet because if it sound dumb it's because it is.

Last edited:
If it’s not there yet it’s certainly coming, maybe not for every application but certainly for many. Probably always be some requirement for internal combustion engines in the near future. Good news is even if you don’t want to go electric others will and the demand for gas will drop and hopefully prices will as well.

Just about time for a new half ton for me, move my 2014 Silverado into the work fleet and sell the oldest truck. The F150 Lightning has me very interested. The usual objections raised about long trips, but I don't make that many of those - four or five a year that would exceed to nominal range of the standard Lightning battery. My everyday work driving would never exceed that range, so I'd only need to plan ahead for trips. My Tesla-owning friends say a stop in Merritt or Hope for 15-20 minutes is all that's needed for a trip to the lower rainland. Well hell, we do that anyway now, if not needed for gas then at least a coffee and a ****. Actually, we always top off tanks in Hope in both directions so as to avoid metro Vancouver gas prices. These longer issues with electric have all been solved, a just little forethought is required. We all do this planning for trips in our ICE trucks now, but we've been making those plans for so long we don't realise we do it.

Big attraction for me would be leaving home each morning with a full 'fuel tank', no more weekly gas station stop dictated to me. Charging stations aren't highly visible out in public because not as many are needed. Most owners go weeks and weeks without visiting one because they're getting all the charge needed at home. I usually keep a truck 15 years or more, so I'm mindful that another gas or diesel truck bought now is going to burning fossil fuel for a long time.

Ford will have done their homework on this one. F-150 has been their cash cow for decades, no way would they risk compromising the most profitable brand they own. My biggest concern is will it be available in Canada within a reasonable (12-18 months) time frame?

Got my Rivian deposit $ back. Pretty sure I'm sold on Testla's ugly Cybertruck. Would be cool if they do what Elon has suggested they might do and heat up the stainless steel bodies to produce some different colors. A heat treated blue pewter color would be much better than the SS IMO. Friend of mine has a lot of shares of Testla and he is pretty far up on the list of first deposit $ given for one of these trucks so hoping to wait and see how it is when he gets his. The Texas plant for the truck build is apparently well along the way being built now. He showed me some of the pictures of the equipment being installed in the factory. Pretty amazing seeing all the high tech robots etc. This truck is supposed to come to the Canadian market at under $100K for the standard model and goes up from there. My friend told me they will gaurantee complete water submersion of the truck motors in water. Sounds pretty impressive so far but I've heard all of this before with the Rivian that was supposed to be out by now and keeps getting put off.. So time will tell. Have had my F350 Diesel since new 12 years ago and I love the power, ride, towing ability etc but I told my family the only other new vehicle I will get will be an electric truck so when this one comes out I'll be stepping up to the plate for certain unless they come out as complete lemons lol.

Back