Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Sold out long before this.....

Vehicles like the new Vette were on dealers "lists" as far back as three years. Add to this the numbers the dealers get and you can wait a loooooong time!

Hummer brand has quite the following. Was smart move. The only thing that scares me a little is GM absolutely sucks with electronics. My hummer was littered with bad harnessing and electronics issues.

All my gm trucks was same thing.

Anything electric seems to sell out very fast in the motor vehicles world. Imo it would be really disruptive if they decided to match production to demand.

This has been somewhat of a concern of mine for awhile, besides the battery electric vehicles need almost no maintenance and will last along time. Its so advantageous for them not to put out replacement batteries as people may hold onto these things forever and not buy new ones.

"His local dealership has encouraged him to solve the issue by simply purchasing a brand-new Nissan Leaf. The basic 2020 model costs $42,000 and can travel about 240 km on a full charge. That suggestion doesn't seem very sustainable to Brander. "

Typical, dealer response:rolleyes:

"At just seven years old, Brander's Leaf is newer than most cars on the road in Canada, where the average vehicle is 10 years old. (In B.C., the average is 11.)"

7 years old and its toast:eek:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-new-battery-1.5769998

"The dealership where I bought the car said that in a few years, you can replace the battery for about $5,000," said Brander.

But now, he can't find one. He's tried two nearby Nissan dealerships, three local repair shops and contacted Nissan Canada.

"Nissan hasn't been helpful. I've sent probably six emails to them," said Brander. "They keep telling me to go to the dealership. I called my local dealership and they sent emails to Nissan Canada. Six weeks later, neither of us has gotten a response."

Both dealerships told him that a new battery — if he can find one — could cost him at least $15,000, which would be more than he paid for the vehicle in the first place.

Last edited:
You should not need an OEM battery hope some companies start making replacements. The Fact is 7 years later he should be able to get a way better batter but nope instead he's getting a kick to the nuts.

A friend had a Honda and when the battery was found faulty after about 6/7 yrs it was replaced under the extended warranty she had purchased. No problem from what I understand.

warranty replacement is meaningless. the corporations are committed legally to replacing things under warranty and maintain a stock of parts for that purpose. the real test of longevity comes after the warranty is done. my 2005 mazda MPV is not only out of warranty its also been out of production for 14 years and i can still get almost all parts from mazda and OEMs.
not sure why anyone would buy an electric vehicle. they take longer to charge, go less distance on a single tank, if you get stuck in one you really get stuck since they dont even support generators, parts are impossible to get after the warranty expires, they cost a lot more, they are costlier to fix, most mechanics dont know how to deal with them, burn range for heating the cabin, are usually heavier, are scrapped in the case of any accident, cost much more in insurance and the only real advantage is you can go solo in the HOV lane with them.

I think EV’s have their place. No reason why city minions can’t be running around in them. One look at the smog laying over the typical city **** holes like Vancouver or Toronto or any large urban area for that matter will tell you they would be darn better for everyone’s personal health above anything else.

I think EV’s have their place. No reason why city minions can’t be running around in them. One look at the smog laying over the typical city **** holes like Vancouver or Toronto or any large urban area for that matter will tell you they would be darn better for everyone’s personal health above anything else.

you mean they would be good for "other" people. the problem with producing cars like that is the "other" people dont want them either for the same reasons you dont. either they dont have plug points in their building, or they cant find a mechanic willing to work on them outside of the dealership or they want a small 4 banger for $15K instead of a $45K EV. unless EVs appeal to everyone and not just "other" people they wont fly long term. sure you will always get a niche "cool, tech savvy, hip" audience for them (aka tesla) but not mainstream.

Nah, city's have big issues with pollution and waste.
Look at Vancouver, city staff recommended revoking limited free parking for Veterans since allowing them to park would encourage vehicle use and that's a capital offence in their view.
Run on sentence alert.

you mean they would be good for "other" people. the problem with producing cars like that is the "other" people dont want them either for the same reasons you dont. either they dont have plug points in their building, or they cant find a mechanic willing to work on them outside of the dealership or they want a small 4 banger for $15K instead of a $45K EV. unless EVs appeal to everyone and not just "other" people they wont fly long term. sure you will always get a niche "cool, tech savvy, hip" audience for them (aka tesla) but not mainstream.

Im not exactly sure when they plan on training people to work on them either. My oldest son just finished up his 4 th year HD mech last year and there was no mention of any training coming down for EV equipment or trucks as of yet. With all the big talk about EV equipment in mines and trucks on the road you would think they would want to start training some people for this big replacement that’s supposedly taking place.

warranty replacement is meaningless. the corporations are committed legally to replacing things under warranty and maintain a stock of parts for that purpose. the real test of longevity comes after the warranty is done. my 2005 mazda MPV is not only out of warranty its also been out of production for 14 years and i can still get almost all parts from mazda and OEMs.
not sure why anyone would buy an electric vehicle. they take longer to charge, go less distance on a single tank, if you get stuck in one you really get stuck since they dont even support generators, parts are impossible to get after the warranty expires, they cost a lot more, they are costlier to fix, most mechanics dont know how to deal with them, burn range for heating the cabin, are usually heavier, are scrapped in the case of any accident, cost much more in insurance and the only real advantage is you can go solo in the HOV lane with them.
We bought one, currently as a second vehicle as I generally use my work truck. Frankly I’ve been very happy with it, plenty of battery to go where we go in an average day and we simply plug it into our home charger when we get home so it’s ready to go the next day. Figure it costs about $20 a month so pretty darn good.
As for longevity and parts availability, let’s be honest here, most of these vehicles are pretty new so no one knows if that will become an issue. I think as they become more mainstream, maintenance, parts etc will only get easier. As I said I still run a V10 so I’m not suggesting all vehicles can be replaced at this time. I think going in open minded is the key, if it works for you great if not keep your current vehicle.

Im not exactly sure when they plan on training people to work on them either. My oldest son just finished up his 4 th year HD mech last year and there was no mention of any training coming down for EV equipment or trucks as of yet. With all the big talk about EV equipment in mines and trucks on the road you would think they would want to start training some people for this big replacement that’s supposedly taking place.
My sons been working for transit here for about 10 years as a mechanic and they send their guys away for training. Probably same for your son once he gets his papers, depending on where he works and what gear they’re running.

Back