Derby's Canuck emporium

Geezer players are a dying breed...time to draft some WHL young guns...:)

I suspect Vancouver will struggle for a few years and languish near the bottom of their conference till the rebuilding job is done. That includes a good goalie. And it will be even longer if the coach does not let the Sedin's play their game and stops trying to make them a play differently.

ended the season with a bang...see what next year brings...:)

Kesler to Pitt for Sutter, 1st rd pick, and Derek Poulliot. Essentially Kes for 3 first rd picks, I'd take it in a second.

Edler to ??? (Philly, Detroit?) for 1st and young skilled forward. Also heard rumour of Edler and a 1st to Winnipeg for Evander Kane, we may have to sweeten pot with a Hansen or Jensen plus the others for that...if EDLER would waive his NTC to winnipeg.

yep he should of ended the season with a hat-trick...not a stretcher ride...:(

Would have been scary for him. He said he tried to lift his head and he couldn't so he stayed still and waited for help. They weren't able to find anything at the hospital though so maybe just from the blow to the head. He was at the year end press conference and seemed good though.
[aWyzZKoLYvE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aWyzZKoLYvE starts at 11:30

Kesler to Pitt for Sutter, 1st rd pick, and Derek Poulliot. Essentially Kes for 3 first rd picks, I'd take it in a second.

Edler to ??? (Philly, Detroit?) for 1st and young skilled forward. Also heard rumour of Edler and a 1st to Winnipeg for Evander Kane, we may have to sweeten pot with a Hansen or Jensen plus the others for that...if EDLER would waive his NTC to winnipeg.

Waive an NTC to go to Winnipeg???? Ha Ha!!

Sutter is another 3rd line centre. We've got lots of those in the system, Horvat, Gaunce, Mathias, Santorelli, Dalpe, Richardson etc. We need top 6 help. Braden Schenn or Coutorier plus a first with either one. Chicago has some interesting pieces too.

Edler to ??? (Philly, Detroit?) for 1st and young skilled forward. .

I don't think he is coming to my Flyers as we just signed McDonald to an extension today with a cap hit of $5million. With Timonen a UFA after this year (our only UFA/RFA dman) and still being burdened by part of Pronger's cap hit I can't see us taking on Edler's salary unless we moved some defensive pieces.

Add to that Giroux's extension kicks in next year which carries a pretty lofty bump up in his cap hit.

"Maybe" we move Matt Read before the deadline as he is UFA this year and will be looking for a raise or Schenn as he is RFA after this year. We just gave Couturier an extension at a good hit....I can't see him being moved given his performance and the price he is.

I don't think Philly would let Couturier go either but I would take him over Schenn. I think he might just be the best third line centre in the league with offensive potential to possibly move into a really good #2. I' d take him in a heartbeat. That being said I wish the Canucks had of pried him out of Philly for Schneider as most seem to think Horvat projects as a possible good third line centre and you'd think Schneider should have garnered us at least one of the best third line centres in the league. Sure glad Gillis is gone.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would trade one of the best two way centres in the league during the prime of his career. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Kesler is the lifeblood of this squad and isn't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would trade one of the best two way centres in the league during the prime of his career. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Kesler is the lifeblood of this squad and isn't going anywhere.

That's actually an easy one. We don't want to be like Calgary...who should of traded Iginla away 3 years earlier to get a HUGE return for him and instead of re building they could be retooling...which is what we can do instead of re building a few years from now and still not winning a Cup.

Best two way centers in league...nailed it, great return. Derek Poulliot is going to be an absolutely amazing offensive defenceman...throw him in a package with Pitts 1st rd this year or even next, and Sutter (Very, very good 3rd line center) who has potential to be 20 goal scorer as 3rd line center, that's a damn good return and sets us up nicely going forward. Also this would allow us to get rid of one of our Dmen now, aka Edler, and getting a nice return for him too, PLUS both these moves free up cap space to sign a solid 2nd line winger (Moulson?) or a 2nd line center (Statsny?!?! who I'm a huge fan of). Sutter can also play wing, so he could move to wing on 3rd line with Horvat and Higgins...could end up with...I say trade hansen but doubt he will.

F

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kassian - Statsny - Higgins
Sutter - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias- Richardson - Jensen
depth - Sesito, Santorelli?

D
Tanev - Hammer
Bieksa - Garrison
Corrodo - Stanton
Poulliot - Weber

G

Lack
Markstrom

This still leaves 8 Mill in cap space btw, including doubling tanev's salary and signing kassian for almost 2 mill a year....so in theory could sign another UFA, but I feel like another trade could occur, really don't know what to do with that 8 mill. (somehow get evander kane?). Won't pretend to know how to get closer to cap, but not a horrible lineup, a lot of depth I think

The fact a number of sources reported that Kesler stated he hated playing in Canada, requested a trade out of Vancouver and vowed he would never sign with another Canadian-based team might have a little to do with it.

Let's also be honest with ourselves. Kesler is a great defensive forward who had two good offensive years (09-10 & 10-11). He is not in the same league as Toews, Bergeron or Datsyuk, but not many are. Cody Hodgson, who pretty much everyone would agree did not have a great season, finished with one more point than Kesler and played 5 less games and no where close to the minutes Kesler logged. The two years preceding his break out, Kes scored 37 & 59, since those two years he's scored 49, 60 (if you extrapolate the strike shortened season) and 43. Solid supporting production from a shutdown centre, but far from a top tier star in the NHL. Courturier's not there yet but is young and has tons of potential, not many GMs, if any, are giving up Courturier for Kesler.

Ukee

kes is going to Anaheim or Pitts for sure. Main prospects coming back would be Emerson Etem or Derek Poulliot apparently. And Poulliot is a much more dynamic and rare type of player than Etem. So I rather he go to Pitts, plus could get Sutter who is really good 3rd liner, like even ok 2nd liner potential.

From everything I read a deal for Kes with Pitt would have to be:

Poulliot + 1st + Sutter

From Anaheim most likely:

Nick Bonino + Emerson Etem + 1st (doubtful Ottawa's first, most likely anaheims. Although if Ottawa's that could be difference).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually an easy one. We don't want to be like Calgary...who should of traded Iginla away 3 years earlier to get a HUGE return for him and instead of re building they could be retooling...which is what we can do instead of re building a few years from now and still not winning a Cup.

Best two way centers in league...nailed it, great return. Derek Poulliot is going to be an absolutely amazing offensive defenceman...throw him in a package with Pitts 1st rd this year or even next, and Sutter (Very, very good 3rd line center) who has potential to be 20 goal scorer as 3rd line center, that's a damn good return and sets us up nicely going forward. Also this would allow us to get rid of one of our Dmen now, aka Edler, and getting a nice return for him too, PLUS both these moves free up cap space to sign a solid 2nd line winger (Moulson?) or a 2nd line center (Statsny?!?! who I'm a huge fan of). Sutter can also play wing, so he could move to wing on 3rd line with Horvat and Higgins...could end up with...I say trade hansen but doubt he will.

F

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kassian - Statsny - Higgins
Sutter - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias- Richardson - Jensen
depth - Sesito, Santorelli?

D
Tanev - Hammer
Bieksa - Garrison
Corrodo - Stanton
Poulliot - Weber

G

Lack
Markstrom

This still leaves 8 Mill in cap space btw, including doubling tanev's salary and signing kassian for almost 2 mill a year....so in theory could sign another UFA, but I feel like another trade could occur, really don't know what to do with that 8 mill. (somehow get evander kane?). Won't pretend to know how to get closer to cap, but not a horrible lineup, a lot of depth I think

I agree that Calgary should have traded Iginla 3 years ago. But if you told me that they should have traded him 7 years ago I would say you are crazy! Kesler is in his prime. I guarantee that Linden believes this team can compete by bringing in a supporting cast for the core which includes Kesler. There are far better ways of getting the depth you need than trading away your best player in his prime. Vancouver right now has a way better shot of turning this around than Calgary 3 years ago. And they will need a Kesler like player to do it so why not keep him.

The only excuse for trading him is if he demands out of this town, which I highly doubt is accurate.

Put Kesler on the wing on the first line and put the rookies on the second line.

Sedin, sedin, Kesler
Burrows, Horvat, Jensen
Higgins, santorelli, Hanson?
Kassian, Richardson, Matthias

If Horvat and Jensen can't play 15+ minutes then they should be in Utica/abbotsford

If you don't think Horvat is good enough for second line Center duties then sign someone or try and trade a dman.

Last edited by a moderator:
That forward group is way too similar to this year. How'd that go? When the coach says the core is "stale" and it needs to be changed then it needs to be changed. Coaches don't say that for nothing. Look at past three seasons man. How on earth can you say all we need is supporting cast for core? Mind = boggled

I think the coach's style of coaching is stale and predictable. The top players were totally burned out by Christmas

Back