David Korsch's Latest Vancouver/Nanaimo

fishin_magician

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 20th/2007.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

It is that time of year when we usually find the local Chinook fishing tapers off, and this year is no exception to the rule. We actually had better than average Chinook fishing in lower Howe Sound during the first couple weeks of the month, but it started to taper off dramatically by the weekend of the 12th, and by Monday May 14th, it had died completely. Funny how it happens that the fishing is so good one week (catches of up to 4 legal Chinook weighing into the mid-20's plus double digit numbers of undersize), then you are scrounging for a bite or two the next.

Of course there are still some Chinook in our local waters, and they can be found around Howe Sound for the next few months. The early Squamish Chinook may have moved to the river mouth (and upstream?), but the main run of the Squamish Chinook is during the summer months, and these fish tend to trickle into Howe Sound over the next several weeks before holding off Porteau Cove's net pen site. Camp Byng, Gower Pt., Salmon Rk., and Tunstall Bay should see these fish arriving soon, and shortly after they show up at places like Hutt Is., Grace Is., Cotton Pt., Halkett Pt., Cowan's Pt., and Hole in the Wall. Defense Islands and Porteau Cove should continue to produce fish though July, and at times when lots of them concentrate, the action can be VERY good.

Of course, though of you who know my fishing location preferences know I try to get over to the Gulf Islands (Thrasher Rk., or Eastern Gabriola) every chance I get between now and early July. The Chinook fishery in this area peaks at this time of year, and it looks as if this year will be business as usual. The action earlier this year from this area was "better than average", and we saw the action pick up considerably this weekend. It had slowed early last week, but began to pick up on Friday. On Saturday, the action off the Eastern side of Gabriola was quite good for the several anglers fishing the area, and we hooked up 5 good Chinook off the South side of Thrasher. If we weren't the only boat fishing the area at the time, I may have stayed and had even better results, but seals were a problem on this particular day (took two fish in a row), so we left for a couple hours right in the middle of the bite.

As the massive ebb tides we are currently experiencing reduce in size, I'd expect to see the action pick up even further, as it will be easier to fish the area properly. Looks as if this fishery is getting going right on schedule. Now all we need are several weeks of calm seas, and we should have some pretty great fishing!

When fishing off Gabriola and Thrasher Rk., lures always seem to be the best producers. While anchovies will get some fish and be the best option at times, on a day in and day out basis, small spoons are generally the best producers. The small (1.5" ) Krippled-K has been a perennial favourite over here, and Gypsy spoons have really come on strong in recent years. The 3.5" Coyote is another good choice. Colours change a bit, but the Paddy Wagon (Cop Car) is always a good choice, as well as Army Truck, Punk Skunk, Witch, Flamin' Hans, Watermelon, and Lime Twist. Troll just off the bottom in 100 to 200 feet of water. Hootchies can also work well at times, and in the last couple years, the green/glow spackleback hootchie has been "hot". Also try Army Truck, Peanut Butter, and glow purple.

If you are interested in booking a charter, I am still pretty open during the next couple of weeks. At present, the only days (times), I am presently unavailable to do a trip are: Monday May 28th (morning), Tuesday May 29th (all day), Wednesday May 30th (morning for sure, and maybe all day), and as days fill up, I will take a few days off as well, but about 1/2 the days between now and mid-June should still be open for charters at this time.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

Back