Custom stacking rod holders

Brett83

A couple weeks ago I was fishing in Bamfield, I posted about it in the fishing report but long story short, I had a rod holder sheer off and I lost a fish, a nice reel and a nice rod. I phone around when I got back and the fish store knew the exact holder I was talking about. It's had issues. So I customized some stronger ones out of aluminum. I had them professionally welded and powder coated white. The white makes us that mush more visible and looks cool. Here are photos.

Attachments

• 20210817_202022.jpg
    20210817_202022.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 20210817_202837.jpg
    20210817_202837.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 20210817_191222.jpg
    20210817_191222.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 237
A couple weeks ago I was fishing in Bamfield, I posted about it in the fishing report but long story short, I had a rod holder sheer off and I lost a fish, a nice reel and a nice rod. I phone around when I got back and the fish store knew the exact holder I was talking about. It's had issues. So I customized some stronger ones out of aluminum. I had them professionally welded and powder coated white. The white makes us that mush more visible and looks cool. Here are photos.
What was the overall cost for the set of them?

What was the overall cost for the set of them?
Overall cost for everything was 390$.. 150$ in raw aluminum, 100$ welding, 100$ powder coating. 40$ in aluminum blades. However if I was to sell them I would have to charge 1200$-1500$ a pair because it took me quite a few hours to shape them.

They look great! Since we only fish one rod per rigger, I have stopped using boom-mounts completely and have been using the built-in holders found on most boats. Pleasantly surprised at their ease of use.

As someone who has recently done a lot of upgrade work on their downrigger rod holder mounts, I would love to know what scotty mount is known for sheering off. I want to know if I can trust my changes. It wouldn't happen to be the No. 447 dual rocket launcher holder, would it?

As someone who has recently done a lot of upgrade work on their downrigger rod holder mounts, I would love to know what scotty mount is known for sheering off. I want to know if I can trust my changes. It wouldn't happen to be the No. 447 dual rocket launcher holder, would it?
The rocket launchers can yes. The cheaper dual tube base, which is much like the one shown by the OP, is indestructible.

I’d stay away from the SS rocket launchers. Almost lost a rod last week. There’s nothing wrong with the base.
1629302921855.png

I’d stay away from the SS rocket launchers. Almost lost a rod last week. There’s nothing wrong with the base.
View attachment 69420
These are the ones that cost me a brand new islander and g Loomis rod. Even if your drag was locked dead tight the 30 lb leader should break before the tube. And my drag was fairly normal.

I only stack when fishing for Sockeye, which is now every four years. For my type of trolling, I’m going to buy and install the Strikers on my gunnels and give it a try this season. I’m slowly loosing my interest in Orcas as well. Maybe I’m a bit paranoid but the look of the orcas when trolling deep in big currents scares the sh out of me.

I saw Strikers are on sale for $40 at Steveston. Anyone knows of a better deal locally? ;)

The HP Scotty riggers

Attachments

• 8CFCF78C-10D9-42E1-BAE6-09141579B26B.jpeg
    8CFCF78C-10D9-42E1-BAE6-09141579B26B.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 951C7304-F856-4853-ADD8-1DDEDF5FABC3.jpeg
    951C7304-F856-4853-ADD8-1DDEDF5FABC3.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 88
They look good.

Have you ever used them on the gunnel railing? I’m thinking of switching my orcas with strikers which are currently mounted on the gunnel rail.
Since I broke my holder and lost my rod I've heard a million stories. I've heard the striker have been having issues. I think the boom mounts do better. No scientific evidence though. My older style stacking units were great. The welded aluminum is excessive and built for therapy.

Back