curing herring

Like Rob I use anise as well but I add cream instead of powdered milk to the brine, after three days they are still firm.

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

Speaking of herring, anybody on here troll herring? Would be nice to have an effective free bait source.
Do you mean 'jig their own'?

Because I have caught a Herring on the troll.

As an aside-I can't believe the price of powdered milk!

Shouldn't dried product be cheaper?

Ah, I meant troll with herring, as bait for salmon. :D Had the odd monster stick its lips to a spoon, but that was not what I meant.

Ether I need glasses or am shoping in the wrong grocery store :D

Speaking of herring, anybody on here troll herring? Would be nice to have an effective free bait source.
All the time. Blue and purple pack herring rocks for the big slabs. It produced the winner in 2 derbies here last year but i pay good money for the best product available :D

quote:Originally posted by Fishtofino

All the time. Blue and purple pack herring rocks for the big slabs. It produced the winner in 2 derbies here last year but i pay good money for the best product available :D

Also i just use a little rock salt - it has it's own scent cause it's a herring

Last year on the WCVI I was given a bucket of blue herring and anchovies by some American gents that were packing up to head home. The young guy that gave me the bucket'o'bluebait had blue hands
They hadn't had much luck, just a couple of fish over the few days with a couple of boats.
I'd been doing alright already, and just set the stuff aside.

When I ran out of my own (fresh, non-brined) anchovies, I figured I'd give the blue stuff a try.

First few I put out I caught... Sea Gulls!
I had to RACE to get the bait underwater each time. I couldn't believe it! As soon as I started stripping line, the Gulls were crashing on it!
Each bait lasted less than 5 minutes underwater. I was fishing in about 60 feet, at 20/40, and was bringing up everything that swims, unfortunately a whole wack of undersized. On both Anchovie and Herring, even with a few of the herring being monsters.

After that, I tried brining/bluing my own, but never got the same result.

I don't know what they were doing wrong, but I hope to run into them again this year!

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

May, I add "anchovies" to that?

And, no "I" do not personally use them over, again... I throw them as I really havn't had much luck in the re-freezing thing?

This sounds good but If you remove the guts and put the herring back in the brine for a day it shrinks the bellies and messes up the rotation of the bait. Leave the guts in until your ready for the hook.

Back