curing herring

Talked to some Americans last summer in nootka who swear by this stuff on their anchovies. They were fully limited when they left.

Talked to some Americans last summer in nootka who swear by this stuff on their anchovies. They were fully limited when they left.

in the video one of the ingredients was Borax. What does the Borax do to the bait? thanks. DAJ

in the video one of the ingredients was Borax. What does the Borax do to the bait? thanks. DAJ

Bear Cove...
I have used powder milk also and like the shine but had concerns about the milk going sour if used for a few days. Any issues?

Thanks
Tips

Bear Cove...
I have used powder milk also and like the shine but had concerns about the milk going sour if used for a few days. Any issues?

Thanks
Tips

Tips Up,

Never had a problem with the powdered milk going sour. I generally do not keep the bait curing for more that a few days anyways, but I can see where that would become a problem. It really gives it a nice shine though and the blue gives it great colour.

Bear Cove Cottages Sportsfishing Destination
www.bearcovecottages.ca

Tips Up,

Never had a problem with the powdered milk going sour. I generally do not keep the bait curing for more that a few days anyways, but I can see where that would become a problem. It really gives it a nice shine though and the blue gives it great colour.

Bear Cove Cottages Sportsfishing Destination
www.bearcovecottages.ca

Fellas

This works quite well also... ( on anchovies as well )

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Just reduce the recipe by Quarter , you'll find that it is very similar to the above recipe , with the added powdered milk to the mix, your choice of scent,I use Anchovy Smelley Jelly or Garlic . I tend to use a bit more of Mrs Stewarts Blue ,than this recipe requires , 2 tablespoons , to 1 liter of water , appx ,,, experiment .. I find 12 hours is usually enough , send em down ,

Cheers FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Fellas

This works quite well also... ( on anchovies as well )

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Just reduce the recipe by Quarter , you'll find that it is very similar to the above recipe , with the added powdered milk to the mix, your choice of scent,I use Anchovy Smelley Jelly or Garlic . I tend to use a bit more of Mrs Stewarts Blue ,than this recipe requires , 2 tablespoons , to 1 liter of water , appx ,,, experiment .. I find 12 hours is usually enough , send em down ,

Cheers FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Like Rob I use anise as well but I add cream instead of powdered milk to the brine, after three days they are still firm.

Back