Potential SFBC Salmon Showdown

Admin

Admin
Staff member
As many of you have seen in past years, I have carried on a family and friends tradition that my oldest brother started in hosting a fishing adventure to various locations and lodges on the west coast. This year, for a number of reasons beyond my control, I was unable to make the logistics work for our trip, but I still have spots on hold with Port Eliza Lodge in late July. So, I got to thinking that maybe there is an appetite to do an SFBC members and friends trip and have a friendly team competition at the same time, for bragging rights and maybe some cash and prizes, just to spice it up a little!
To that end, I am putting it out to the group to see if there is enough interest. I have a minimum of 24 spots available and you would be entered as a team of 3 for the event and fishing together each day. Here is a breakdown of the details of the trip.

Dates: July 28 to August 1, 2024.

Itinerary:
July 28 - Arrive in Zeballos at approximately 2 pm for transport by boat to the lodge. Dinner, meet the guides, socializing.
July 29, 30, 31 - 3 Full days of fishing.
August 1 - Breakfast, packing of fish and depart the lodge around 11 AM for Zeballos and return trip home.

The cost for the trip is $2450.00 or $2350.00 for Crew Members.

Included in the cost:
All meals and accommodation. (Shared)
3 full days of guided fishing.
Cleaning and vacuum packing of your catch.
Non-alcoholic beverages.

Not included in the cost:
Taxes
Alcoholic beverages.
Fishing licenses.
Gratuities for guides and land staff.

I am proposing to have a competion where each team of 3 would be entred for $750.00 ($250.00) per person. Each team would enter their biggest Chinook caught for each day into the pool. There would be a prize for the single biggest Chinook caught for the 3 day competion and a prize for the team with the highest total aggregate Chinook weight. Both prizes would be shared equaly by team members. In the event of a tie for the biggest Chinook or aggregate weight competition, the winnings would be split equally between the winning teams. I am open to suggestions for the competion, but I propose to break it down this way.

Here is an example of the pool splits. Of course, this would vary based on the number of teams entered. Again, I am open to suggestions on the pool setup.

8 teams of 3 at $750.00 ($250.00per per person) = $6000.00 total prize money.
Each guide of the winning teams would receive $600.00 (We want them to be incentivised)
Largest Chinook overall $3000.00 (split by team members)
Aggregate 3 day total $1800.00 (split by team members)

I have also had discussions with some of the manufacturers and retailers and will come up with prize packs to giveaway on a draw basis as well.

Port Eliza has been described as rustic in a beautiful setting at the entrance to Esperanza Inlet. In our experience the food was plentiful and tasty and would likely be described as home style meals. Jim and Sue Harris and their staff are great hosts and the location provides easy and quick access to a number of fantastic fishing locations for Salmon, Halibut, Ling and a wide variety of bottom fish.

If you are interested in participating and putting a team together, please PM me at the Admin account to reserve your spots. You can also reach me this way with any questions you have as well.

I know this is a new idea and I am hopeful that there is enough interest to pull it off, meet some new people, and make some new fishing friends at the end of it all. As I am typing this, I am remembering a gentleman that has been on many of our friends and family fishing adventures over the years. His son and I have been life long friends and he unfortunately passed away a few days ago. He was with us last summer on our trip to Port Eliza and I am so thankful that I got to fish with him one more time, but it also made me realize how many people I did not know before they came on these trips who now share in the passion and love of fishing and have become friends because of that shared passion.

Brian

PE Lodge.jpg

PE SSSP9.jpg

PE F.jpgPE FR.jpg

PE SSSP8.jpg

PE S.jpg

Attachments

• 1716154758210.png
    1716154758210.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 16
Tempting, that sounds like a pretty good deal for everything included and 3 days guiding. Not sure I have two buddies that are into fishing enough to do it though. Actually at Port Eliza a little over a week later than this already too. I hope it works out either way.

Is it a pinks year this year? This looks like it could be great. Debating this or Bamfield this year!

Abundant Pink runs typically occur in the odd numbered years on the west coast of the Island. I don't recall many Pinks coming to the boat last year, but the Coho and Chinook fishing was strong enough that everyone focussed on retaining those species.

Back