Coyote spoons

CIVANO

Some come with a silver blade on the hook end split ring. Do you guys leave it on or remove it?

"old chev camshafts" :D Good one.

Yes, change them! Be careful when you remove them because they tend to snap off suddenly.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

You putting a siwash hook on? Are you using a split ring or swivel between the spoon and hook? Can someone post up a pic of a modified spoon? I've changed out the hooks but the only decent siwash hooks I've been able to find are Gamakatsu and I'm not real fond of them.

I don't often run artificial gear, but if coyote spoons have to be modified so much, then why do guys like them? Aren't there other spoons that are better and don't have to be messed with? Tomic?

Just curious why coyotes are so popular.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

quote:Originally posted by Kramer

You putting a siwash hook on? Are you using a split ring or swivel between the spoon and hook? Can someone post up a pic of a modified spoon? I've changed out the hooks but the only decent siwash hooks I've been able to find are Gamakatsu and I'm not real fond of them.
Might want to give this a look! I haven't tried this yet, but looks interesting! :)

http://www.captaindownriggins.com/Videos.htm

quote:Originally posted by Kramer

Might want to give this a look! I haven't tried this yet, but looks interesting! :)

http://www.captaindownriggins.com/Videos.htm

I do the same thing with HotShots & Flatfish.

Those little silver blades?.. I leave the flicker blades on, and if a spoon doesn't have one I add one with a small split-ring. Island Outfitters has little brass & copper ones. If you want other colours, just use nailpolish. You can buy sparkle, white, black, worm-pink or glow colours as well as neons. Take your nieces or daughters with you to the make-up counter to "legitimize" your presence or to Claire's for the odd colours.

The guys & gals in the white coats behind the counter are a real hoot to watch when you bring in your salmon roe or rubber worms to get a colour-match.

Another thing you can add instead of the flicker is to tie onto the ring a few strands of crystal flash.

Cheers!

I do the same thing with HotShots & Flatfish.

Those little silver blades?.. I leave the flicker blades on, and if a spoon doesn't have one I add one with a small split-ring. Island Outfitters has little brass & copper ones. If you want other colours, just use nailpolish. You can buy sparkle, white, black, worm-pink or glow colours as well as neons. Take your nieces or daughters with you to the make-up counter to "legitimize" your presence or to Claire's for the odd colours.

The guys & gals in the white coats behind the counter are a real hoot to watch when you bring in your salmon roe or rubber worms to get a colour-match.

Another thing you can add instead of the flicker is to tie onto the ring a few strands of crystal flash.

Cheers!

have watched the vid on changing out the hooks. gammies are easy to find. now just where do you find the other wierd hook with that deep bend??

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

have watched the vid on changing out the hooks. gammies are easy to find. now just where do you find the other wierd hook with that deep bend??

It's called MATZUO, you can buy them at Canadian Tire and on Ebay. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I started using the swivel between the hook and spoon at the beginnig of last season. I also switched the hooks on my spoons over to the Matzuo sickle siwash hooks. In my opinion it's an awesome combination. Those hooks really hold fish!! It was really rare when we lost a fish once hooked up. The hook up ratio is really good too.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

I just use the stock hook but use pliers to give it a knarley snare, then no fuc ing fish gets away. HOORAY!!!!!!

Agree
Stock hooks are shyte , but , with a tweak with 2 sets of needle nose , kick out the hook point portion on a slight angle , fine tune the sharpness , throw er over , works fine , Honestly , the stock " made in USA " rigs are pretty decent ,anyone that has fished with Us , knows 2-3 or 3-4 of our rods are Spoons, Coyotes produce 70 - 80 % of my fish , if ya seen some of our spoons, after it's been slammed all day ,you would laugh as to how they still produce,Eh Dean ( COYOTE SPOONER )I find with spoons , Last trip WCVI , 3 baits.. #1 Spoon = % 80 - #2 = Skirts = % 10 - #3 Anchovy = % 10 ,Again OUR boat , My 2 bits .. ;)..FD
( Charlie , the video looks like a good mod )

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

I fully agree, about 80% of the fish that end up in my boat are on coyote spoons. I do however replace the hooks with Gamigatsu's siwash hooks of the same size. I still leave the metal flipper on the end as it has never seemed to prevent any fish from hitting it as far as I can tell. There is always at least 2 of the 4 rods with the coyotes on and they consistantly out fish everything else!

great information which, of course, begs the question as to which coyote color combos work the 'best' for yuz??? (teds is great, thanks for that tip)

You'll find that the Coyoye spoons are what they used to be.. Having gone overseas for production one can only imagine... Paint flakes off after two or three trips. That's why I got into the spoon business! Plus mine have a deeper dish for increased action...

I have had them painted with ultra violet on one side and glow on the other...

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Back