Islander reel storage

jlaffin

I’m cleaning up and storing gear away for the Winter. What is recommended for Islander reels? Remove line, or leave it on?

Thanks.

I haven't normally stored mine by removing the line - that said, I had 2 TR-3's that needed the reel handles replaced so I had to remove the line. Noted that there was some salt corrosion around area of both handles on inside of the drum. Bear in mind my reels are fishing 100+ days a season so not normal use. Key is to take them apart and clean the inner workings on a regular basis.

I haven't normally stored mine by removing the line - that said, I had 2 TR-3's that needed the reel handles replaced so I had to remove the line. Noted that there was some salt corrosion around area of both handles on inside of the drum. Bear in mind my reels are fishing 100+ days a season so not normal use. Key is to take them apart and clean the inner workings on a regular basis.
Did your spindle wear through the end of the plastic handle so it pulls off? Two of mine did this over the last three months. My mr3s lasted years before handle problems....

Back