How are you setting up spoons?

My son and I are rapidly becoming very addicted to shallow water spoon fishing in our area. 20-40' of water, fast troll. The coho and spring fishing has been so great.
My current set up is, mooching rod/reel, bead/4 oz ball slider/pegged rubber hootchie head/bead chain/leader/spoon. The spoon are for now swivel/split ring/spoon/split ring/hook.

After loosing a large spring at the boat last night, I am wondering who fishes with a swivel between the spoon and hook. I am convinced the fish rolled against the spoon and it pivoted out, but who really knows :)

Any sage advice on spoon fishing this way?

My son and I are rapidly becoming very addicted to shallow water spoon fishing in our area. 20-40' of water, fast troll. The coho and spring fishing has been so great.
My current set up is, mooching rod/reel, bead/4 oz ball slider/pegged rubber hootchie head/bead chain/leader/spoon. The spoon are for now swivel/split ring/spoon/split ring/hook.

After loosing a large spring at the boat last night, I am wondering who fishes with a swivel between the spoon and hook. I am convinced the fish rolled against the spoon and it pivoted out, but who really knows :)

Any sage advice on spoon fishing this way?
I've started putting a swivel at the hook on any gear that I can. Especially for Coho or rainbows. Reduces the loss of a spinner at the boat. 🙉

I tend to not use a swivel at the ring on the spoon. Just tied directly to the spoon.

To avoid the coho roll affect, I have a few things that work.

1 - keep the boat in gear. Definitely slow down but you want to keep the fish swimming. Throttle control and steering can be as important as the person playing the fish.

2 - if you get the coho roll, put some decently firm pressure on the fish and straight it out. Use low pressure from the side and keep the line/ fish in the water. But you gotta get the fish swimming again.

3 - decisive netting and decisive rod work. Be ready to net. Coho are usually small enough that if they are coming at the boat, you can lift the head of the fish out of the water and surf it into the net rather promptly.

But sometimes they just get off

Back