Commander 26 Re Build

I am not sure if you used total boat fairing compound, if you did gel coat is a no go. Total boat fairing compound is an epoxy product. Your gel coat won’t set. You can seal the fairing compound first then
gel coat. I tried it on something and it was an epic fail.
100 percent, all used where evercoat products no epoxy, made him wait with spraying epoxy primer just incase…

Brightside is awesome stuff but to echo those with 1000x the experience I have, I wouldn’t put it in a high wear spot. Goes on real nice with a roller and some finesse though

Attachments

• 38BD94D0-24E7-489D-A75E-F9BD3A72ADA2.jpeg
    38BD94D0-24E7-489D-A75E-F9BD3A72ADA2.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 79
I am not sure if you used total boat fairing compound, if you did gel coat is a no go. Total boat fairing compound is an epoxy product. Your gel coat won’t set. You can seal the fairing compound first then
gel coat. I tried it on something and it was an epic fail.
I
Not something I have used. I’m definitely not a paint or coatings expert but do know the basics. I think you should stick to your gelcoat routine the rest of the boat looks great and will for a long time. Spray the deck with gel and add nonskid to it. Or make a template and get ultradec

Not something I have used. I’m definitely not a paint or coatings expert but do know the basics. I think you should stick to your gelcoat routine the rest of the boat looks great and will for a long time. Spray the deck with gel and add nonskid to it. Or make a template and get ultradeck
If you get ultradeck they already have my boat scan so I'm sure they could just cut you a piece using my stencil.

My 2 cents,stick with gelcoat in this area especially,your going to be treading on that deck for years hopefully. I used topside on my hull interior sides only and regret doing it.I know it will involve lots of hours wetsanding and polishing but in the long run you won't regret it.I'd spray 3 coats over 3 days.

I don't think you've used paint anywhere else have you? You won't have any trouble with your gelcoat color matching and it is easily repairable forever.If you haven't sanded the cockpit to perfection ,you may have small area's you want to fill,even pinholes.Easy fix with gelcoat,not so much with paint. I wish I had stuck with polyester gelcoat throughout my project,it just makes fixes and overcoats simpler .Gelcoat will lift topcoat paint if overlapped I found out.

Last edited:
Another thing that doesn’t feel right is the flybridge, I haven’t made up my mind yet but getting closer. All I know is I won’t be going to the commander rendezvous with the top off…

And this ain’t no tactic to keep the thread going… just trying to prepare some of you guys so nobody has a heart attack

Last edited:
Back