Commander 26 Re Build

Yeah but what’s the point of having the **** and balls of a bull moose if you can’t swing em around once in a while? Use that joystick if you got it
Its a great build and the motors are fancy and all and sorry if I'm busting his balls but you can develop a significantly higher ROT (rate of turn) and more control with a bowthruster. Longevity wise and maintenance ....well I feel it's like buying a smoker with wifi. Once the wifi fails do ya throw the smoker out?

Its a great build and the motors are fancy and all and sorry if I'm busting his balls but you can develop a significantly higher ROT (rate of turn) and more control with a bowthruster. Longevity wise and maintenance ....well I feel it's like buying a smoker with wifi. Once the wifi fails do ya throw the smoker out?
Who are we all kidding here anyways? If you have a big boat with twins you SHOULD be able to walk it sideways without a joystick or bow thruster. Those things are nice, but man talk about taking away the skills needed when you don't have them.

how is the boat build coming? any sight of Ron
The build is coming along great if I can get some time on it.
Ron’s been MIA for over a week, haven’t heard from him. My wife had surgery 3 weeks ago still can’t do anything for another few weeks, I’m picking up and dropping off kids at school everyday. My wife works with me also so I’m doing her job. I’m also doing laundry and cooking for the first time in years. Can’t forget about my full time job, and My grandma just passed away :(
And I just got off antibiotics.
Believe me… it’s coming along great.
Worst time ever for Ron to go MIA

Who are we all kidding here anyways? If you have a big boat with twins you SHOULD be able to walk it sideways without a joystick or bow thruster. Those things are nice, but man talk about taking away the skills needed when you don't have them.
Try running 20 miles and into your moorage slip with a pooched steering ram and only steering using your twins.....fairly tense, lol.

There's no doubt that it can be done, it can and we do, that doesn't mean it can't be better. When you are overwhelmed by a beam wind trying to maneuver the bow (which is at the pivot point) from the stern it is totally inefficient, thats why we put bow thrusters on bigger boats, sometimes next level where it ties into the joystick and computer, we call this dynamic positioning. I love my thruster on my little 305, can spin on a dime FAST without even putting it in gear.

I will be fine without a bow thruster.
That being said it would be a good addition to any boat. I also didn’t buy this set up to dock my boat or replace a bow thruster. I have used one before and my buddy has one on his boat that he now uses even when he doesn’t need to, it’s so convenient, but he has a single main.

There's no doubt that it can be done, it can and we do, that doesn't mean it can't be better. When you are overwhelmed by a beam wind trying to maneuver the bow (which is at the pivot point) from the stern it is totally inefficient, thats why we put bow thrusters on bigger boats, sometimes next level where it ties into the joystick and computer, we call this dynamic positioning. I love my thruster on my little 305, can spin on a dime FAST without even putting it in gear.
If you've got the money, why the hell not. I wouldn't say no to any the bells and whistles if I could. I do agree as well that a bow thruster makes more sense than just joystick controls off the engines. Especially after hearing the 67 shifts it takes for my buddy to dock his rig.

I have been moored near those boats docking with outboards and joysticks.
Its pretty violent and high RPM. Especially on tripples or quads. They create a lot of current and can slam your moored boat around.
They need a lot of thrust as have very little leverage with the angle of the engines.
I too would take a bow thruster over joystick.

Check out this video at 1:52

Last edited:
Update for the day - Ron is coming back!
Ron’s been sick with Covid and I’m a hhmmm bag. Hope you feel better soon Ron.
FYI I’m going to tie us both to the boat until it’s done when you get back ;)

I swear if I was a welder I would probably shoot myself, there is so much grinding. And no these are not the same pics from yesterday.
I also been finding a few blue spots the same colour as the bottem paint, scares the crap out of me every time, but it’s only on the surface.
Not as much progress done as I would like but every bit countsA3750261-9329-4F6D-A735-F53CFABA6D71.jpegFBAD3093-E06F-4E44-B4A4-5A8B4D3EF792.jpeg1DD7CA1F-213A-42A4-890B-AF8E3AFC24C1.jpeg4353273A-0810-4644-B9AD-714F147D6FA0.jpeg

Maybe ease up on the grinding? Oh never mind, grinding rules.

Great thread. I stumbled across the other pseudo epic hourston resto wtf that was thread today and this one wins hands down. Fully funded too, I do not see anything stopping this rig from being in silva bay on the May long. Bam.

The build is coming along great if I can get some time on it.
Ron’s been MIA for over a week, haven’t heard from him. My wife had surgery 3 weeks ago still can’t do anything for another few weeks, I’m picking up and dropping off kids at school everyday. My wife works with me also so I’m doing her job. I’m also doing laundry and cooking for the first time in years. Can’t forget about my full time job, and My grandma just passed away :(
And I just got off antibiotics.
Believe me… it’s coming along great.
Worst time ever for Ron to go MIA
Sounds like you need a Ukrainian nanny. Have the kids swearing in Ukrainian, Russian and English in no time. We need all hands on deck right now.

Everyone’s health is suffering, it seems. I hope you all recover quickly.

No chance of anything getting done on the commander today, unfortunately today is my grandma’s funeral. RIP at 96.
See you all tomorrow

Back