Commander 26 Re Build

Anyone have any recommendations for the rigger mounting locations? Keep them back? Move them towards the cabin?0CC4E0BF-3DBB-4AA2-9A53-02322E10A3D2.jpeg8C1A9E8C-F825-44D7-B97F-341E35BE347E.png94612C17-06E7-4550-A43D-C7388D58BD76.png

I’m hearing a bit of personal preference for fighting a fish, should I be also thinking about keeping my rigger cables as far away from my props as possible? Or just worry about being comfortable fighting a fish.

I’m hearing a bit of personal preference for fighting a fish, should I be also thinking about keeping my rigger cables as far away from my props as possible? Or just worry about being comfortable fighting a fish.
I don't understand the difference

With a pod your props will be well behind the riggers,no worries.I agree with about 2 Ft. forward so you can lean against the stern when reaching out for your clip.

I don't understand the difference
There's a lot of places where the cables will be 45 degrees back, and 45 degrees under the boat (left or right). Think Thrasher rock / Gabriola area during big current / tide swings.

In those areas, when you put the riggers as aft most as possible, you stand a chance of getting the cables out behind the props before they move 45 degrees to the side of the boat. If you mid ship mount the riggers the cables will be under the boat.

Lots of guys don't fish in those crazy currents... those are the guys who say mount midship.

If you plan to fish in the big currents / tide changes.. as aft as you can and still be comfortable.

There's a lot of places where the cables will be 45 degrees back, and 45 degrees under the boat (left or right). Think Thrasher rock / Gabriola area during big current / tide swings.

In those areas, when you put the riggers as aft most as possible, you stand a chance of getting the cables out behind the props before they move 45 degrees to the side of the boat. If you mid ship mount the riggers the cables will be under the boat.

Lots of guys don't fish in those crazy currents... those are the guys who say mount midship.

If you plan to fish in the big currents / tide changes.. as aft as you can and still be comfortable.

I second this.
My riggers are mounted midship by the previous owner. I was fishing Howe sound one winter during a heavy outflow and on a turn my cable wrapped the prop. Nightmare. My situation is slightly different since I have an I/O, but in the right conditions I assume this can still happen on OB's.
I tell myself that on my next boat i will mount as far back as possible while still able to comfortably reach for the release clip.

On my other boat, I have my riggers mounted on the back corners, I don’t have a prop guard on my 9.9 and never had a issue getting to close to my prop or catching my prop.
I would love to move my riggers back a shoulders length, makes most sense to make room to fight fish. I do also like the look of them more moved backed. At the end of the day I want to mount them with the least possibility of catching my prop as I’m going to be trolling on mains.
I’m planning to spray gel tomorrow and want to level out an area for the riggers, C99663F9-5F1C-43C8-A0CC-E4EAFAFC4730.jpeg
The old nonskid protrudes a bit and will non be a flush mount unless I level a bit of it…. And for some reason I keep coming back to the side mount idea.

Here’s a couple pics of todays progress on the deck joint.A6AFA05B-F546-4539-B79C-A9ED0AB5027D.jpeg27A2CFF3-74BA-438F-BE87-7F971EF9B007.jpeg

The further back the less chance of getting lines in the props. I’d put them pretty far back towards the corners but just a little space like others have mentioned. Mine are right on the corners and this allows for sharp maneuvering. Also allows more room boat side when spun back to net fish.

It’s easy to swivel/ turn the riggers forward when setting gear if you choose to mount right in the back corner where it looks to be space to mount easily with a swivel mounted base

The further back the less chance of getting lines in the props. I’d put them pretty far back towards the corners but just a little space like others have mentioned. Mine are right on the corners and this allows for sharp maneuvering. Also allows more room boat side when spun back to net fish.
Mine are mounted pretty much right on the corners as well and it’s nice to have the corner to wedge yourself into when letting the gear out. I extend the boom on the port side where the kicker is and leave it short on the other side. Bamfield was a good test of my new Burnewiin rod holders and the Scotty boom mounts are just used to hold the clip now.61CAA34E-9A00-417B-9347-F3B6DA5ECA8A.jpeg

Mine are mounted pretty much right on the corners as well and it’s nice to have the corner to wedge yourself into when letting the gear out. I extend the boom on the port side where the kicker is and leave it short on the other side. Bamfield was a good test of my new Burnewiin rod holders and the Scotty boom mounts are just used to hold the clip now.View attachment 82682
Squire, did your boat come with the black “measuring tape” piece or did you add that?

Back