Commander 26 Re Build

This fibreglassing has to end soon :)
Finished up the floor to where I’m comfortable I will have enough room and access for the pod mounting hardware. Reinforced the rear cabin wall with a layer of mat from top to bottom. And tabbed with roving.BE380AD0-8428-46F0-A158-15A514CC72BE.jpeg77A08E76-8A7B-46D4-B3B0-87B6876E77BC.jpeg16948C2C-476A-4549-BA30-F9088059E969.jpegEEBD2C19-EF25-4487-B39B-7FC479726B25.jpeg

Stick with gelcoat is my experience. Makes it easy going forward for repairs and touch ups without worrying about epoxy matching or sprays

Custom pod going to get built by Adrenalin and Lordship.
Haven’t really seen anything with the dimensions I need pre made. Most are 30”, The pod needs to be close to 44” long for the motors to fully tilt up according to my measurements,
What are you planning to put on for power ? 44 seems rather long.

Twin 250 yammy
The angle of the transom and the little hump add up to 13” past my pod. 250 yammy needs 29” to till all the way up. 42” pod would be minimum

I get itchy just looking at your pictures.

I develop feelings of inadequacy and wonder, at the dedication, skills, and perseverance that so many of you on here have.

It has taken me 2+ years to tidy up a one car garage/workshop, and it is not yet done.

Mind you my twins, meet ADHD and OCD, try to help, but for the most part just cause me to start over again and again.

Great progress!
I'm curious how many layers of mat do you put on non structural faces (cabin wall, sides etc)

Great progress!
I'm curious how many layers of mat do you put on non structural faces (cabin wall, sides etc)
The rear cabin wall was my concern as there was some cracking in the ply from a couple stress points. I felt there was a need to reinforce that area. The cabin walls/ sides where tabbed into place only and I don’t see a need to mat the entire side. All the ply is coated with resin.

Wish I had the motors here… or some type of 250 to double check.
The one built is 42” to the motor mounting. Unless the motors tilt up into the space under the hump ( also add 1” for the guard rail ) , there is no way a standard or smaller pod will work. I’m sure a few inches can be knocked of if the motors tuck in under the hump a bit or kiss the hump, or tilt is adjusted. And yes I did add a couple inches to be safe. EC75F012-D4B6-44A6-9B52-03B874ED5157.jpeg

Wish I had the motors here… or some type of 250 to double check.
The one built is 42” to the motor mounting. Unless the motors tilt up into the space under the hump ( also add 1” for the guard rail ) , there is no way a standard or smaller pod will work. I’m sure a few inches can be knocked of if the motors tuck in under the hump a bit or kiss the hump, or tilt is adjusted. And yes I did add a couple inches to be safe. View attachment 81920
Maybe someone could throw a tape on the Commander for sale in Alberni with twins? And take a couple of pics?

The outboard manufacturer will usually have CAD drawings of the motor / mount / trim positions available if you ask. I had them from Mercury before for a build I was working on. Ask your motor provider for the drawings.

Maybe try here and see if you find what you need.... I didn't dig into it because I didn't want to register;

Back