Columbians "Myth or Fact" & "POST"

Charlie, you have way to much free time on your hands. :D

I'm sticking with what I know and what you admitted, never caught one in Sooke. However that doesn't mean we don't catch other US chinook and right now we really appreciate your hatchery program or things would be really grim here at times. Keep up the good work!! :)

Again Charlie, not to steal your thunder but POST is, and it is mentioned everywhere on the website you referred to, setup up to track outmigrating juveniles. The technology is not set up to last long enough to track returning mature salmon and their migration routes. That juveniles out-migrate along the shelf does not mean at all that they turn around in Alaska and follow the same route back to the rivers to spawn. It is widely accepted knowledge that salmon use the circular current patterns in the Pacific to follow food and save energy on their vast migration.

Fact is from DFO wire code data over many years that you would have to catch over 100 springs in April, May, early June in JDF in order to find ONE Columbian. So, profisher, wolf & co. - who of you experts has ever caught more than 100 springs during that period? Hmmm... Yeah, thought so. And based on that would you still speak of this so famous "Columbian" run in the JDF in springtime? Hmmm...

I think the data is pretty clear no matter which way you turn it.

well said Chris, I think if any do make their way down JDF its purely by accident not by any planned migration route.

Just look at how many springs the columbian produced this last season, we should have seen a big bump of them in the spring.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - Charter Draw Dec. 20th

I have to raise my hand for more than 100 in June. There used to be some good numbers back in the late 80's early 90's. I've had days of 12 or more springs in a day. Last June came close to those numbers on many days. Had I been busier with more charters and longer days I may have topped that number. But still no tagged Columbian's in my take. I think we need to stop calling them Columbians.."Stubbies" is just fine..reminds me of the old days and my favorite Canadian beer.

Ok, profisher, it's hard to believe someone could catch 100 large springs in 10 weeks that early in the year but because it's you I want to believe it ;) But did you have to spoil my argument!!?? :D

So here's a couple of bonafide "Columbians" ... we call them "Fall Chinook". With so many tributaries and varying strains of salmon, there are many differnent kinds...Some are fat, some are long. The dark ones, native and destined for tributaries in the lower Columbia are called Tules (too - lees). CW
36lbKalamaChinook8-24-06.jpg
[/img]

Winns33lbKalamaHog.jpg
9-7-03ChrissChinook006.jpg
[/img]

DanLanes38lbChinook008.jpg
[/img]

Satisfaction: 23' Aluminum Thunderjet with Ford 460 salmon fishing the Columbia River

Those pictures are not the same fish we see here in June. If I can figure out photo bucket I'll post some prime examples of early June stubbies.

IMG]http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/rollierose/2002june265.jpg[/IMG]

I posted some useful sites regarding Columbia River salmon in ta thread in the Freshwater forum. First the smelt will arrive in February and then the springers won't be far behind. CW

quote:Originally posted by profisher

I have to raise my hand for more than 100 in June. There used to be some good numbers back in the late 80's early 90's. I've had days of 12 or more springs in a day. Last June came close to those numbers on many days. Had I been busier with more charters and longer days I may have topped that number. But still no tagged Columbian's in my take. I think we need to stop calling them Columbians.."Stubbies" is just fine..reminds me of the old days and my favorite Canadian beer.
I concur on those big numbers in June years ago, although we fished Portland Pt (offshore) and not on the surfline.

BTW.. last year was as good. ;)

Back