Coated or Bare CannonBalls?

just got a few coated ones for the first time a few weeks ago. Haven't seen a difference yet but apparently they glow (can't hurt right?) and they also don't mark up the boat as much if they make contact. not expecting much difference in terms of fish caught.

I spray bomb they bright orange and green. The paint or coated is good because they are cleaner then raw lead. Also colour balls work to help when fishing for lake trout, we fish our lures tight to the balls. The bright colour is easy to see when coming up though the water. One bouns is when your pulling you rigger up and the line snaps you can watch you bright $40 15lbs ball sink to the bottom just a little bit longer because it nice and bright!!!

Coated (especially glow) acts to attract fish. It also keeps you from getting lead on your hands which is highly toxic, especially when you use that hand to grab some oily chips or a sandwich after handling the ball. That only works until you drag the ball across the bottom a few times and break the seal on the coating which allows sea water under the seal creating even more lead oxidation which rubs off on your hand. We should all use gloves but I confess that I don't.

"QUOTE FROM BLACK BOX WEBSITE"
Bare lead downrigger weights usually produce a harmful charge. Impurities that are present in the lead cause the problem. Scrap lead from auto wheel weights can be particularly bad because it contains antimony (tin). The best practice is to use only coated weights. Coated weights are readily available on the market,

I make them and have a lot of reports back from people re an increased hit ratio running coated balls. There are a lot of wieghts being sold out there that are made from toire weights and mixed metals which the theory is can produce a charge as per black box website. I am not sure if the hit ratio is higher because of the uv colors reflecting light or if the coating is eliminating any harmful charge or maybe a combination of both. I only use lead and do not use tire wights in the process. My most popular colors are UV green UV orange and lots of good reports on the glo for bottom fishing hali etc. as well as springs.

if you think about it most of what we buy are UV or glo - flashers, hootchies, kona's etc whay not use UV or glow cannonballs. I have spoken with people who have been running them for years. Many people have different colors for different water conditions and depths. Serveral people who fish a lot tried the UV green and repoted increased hit ratio's on the coated vs uncoated and are firm belivers in running coated balls.

Just my opionion any further thoughts on this 1?

, the coated balls protect yourself and the environment form lead contaminants, wont mark up your boat and minimize electrical fields associated with mixed metals. just some food for thought -

I've never had any trouble catching fish with bare balls. Besides, do you want the fish attracted to the cannonballs or your flasher and lure/bait?

Dave

in my opinion I'd rather not draw attention to the cannon ball with a bright coating, I'd prefer the fish following my gear. 99% of the time I have a big flasher flailing about, if I'm not getting hits I don't think its because I don't have enough brightly colored flashing sh*t down there.

If more color and flash was the answer we'd all be running Kone Zone daisy chains - but I'm sure some guys swear by the glow balls and other options. I could be cheap and lazy but I don't think fancy balls are worth the cost.

I guess I'll need to actual do a side by side test this season and find out, I'm not convinced though.

and if you are trolling on the wrong street downtown with bare balls i heard you can catch crabs too!!

What about the believer's in running coated balls is there a specific color you run in certain area's ? for certain species? for certain depths? I am sure htere are many varied opinions about this.

What about the believer's in running coated balls is there a specific color you run in certain area's ? for certain species? for certain depths? I am sure htere are many varied opinions about this.

In West Vancouver area you can do well with bare balls or pink. :eek:

I use coffee tins full of concrete, in Sooke it has to be a MJB coffee tin, everywhere else Folgers will do.

that must be a real drag- I heard if you get a Starbucks tin you get TYEEEE!!! instead of shakers.

new colors for 2013 green /glo called the go green special , black/glo- Nite Rider- as coined by Hookin up, Need a name for the Blue/Glo - looking for suggestions. Balls available in usual colors, half glo, and full glo.UV Green, Blue, Chartruese and Black. Monogrammed balls for the fisherman that has everything too!.
Delivery available. Tight lines.
Rich(Mr. Ed)
GoGreen
604-512-8775
604-512-8775001.jpg060.jpghookinup.jpgBluepearl.jpg007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey craven got blue balls now ,lol

Back