Coated or Bare CannonBalls?

Umm - I meant no offense - you never know what another person understands or has been taught, so purely from a discussion POV...
Its my understanding that the potential voltage is between the zinc anode and the lead - the ss wire is only the conductor ( minus the voltage diff between ss and lead, which are close on the galv scale )
Since you have .8v or so on the entire length of cable ( nominally, w std bonding and typical amount of zinc anode )BETWEEN the lead and zinc the BB is NOT applying voltage to the ss wire, rather, it is reducing the voltage created by the metals to the .6-.65 level. ( shunt to ground thru BB? with some of the pv going thru the BB circuit to hull ground instead of the battery ground) maybe someone w elec engineering could wade in???
I did test this several times when I fished from my old alum boat - I even once went so far to make polished SS pancake weights one winter to test.
A digital voltmeter would show various voltages between the ss wire and hull ground depending on BB setting. The change to SS weights made a dramatic change in BB setting ( but sadly horrible effect on blowback - the surface area to weight of ss is just not high enough compared to lead, no matter how hydrodynamic a shape you try )
No doubt, you must be correct about applying a voltage to the ss wire that grounds back to the hull anode and how fast that would dissipate

One other thing...the risk with uncoated lead and ss wire is having TOO MUCH voltage and you repel fish - one test I did confirm, was making a half played out fish next to the boat go epileptic when you raised the BB dial and the downrigger wire n ball were still in the water.
I gave up with the BB sys and voltage testing because it seemed a complication that needs to be monitored closely. My respect goes to anyone who can make use of it

Good old winter blues forum discussion.... E-chip flashers vs bare flasher should be the next debate ;)

I use mostly coated balls now. UV glow white. I usually fish the banks offshore of Ukee. We usually fish quite deep. I buy mine from PNT in Coombs and they are high quality. The coating looks new even after a year or two of use. I have bare balls always on stand by ( I usually have four 15's in glow and two 15's in bare on board at all times). I used to always use bare balls and quite honestly haven't seen a real difference in the Sound or shallower water. Offshore fishing deep I think there may be a minor difference or advantage to having the coated glow balls. I like the coating on the ones I buy from PNT and they last. I just like the extra attraction that the glow balls possibly give out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite entertaining. I have to agree with our PHD friend, there isn't any scientific reason why shooting a current down a wire is going to have that much attractive affect. My guess is if we put two comparable fishermen side by side in different boats running the same exact gear to test the theory what we would find is we would get fairly similar results. Funny thing this season, is I had no problems catching fish. In August I could tell I had an electric leak on the boat as I noticed some corrosion on one side of the boat. I couldn't locate the problem until the swim ladder was removed and we discovered that there was a wire crimped behind the bolts attaching it, creating a leak. So, we were creating an electric current from the boat most of the season and still had no problem whacking them. So, I'm not totally convinced about this electrical thing...or maybe my braid saved the day and stopped the discharge from running down the wire.

As for coated balls, not all balls are created equal. Quality definitely varies greatly, so buyer beware...check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/tackletesting

that's the thing with braid, IF there is an electrical issue it takes it completely out of the equation. But hey both work, I just really sick of losing balls and pricking my fingers on wire.

Lol obviously somebody is jelous gee wonder who!!! If anybody who has bought my balls and are not happy with them please contact me direct pm please. I have reports of people bouncing and dragging with no problems I do not drag my self but not 1 person or shop as complained or said anything to me about quality of the balls and coating just that they love them and there better then some already out there. I will call as many people as I can today to get feedback as I always do a few weeks after any sale anyways but wow lol I think it's great for somebody to go out of there way like this means I am doing something right with my product. A GREAT PRODUCT GREAT GUY WITH LOADS OF RESPECT AND PRICED RIGHT = tons of sales litterally =). Tight lines and happy days somebody should enjoy life as much as the rest of us do. It's not like I don't have haters on the mainland too.

Tony

Volume discounts . With enough notice I can make any amount you need.

Ok. From the video I learned not to take a knife or torch to my balls.

wow ,that sure stired up a shitload of controversy- must be winter

Screw braid and cable. I have searched high and low for a Kevlar braid for my down riggers because I am fairly certain it will out perform both. I never could find any. Imagine a braid way stronger than cable or braid and half the thickness of cable. I am a braid guy but if I could I would be a Kevlar guy. Now if I could only find some.

The voltage thing...... voodoo magic if you ask me. lol I hear that coho's like it hot!

Lol obviously somebody is jelous gee wonder who!!! If anybody who has bought my balls and are not happy with them please contact me direct pm please. I have reports of people bouncing and dragging with no problems I do not drag my self but not 1 person or shop as complained or said anything to me about quality of the balls and coating just that they love them and there better then some already out there. I will call as many people as I can today to get feedback as I always do a few weeks after any sale anyways but wow lol I think it's great for somebody to go out of there way like this means I am doing something right with my product. A GREAT PRODUCT GREAT GUY WITH LOADS OF RESPECT AND PRICED RIGHT = tons of sales litterally =). Tight lines and happy days somebody should enjoy life as much as the rest of us do. It's not like I don't have haters on the mainland too.

Tony

Volume discounts . With enough notice I can make any amount you need.

Hey man, all I'm saying is shop around. I have had some coated balls that peel off when dragged on the bottom - which is what I do a lot. I have no idea if yours are any good. Just saying I look for quality for that reason....and when I came across this you tube clip it demonstrated my point. No offense intended to your product.

Screw braid and cable. I have searched high and low for a Kevlar braid for my down riggers because I am fairly certain it will out perform both. I never could find any. Imagine a braid way stronger than cable or braid and half the thickness of cable. I am a braid guy but if I could I would be a Kevlar guy. Now if I could only find some.

Something 250lb pound test and thinner than braid would be cool. Anything stronger, and hangups could start damaging downriigger attachments, booms, or worse, anchoring smaller boats stern first into a possible current, filling the boat while you look for the knife.

Back